April 16, 2014, 03:35:02 AM

Author Topic: I can't stop thinking about A MONSTER!  (Read 12784 times)

Rat

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: I can't stop thinking about A MONSTER!
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2013, 05:33:58 PM »
I'm all for bicycles as primary modes of transportation, but I couldn't in good conscience recommend to somebody to carry a Great White on a pannier. You're talking about ten pounds of precision optics that costs a thousand dollars a pound. It's very common to take a spill on a bike, and just one would wreck that lens.

Sure, you could get a custom case that would properly protect the lens against a bike wreck, but there's no way you're going to fit it on a pannier.
This wholly depends on your proficiency, and that is gained by using the damn things. Here in the Netherlands, it is NOT 'very common' to fall of your bike (most ppl do that up to the age of five, and after that only when drunk), no matter if there is a passenger and a week worth's of groceries on the bike as well. And as for the 'pannier' thingies, I wouldn't carry a Great White on those either. I would buy a 'transportfiets', which can handle loads of 50-100 lbs easily. Exemple gratia:

Costs less than a 135L and will hold 80kg of big whites  8)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2013, 05:33:58 PM »

jthomson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »
[ It's very common to take a spill on a bike, and just one would wreck that lens.
/quote]

its not that common to take a spill.  I've actually seen a birder around my area with a case built onto his bike frame for carrying either a telescope or a big lens.

cervantes

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2013, 04:13:32 AM »
And-Rew:

Thanks for bringing this thread back on track by contributing the first on-topic post since a few days...  ;)
Actually after (shortly) trying out the similar sized Sigma 500 this week I'm completely with you on the weight issue. Its far less than I expected at the beginning. Absolutely no problem to carry around in a backpack (that brings the weight to the hips) and probably no problem to carry in my hands for extended periods of time. Holding it to eye-level without support will still be a different story. But I'm sure I can find something to rest my arms on.

It's very common to take a spill on a bike, and just one would wreck that lens.

I had two accidents in the last three years (since I'm going by bike regularly) - both within the same week. It was wet, there were some leafs on the ground, I was going too fast... you know the story.  ::)
I don't make those mistakes when carrying expensive gear so it's not very common to take a spill for me, plus canon claims that the V2 has "twice the impact resistance" than the V1. Of course I could get hit by a car - but my gear wouldn't be my first concern then.

Rat: Thanks for the hint but the weight will be no problem for my bike.

Man up and buy it ffs.

Couldn't you have told me this right at the beginning - then we could have spared ourselves the trouble of this huge thread...  ;D

---------------------------

At the moment I clearly tend to the buying side. I will not get it before April though, so I have still some time to think about it.

Jan Jasinski

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2013, 11:48:25 PM »
The 500 f/4L weight doesn't sound AS bad as it is ;)
2 years ago when I was 14 I met someone at an airshow with the 500 I and it was a jaw dropping lens.
Of course back then I only had the 55-250 IS I was quite torn by the weight but was expecting it to be nearly impossible to pick up...
I managed to handhold the lens for 3 consecutive hours... It was a bit painful and tiring after those 3 hours but totally worth it. Yet I would recommend a tripod or at least monopod.

My dream is also the 400 II and 600 II but i'm 15 right now so it'll be a few LONG years before I can actually get one...

Did you look at the 300 f/2.8L IS? It goes for >4000$ used right now and gives great IQ with a 1.4x and 2x extenders giving you 420mm, 600mm & 780mm. Of course the 300 II is lighter and slightly better (IS, design, weight) and costs about 6700$ but if you have the money that would be your best bet in your case. The 300 II + 1.4x III IQ is very comparable to the 500 MKI.

Jan

Btw here's me with the 500 back when I wasn't as strong :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:51:42 PM by Jan Jasinski »
Canon 6D | 17-40L | 50 II | 70-200 f/4L | 400 f/5.6L
http://www.flickr.com/photos/janjasinski/

Saurus

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »
Why don't you try renting one to check out how well you can handle it on a bike and hand-held?

If it is too big/heavy/expensive, try the 100-400. It is slower and the IQ is not quite as good but I was very happy with mine for a number of years until I could upgrade.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »