Rumors > Lenses

Tele lens help

(1/3) > >>

Anthonyhnj:
A few weeks ago I purchased a Canon 60d and had asked for lens help on this forum. I decided to return the camera and buy the canon 6d, which I really like. I need some help deciding on a telephoto lens.  It's not often that I shoot on the Long end, But there are times when I would like to have it, i.e. kids soccer game, zoo etc...  Am I better off buying the 70-200 f4 usm or the 70-300 usm is.  The question that keeps coming up in my head is will 200mm be long enough.  I'm sort of on a budget for this lens choice, so that why I decided on these two. Your thoughts, suggestions?
My current lens line up is 17-40, 24-105 and 40 2.8

Also, is the canon 100 macro L that much better than the non 100 macro non L some shots will be on a tripod indoors and some handheld outdoors.

Thanks,
Anthony

Mt Spokane Photography:

--- Quote from: Anthonyhnj on February 20, 2013, 11:55:24 AM ---A few weeks ago I purchased a Canon 60d and had asked for lens help on this forum. I decided to return the camera and buy the canon 6d, which I really like. I need some help deciding on a telephoto lens.  It's not often that I shoot on the Long end, But there are times when I would like to have it, i.e. kids soccer game, zoo etc...  Am I better off buying the 70-200 f4 usm or the 70-300 usm is.  The question that keeps coming up in my head is will 200mm be long enough.  I'm sort of on a budget for this lens choice, so that why I decided on these two. Your thoughts, suggestions?
My current lens line up is 17-40, 24-105 and 40 2.8

Also, is the canon 100 macro L that much better than the non 100 macro non L some shots will be on a tripod indoors and some handheld outdoors.

Thanks,
Anthony

--- End quote ---
I'd get the 70-300mm L or the 70-200mmf/4 L IS.  Pass on the 70-300mm IS.  Another good lens is the 100-400mmL, some don't like push pull, its fine by me.
Any Macro lens is going to be a great lens as far as IQ goes.  If you are on a tripod it doesn't matter much which one you choose.  The 100L is my walking around lens, the IS lets me walk around and get all kinds of shots that I might not have time to use a tripood for, and I'm impatient in any event.  I always seemed to get a lot of oof images with the non IS versions, focus was so slow that I pressed the shutter too soon.

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: Anthonyhnj on February 20, 2013, 11:55:24 AM ---Am I better off buying the 70-200 f4 usm or the 70-300 usm is.  The question that keeps coming up in my head is will 200mm be long enough.  I'm sort of on a budget for this lens choice, so that why I decided on these two.

--- End quote ---

Of the two, get the 70-200mm f/4L.  The 70-300 non-L is pretty soft in the 200-300mm range, you'll get better images at 200mm with the L lens then cropping.  The 6D has great high ISO performance, so you can bump up the ISO to get the shutter speed high enough.

--- Quote from: Anthonyhnj on February 20, 2013, 11:55:24 AM ---Also, is the canon 100 macro L that much better than the non 100 macro non L some shots will be on a tripod indoors and some handheld outdoors.

--- End quote ---

For use on a tripod, no meaningful difference.  For handheld close up shots (say, 0.25x-0.35x magnification), the IS is a big benefit in good light.  In not-so-good light, or at 1:1 macro distances, you'll want the tripod anyway (with close subjects, it's always a challenge to get a deep enough DoF, and that usually requires narrow apertures and thus lots of light, or a tripod).

Anthonyhnj:
Is the 100macro l good as a prime lens as well?

Mt Spokane Photography:

--- Quote from: Anthonyhnj on February 20, 2013, 12:24:15 PM ---Is the 100macro l good as a prime lens as well?

--- End quote ---
The 100L is a prime lens, and is very good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version