October 21, 2014, 03:56:43 AM

Author Topic: 6D logical upgrade from 7D?  (Read 13837 times)

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
Re: 6D logical upgrade from 7D?
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2013, 05:12:55 AM »
When I had the 7D I knew it had a better focussing system than the 5D Mk II - I also new that the 5D Mk II was a better camera.

I had a 7D 'top of the range ' APS-C camera whereas the Mk II was the bottom of the range FF Canon Camera, I would have love to have UPGRADED to the FF but even then could not afford the difference.

Have a look where the 7D sits in the current Canon line up compared to the 6D - therefore the 6D is an upgrade to the 7D - I can't make it any simpler for you......

What point are you trying to make here? The 6D is an upgrade for IQ, no question, but not for framerate and AF coverage/customisation, they serve different purposes so the upgrade you speak of is not black and white. It depends on what your priorities are....

I agree with you 100%

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2013, 05:12:55 AM »

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2013, 05:13:39 AM »
The best alternative to the 5D3 would be the 6D and 7D!

6D for still imagery, low light af, full frame advantages. Basically the best all rounder.
7D for sports, moving subjects, optical flash, crop factor.

Great idea!!

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2013, 05:19:11 AM »

6D for still imagery, low light af, full frame advantages. Basically the best all rounder.

I have considered going this route, the only thing is I would prefer to have all the features in one body (obviously the 5D III does not have a built in flash), I prefer to keep weight and bulk down but it sure is an option!
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2013, 05:28:27 AM »

I have considered going this route, the only thing is I would prefer to have all the features in one body (obviously the 5D III does not have a built in flash), I prefer to keep weight and bulk down but it sure is an option!
Not being able to trigger slave flashes is also a pain...  :-\ 7D can do it via onboard flash (optically) but 6D can't...

Anyway I still shoot with my T2i (almost identical in terms of image performance to 7D) when I need something lighter and that "extra reach" that APSC gives you. Plus I only own one telephoto lens (55-250).

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2013, 08:29:17 AM »

Not being able to trigger slave flashes is also a pain...  :-\ 7D can do it via onboard flash (optically) but 6D can't...

Anyway I still shoot with my T2i (almost identical in terms of image performance to 7D) when I need something lighter and that "extra reach" that APSC gives you. Plus I only own one telephoto lens (55-250).

Good luck...... Canon do not put pop up flashes in any of their FF cameras, I use an ST-E3 to trigger my 600ex-rts and I also have a 550ex and a 580ex ii if I would ever need to do optical off camera flash.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »
The only thing you've managed to make clear is that you don't understand the concept of 'fit for purpose'.
Oh well you have made it clear that at least you know a little something about cars!!

Not about Chevys, I had to Google that. But I do know a little something about cameras and their uses. Just a little.

What point are you trying to make here? The 6D is an upgrade for IQ, no question, but not for framerate and AF coverage/customisation, they serve different purposes so the upgrade you speak of is not black and white. It depends on what your priorities are....
I agree with you 100%

So it seems that you do understand that the 6D is a downgrade from the 7D in terms of fps and AF performance excluding the center point's low light sensitivity. That's good.

The 6D is a substantial upgrade to the 7D in terms of sensor IQ. 

But here's the thing - if the lesser AF of the 6D misses focus or the slower fps of the 6D misses the 'key moment' in a burst, the better sensor IQ of the 6D is useless. 

That's the point - the 6D and the 7D are different cameras, optimized for different uses. If your use case is not the one that camera is optimized for, it's not an upgrade...for you.

Having both is certainly an option - that's why I had both the 7D and 5DII for quite a while.  But carrying two cameras is not very convenient, so having great IQ and great AF in one body was the upgrade that I chose.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
But here's the thing - if the lesser AF of the 6D misses focus [...]

I presume you are talking about shooting in burst mode only.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2013, 02:21:58 PM »
But here's the thing - if the lesser AF of the 6D misses focus [...]
I presume you are talking about shooting in burst mode only.

Not necessarily.  Shooting a moving subject, particularly toward/away movement, and especially that sort of subject with an outer AF point.  The [not quoted] bit about missing a key moment was in reference to the faster burst rate of the 7D.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
You are correct... I do portrait, landscape and macro work....... Hence its a massive upgrade for me. One thing I do not miss with the 7D is that it handled noise poorly!

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2013, 08:05:56 PM »
The 6D can lose focus during servo tracking, when leaving all points active...because for some reason it wants to rely on the outer points more than the center point...even when the target object is right over the center point.  In my opinion, this is a big part of the reason the 6D loses focus lock during servo tracking.  It's not so much that it won't "hand off" between all the outer points...it's that they won't hand off to the center point (which is quite a capable point...admittedly the outer points are not very capable on their own.) 

If the 6D simply allowed the center point to dominate (when all points are active)...rather than get passed over, the camera would do much better.  Certainly in good light with a decent telephoto lens, if you leave only the center point active, and keep that point over the object you're tracking...even especially when the object is moving toward you (less so when moving away)...well in this situation I get about 8 out of 10 shots in focus...even in less than ideal light.  It's more like 9 to 10 out of 10 in focus, in bright outdoor light.  Of course if the background or foreground is busy, or has more contrast than the object...and these subject matter are very close to the target object in the field of view...yes the 6D can lose lock that way as well.  So in less than ideal light with all points active, while servo tracking...I agree the hit rate drops to anywhere from 6 to a terrible 3 out of 10...especially for a fairly fast moving subject.  But then that's why you pay the extra $1100+/- for the 5D3...Again the two cameras weren't meant to compete with each other directly.  It's just that in some aspects they do.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:10:26 PM by CarlTN »

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »

Good luck...... Canon do not put pop up flashes in any of their FF cameras, I use an ST-E3 to trigger my 600ex-rts and I also have a 550ex and a 580ex ii if I would ever need to do optical off camera flash.

Going to buy a RF603 and a few Yongnuo 560 III! Radio triggering FTW!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »