September 19, 2014, 03:54:53 PM

Poll

As it seems we may be getting closer to an actual 7D Mark II. I ask you, how would you prefer your 7D Mark II to be served:

With WiFi but no GPS
6 (6.7%)
With WiFi and GPS
14 (15.6%)
With GPS but no WiFi
8 (8.9%)
No GPS and no WiFi
16 (17.8%)
Give me all the options but allow me to turn them on and off as I choose.
46 (51.1%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: 7D Mark ii with WiFi/GPS or Without?  (Read 9331 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 7D Mark ii with WiFi/GPS or Without?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:34 AM »
And, for that matter, can we please just have the articulating screen already? Anyone that doesn't like it can just LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS. Seriously, I've needed one this entire week...and no, I don't want to go buy a dedicated monitor. That's a stupid suggestion.
Maybe a delicate articulating monitor is an equally stupid suggestion for a supposedly rugged (OK semi-rugged) camera....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:34 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 06:17:09 AM »
As it seems, we may be getting closer to an actual 7D Mark II. I ask you, how would you prefer your 7D Mark II to be served?

And would you pay extra for the additional perks like WiFi and GPS?
1 .I wouldn't pay for gimmicks that I do not want to use:
2. Sealing could be compromised
3. I do not trust Canon to make a camera able to turn them off 100% to avoid battery drain.

Leejo

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Still relearning the same things...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 06:30:41 AM »
As far as I am concerened, it's a matter of compromise like everything else.
I assume that both WiFi and GPS can be turned off - that's commonsense to me.
As some have commented I don't think that the components are too costly to affect the price significantly.
I have the 7D and the general robustness, and "reasonable" weather prrofing was one of the important purchasing critieria.
If this can be maintained with all/any of the options WiFi, GPS, Flipscreen then I can personally appreciate them for their their occasional usage, and would factor this into the price consideration.
I appreciate other users may have either none/lower or higher needs for each, depending on their usage.
I think that Canon will however position the 7D Mark II as an allrounder - and if Video is a selling point then the flipscreen sounds feasible.

The question then remains however - what will differentiate this from the 70D? I see the better framerate,  focusing, better controls (joystick), better build, and AFMA the difference for now from the 7D over the 60D - at the expense of flipscreen and updated Video. But if can we assume that the 70D comes first - what will that have over the 60D ? I can only assume adding WiFi and GPS in that body (as per 6D equivalence).  I can't see them taking away the general Video functions. The sensor could be either only slightly or much improved. If the latter however how will the 7D excel, except for frame rate unless the sensor should be even better.

I guess that we are getting infos on the the 70D and 7D here - the 70D to get the GPS and WiFi and Video Flipscreen - similar to the 6D.
The 7D to get the new sensor, focusing and some upgrades in the Video capabilities - as per 5D Mark III.
Maybe this shows my bias to the 7D - but I simply don't expect that it will have everything - unless this is Canon's attempt at the last answer in that area, and they are going to throw everything in that they can in the current ultimate crop camera...
Canon 7D

azezal

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 08:15:27 AM »
I hope we get a 7d without a GPS and WiFi option at a slightly lower cost,I'd buy it
Anonymity is a blessing,Ignorance is bliss

Eclectik

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »
+1 with you, Azezal. Unfortunately, it seems we are few.

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »
Has canon ever made a weather sealed body with a swivel screen? Not commenting on what they CAN do, just historical precedent... If they ditch weather sealing in favor of a swivel screen, I'm picking up another 7d classic in a heartbeat to have a second body.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »
I'd prefer built in RT triggering for speedlites.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »
I hope we get a 7d without a GPS and WiFi option at a slightly lower cost,I'd buy it
Such a camera already exists ... its called the EOS 7D ... its a great camera ... and its on sale these days ... so no need to wait for 7D II
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »
And if you can't use wifi or gps because of the metal body..... how do you think it manages to talk to a wireless flash???

The best camera is the one in your hands

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:33 AM »
And if you can't use wifi or gps because of the metal body..... how do you think it manages to talk to a wireless flash???

The same way I can put RT speedlites through solid steel walls & doors.

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »
Also, the antenna that will be used for wifi will probably be the same antenna used for communicating to your speedlight..... and it will probably also have the gps antenna as part of the same unit. It is far cheaper for canon to use 1 antenna design for ALL of it's cameras than to make different units and stock different replacement parts. Likewise, the touchscreen display...

You can expect these features on every DSLR to be released.

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »
+1 with you, Azezal. Unfortunately, it seems we are few.
I'm even in a smaller group, no GPS, no WiFi, no swivel screen, and no touch screen. 

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »
Also, the antenna that will be used for wifi will probably be the same antenna used for communicating to your speedlight..... and it will probably also have the gps antenna as part of the same unit. It is far cheaper for canon to use 1 antenna design for ALL of it's cameras than to make different units and stock different replacement parts. Likewise, the touchscreen display...

You can expect these features on every DSLR to be released.

Nah, I wouldn't even want a GPS/Wifi antenna. Just a dedicated RT controller built in body.

Infact, to the OP, add RT controller on the list and I'd vote for that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
As to durability/protection... the articulated screen may be more protected than a normal screen.... flip it around when not in use and the glass is protected. You just don't hear stories of the screens breaking off, it seems to be a very reliable design. I'm sure it happens, but you also hear stories of broken non-articulated screens. The Canon repair department would probably have a much better idea than us as to how much of a problem it really is.

As to waterproofing.... lots of buttons, knobs, and dials to be waterproofed. Buttons are easy, knobs and dials a bit harder to do well, but an articulated screen is a nightmare.... one part twists, one part swivels, it would be just about impossible to waterproof the whole assembly..... but you could waterproof past the ends of the articulating assembly where the parts are not moving. I am led to believe that's what was done on the 60D. The screen may be better sealed than the memory card door or the battery compartment :)

As to usefullness... when I walk around I never use the articulated screen. On a tripod I seldom use the articulated screen, but when needed it is very handy. For astrophotography, I use it a lot and think it is indenspensable.

Dantana

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
It's interesting that if something new is going to be added to an upcoming camera, there are two reactions:

1. If you think you need it, you refer to it as a feature.

2. If you think you don't, it's a gimmick.

There are plenty of "features" that I will probably never use. Just turn them off. As for the issue of compromising the build quality/seal, I don't think Canon is putting themselves in that position since they are releasing both a 70D and a 7D II. Besides, the 7D already has a pop-up flash. I'm not sure how that can be considered sealed.
6D, 20 2.8, 35 2.0, 40 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 24-105 4L, 2x III, Speedlite 430EX II, Rokinon 14 2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »