April 18, 2014, 04:04:03 PM

Author Topic: 2013 Predictions for Canon EOS Products  (Read 11561 times)

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Predictions for Canon EOS Products
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »
Nikon just announced the DX (1.5X crop) D7100.  Shipping in March.
1. 24.1 Mpx
2. 51 point autofocus  :)  :)
3. $1.199.95
BTW NO antialiseing filter!!

Can the Canon 70D match the specs and price ???

dayam! kind of makes me wish i never sold all my nikon gear
to answer your question the 70D will go no where near that
it will be a 6D body with the 18MP sensor LOLZZzz

If the 7D2 specs are true, you may never regret that decision.

nah using 5Dmk3s and lenses like the 16-35 f2.8L II and 70-200 f2.8L IS II already make me not regret that decision
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »
Nikon just announced the DX (1.5X crop) D7100.  Shipping in March.
1. 24.1 Mpx
2. 51 point autofocus  :)  :)
3. $1.199.95
BTW NO antialiseing filter!!

Can the Canon 70D match the specs and price ???

dayam! kind of makes me wish i never sold all my nikon gear
to answer your question the 70D will go no where near that
it will be a 6D body with the 18MP sensor LOLZZzz

If the 7D2 specs are true, you may never regret that decision.

nah using 5Dmk3s and lenses like the 16-35 f2.8L II and 70-200 f2.8L IS II already make me not regret that decision

The specs of the D7100 definitely don't make me regret going Canon in the first place. With bird photography, the lack of an AA filter would be a disaster. I am also firmly of the belief that the softness with high density Canon sensors like the 18mp is not the fault of Canon's AA filters. When I slap on any one of the Mark II telephotos, all the softness I've experienced with older L-series lenses disappears. The IQ with the newer lenses is unbelievably sharp and clear, which makes me believe the notions of "overly aggressive" AA filters in Canon gear are overblown, and based on a misunderstanding of where that softness comes from.

I have no complaints whatsoever about the IQ when using the newest generation of Canon lenses (although honestly, I don't quite include my EF 16-35 f/2.8 L II in that group...its MTF is good, but not as good as the lenses released over the last couple of years, and I do experience some softness with that lens on my 7D.) I actually hope Canon keeps the AA filters a part of their lineup, and if they ever decide to create a camera without one, that they always make it an OPTIONAL body subtype.

Of course, Nikon currently isn't going through and releasing significantly improved versions of their entire lens lineup....and if they stay that course, if their future generations of cameras start outresolving the lenses enough, they won't ever actually need an AA filter...the lens will tackle the softening of high frequency detail instead.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Lawliet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »
I actually hope Canon keeps the AA filters a part of their lineup, and if they ever decide to create a camera without one, that they always make it an OPTIONAL body subtype.

Canon gave DPP that IPSF tool to deal with the negative aspects of the AA filter and some lens errors - they gain less then Nikon from leaving the filter out. Not that the difference is that large, at least once you're out of the lab.
I'd guess the filter stays, esp. with Canons affinity to video and the problem off removing artefacts from that many pictures. Thats unless common sense has to take a backseat because of marketing decisions.

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:20 PM »
I actually hope Canon keeps the AA filters a part of their lineup, and if they ever decide to create a camera without one, that they always make it an OPTIONAL body subtype.

Canon gave DPP that IPSF tool to deal with the negative aspects of the AA filter and some lens errors - they gain less then Nikon from leaving the filter out. Not that the difference is that large, at least once you're out of the lab.
I'd guess the filter stays, esp. with Canons affinity to video and the problem off removing artefacts from that many pictures. Thats unless common sense has to take a backseat because of marketing decisions.

You can't really remove moire in post. You can try, but the only way to really do it is blur the detail by a significant degree in those areas. When properly done, the use of an AA filter INCREASES your ability to resolve fine detail usefully. There are some forms of photography where having no AA filter is great, and rarely if ever leaves you with the need to clean up or soften areas of your photos in post...a lot of (but not all) landscape photography is like this. However the cases where aliasing and moire present are quite considerable. Even assuming you have excellent tools in post to deal with them, it is just extra work that an AA filter does for you. And that extra work can be costly even if you are not dealing with video, and for the kind of stuff I shoot, I'd experience both moire and aliasing all too frequently.

As I mentioned before...given my experience with the 7D and a number of Canon's newest lenses, I completely disagree with the notion that the AA filter is too strong. With a good lens, sharpness and detail are top notch, not a hint of softness to be found...and neither is there any aliasing or moire either. I'll happily keep my AA filter in lieu of having extra crap to deal with in post.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

trygved

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Youngblood Photography
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 11:34:45 PM »
I'd imagine EOS Me stands for "Mirrorless / electric viewfinder" :P
If not, then beats Me.
FUJI X100S

canon rumors FORUM