September 18, 2014, 08:07:42 AM

Poll

As it seems we may be getting closer to an actual 7D Mark II. I ask you, how would you prefer your 7D Mark II to be served:

With WiFi but no GPS
6 (6.7%)
With WiFi and GPS
14 (15.6%)
With GPS but no WiFi
8 (8.9%)
No GPS and no WiFi
16 (17.8%)
Give me all the options but allow me to turn them on and off as I choose.
46 (51.1%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: 7D Mark ii with WiFi/GPS or Without?  (Read 9315 times)

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Re: 7D Mark ii with WiFi/GPS or Without?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »
And if you can't use wifi or gps because of the metal body..... how do you think it manages to talk to a wireless flash???

Wifi and RT would have reduced range if they can't get the antenna outside the metal.  A GPS receiver however, deals with signals several orders of magnitude weaker, and would never work acceptably inside a metal body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 12:50:13 PM »
+1 with you, Azezal. Unfortunately, it seems we are few.
I'm even in a smaller group, no GPS, no WiFi, no swivel screen, and no touch screen.
There wasn't such a selection, otherwise you might had a surprise  ;)

al2

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 01:07:20 PM »
One of the issues with the flip-screen is the amount of space the hinge and frame take up on the back of the camera.  Either we are going to get a much smaller screen or we will lose 5 or 6 buttons on the back.  That is a pretty steep price to pay.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »

Nah, I wouldn't even want a GPS/Wifi antenna. Just a dedicated RT controller built in body.

Infact, to the OP, add RT controller on the list and I'd vote for that.

But you talk to the speedlight at 2.4Ghz...... That's your WiFi antenna.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »
And, for that matter, can we please just have the articulating screen already? Anyone that doesn't like it can just LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS. Seriously, I've needed one this entire week...and no, I don't want to go buy a dedicated monitor. That's a stupid suggestion.

Articulating screens and touch screens are not present on any of the high end bodies for one reason: Durability. EVEN if you leave it folded in from a design and integrity standpoint the whole is much weaker. It also is just another place for water, dust and grit to get into the body that they will have to seal. Moving parts are also a HUGE pain in the ass in any assembly and increase costs/defect rate/reliability of the finished product. 7DII will not have this feature and if it does I do not see it selling very well to the segment Canon has targeted. 70D could possibly have it and I honestly would like to see it there.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »

Nah, I wouldn't even want a GPS/Wifi antenna. Just a dedicated RT controller built in body.

Infact, to the OP, add RT controller on the list and I'd vote for that.

But you talk to the speedlight at 2.4Ghz...... That's your WiFi antenna.....

Great. Now that we know if they put Wifi inside but No RT triggering, Canon has been holding out on us since 6D.

JustinMartin

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 03:17:48 PM »
What about creating 2 different grips for the 7D Mii, one with the GPS and WiFi and one without?
5DII - 17-40L - 24-105L - 135L - 430EXII - 580EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 03:17:48 PM »

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 03:18:52 PM »
What about creating 2 different grips for the 7D Mii, one with the GPS and WiFi and one without?

Weather sealing. And I think those mod's would eat up at least 1 battery slot.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »

Because the components are so cheap (GPS is <$3 each in bulk, WiFi is <$10), I would imagine they'd be built into the body, and only enabled if you have the grip.  That would give a good place to put the antenna too, since the battery tray is plastic.  The biggest issue in putting the antennas in the tray (I'd imagine right in the door, you only need 3.125cm for a 1/4 wave 2.4Ghz antenna), would be the additional RF connector on the tray & grip that can sustain repeated coupling without breaking or incurring excessive loss.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
It's interesting that if something new is going to be added to an upcoming camera, there are two reactions:

1. If you think you need it, you refer to it as a feature.

2. If you think you don't, it's a gimmick.

There are plenty of "features" that I will probably never use. Just turn them off. As for the issue of compromising the build quality/seal, I don't think Canon is putting themselves in that position since they are releasing both a 70D and a 7D II. Besides, the 7D already has a pop-up flash. I'm not sure how that can be considered sealed.

Feature vs. gimmick... I think you're 98% correct. I personally don't object to any (gimmicky :P ) features that I don't think I'll use, unless it impacts the features currently present in a line (i.e., ruggedness or weather sealing in this case).  I don't buy the argument of cost increases for most features, like GPS or WiFi, because I know the components themselves are dirt cheap, and most of the development is already complete once they have the first model with those features (6D).  And for features like video, which I don't care about either; I believe the increased market and subsequent production, makes for a camera that is a net gain for consumers, possibly even cheaper.

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:16 PM »

Because the components are so cheap (GPS is <$3 each in bulk, WiFi is <$10), I would imagine they'd be built into the body, and only enabled if you have the grip.  That would give a good place to put the antenna too, since the battery tray is plastic.  The biggest issue in putting the antennas in the tray (I'd imagine right in the door, you only need 3.125cm for a 1/4 wave 2.4Ghz antenna), would be the additional RF connector on the tray & grip that can sustain repeated coupling without breaking or incurring excessive loss.

Good points. I honestly think the external GPS is by far a better option in terms of quality of build, reliability and day to day use. I feel the grip could be hit or miss, Break the grip or damage it and poof there goes your wifi/GPS antenna and power source.

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 06:28:58 PM »
And if you can't use wifi or gps because of the metal body..... how do you think it manages to talk to a wireless flash???

Wifi and RT would have reduced range if they can't get the antenna outside the metal.  A GPS receiver however, deals with signals several orders of magnitude weaker, and would never work acceptably inside a metal body.

as posted elsewhere....

The body is made of magnesium.

Air has a permeability of 1.000 000 37
Magnesium has a permiability of 1.000 12
Steel and iron are around 100
Mu-Metal, used for electromagnet shielding, is around 20,000 to 50,000

Think of permeability as the materials ability to react to (attenuate) radio signals.

In other words, the magnesium body is  for all practical purposes, transparent to electromagnetic waves (radio)..... and even if it wasn't, there are dozens of holes through the metal shell.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »

as posted elsewhere....

The body is made of magnesium.

Air has a permeability of 1.000 000 37
Magnesium has a permiability of 1.000 12
Steel and iron are around 100
Mu-Metal, used for electromagnet shielding, is around 20,000 to 50,000

Think of permeability as the materials ability to react to (attenuate) radio signals.

In other words, the magnesium body is  for all practical purposes, transparent to electromagnetic waves (radio).. and even if it wasn't, there are dozens of holes through the metal shell.

Aye, that was the point I was trying to make before. Magnesium is not a particularly useful material for shielding. I can't imagine there being any serious problems.. and heck, if there is, poke another hole in the body and cap the hole with plastic and seal it. From the outside you won't know the difference, except for not needing to hang a giant GPS or WiFi device off one of the ports.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »

Barrfly

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »
 What I'd really like to see is Canon putting the guys at Magic Lantern on the payroll so all the amazing features can be integrated directly into the firmware. Canon makes some kick ass equipment but holds back on the full potential that we can use.

I'm sure if even some of these were officially included Wifi and GPS would be taking a back seat. 

Check out what your camera can do here : http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16:06 PM »
What I'd really like to see is Canon putting the guys at Magic Lantern on the payroll so all the amazing features can be integrated directly into the firmware.

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16:06 PM »