October 31, 2014, 08:25:43 PM

Author Topic: Cancelled order from adorama because of price mistake, help!  (Read 4416 times)

max

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Cancelled order from adorama because of price mistake, help!
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:12:53 PM »
Hi. I just placed an order last night from adorama.
They had a special on the 6D + 24-105mm for USD 2080 with a free pixma. I thought it was a really good deal, but not that it was a mistake, canon usually does rebates on printers.

Today I get a cancellation email.

Should I try to get something out of this or let it pass?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:27:53 PM by max »

canon rumors FORUM

Cancelled order from adorama because of price mistake, help!
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:12:53 PM »

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelled order from adorama because of price mistake, help!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
Call em

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »
You can e-mail Helen Oster in customer service, and she will explain what happened.  Online sales agreements specifically exempt pricing errors and typos, its not as though you will get something for nothinng due to a typo or human error.  If you listed your $2000 camera on Craigslist and tyoed in $20 in error. would you honor it?

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »
Worth a phone call but you are unlikely to get much in way of compensation IMO
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
Hi. I just placed an order last night from adorama.
They had a special on the 6D + 24-105mm for USD 2080 with a free pixma. I thought it was a really good deal, but not that it was a mistake, canon usually does rebates on printers.

Today I get a cancellation email.

Should I try to get something out of this or let it pass?

I'd love to be able to help, but:

http://www.adorama.com/help/termsandconditions#errors

Adorama is not responsible for typographical or pictorial errors, and specifications may change without notice........We make every effort to provide you with an error-free Web site. However, in the event there is a misprint, we reserve the right to correct copy or pricing to reflect the actual current status.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
Had this happen to me at BandH and they cancelled after the CC was charged.  Took DAYS for the credit to process against my credit balance so I was stuck and couldn't order anywhere else.

That really irked me.  They could have cancelled before processing the charge.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »
It's frustrating, but there's nothing you can do about incorrect pricing. I purchased a new EF70-200 f/2.8L ll from a third party an Amazon for $1699 within four months of its release (they were going for $2450). The seller cancelled the order and that was that :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
Call Helen at adorama... she's super helpful and will take care of you. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

max

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 05:19:52 PM »
To me it was an international purchase so first of all I have to pay 50 bucks just for their mistake.
Second, BH and Adorama lately are showing one price and then changing it in the cart to be able to sell at lower prices, as it happened with a camera I bought last week and you can try it on most canon products.
Second, I do not want or need the pixma printer nor the 40mm pancake lens.

The price is not like it should be 2400 and shows 240 dollars. A 300 dollar discount is completely plausible. Now I cannot even purchase the camera because it is not listed and my credit card is now maxed out. I am seriously in a deep problem here as I need this camera to be delivered before the 3rd of march and last time my credit card took 3 weeks to give me back my money.

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 05:23:55 PM »
If you listed your $2000 camera on Craigslist and tyoed in $20 in error. would you honor it?

Agree.....even if it was typed (or typoed) in instead of tyoed in :D.  Reputable companies like Adorama cancel the order before it processes, some (as mentioned by a previous poster) charge your card then credit you back....often at their leisure.     Chalk it up to "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't"

max

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 06:03:18 PM »
Its just a 10% discount... Its not like it was 200 dollars.

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 06:04:44 PM »
To me it was an international purchase so first of all I have to pay 50 bucks just for their mistake.
Second, BH and Adorama lately are showing one price and then changing it in the cart to be able to sell at lower prices, as it happened with a camera I bought last week and you can try it on most canon products.

The price is not like it should be 2400 and shows 240 dollars. A 300 dollar discount is completely plausible. Now I cannot even purchase the camera because it is not listed and my credit card is now maxed out. I am seriously in a deep problem here as I need this camera to be delivered before the 3rd of march and last time my credit card took 3 weeks to give me back my money.

I noted your comments regarding needing to place an item into the basket to see the lower price, and welcome this opportunity to explain why this is.

Retailers like Adorama have the legal right to set their own prices independently, but some manufacturers place restrictions on how those prices may be communicated.

Because our price on this item is lower than the manufacturer's "minimum advertised price," the manufacturer does not allow us to show you our price until you take further action, such as placing the item in your shopping cart, or in some cases, proceeding to the final checkout stage. The steps required depend on the details of the manufacturer's minimum advertised price policy. Taking these steps allows Adorama to show you our price consistent with our goal of always offering you the lowest possible prices on the widest selection of products.

This won't require you to purchase the product. You can easily remove it from your cart if you decide not to buy it.
We realize that this is an inconvenience and are regularly working to educate manufacturers on how their policies impact our customers.

Regarding your credit card: at Adorama we do not make a charge until an item actually ships. As this item did not ship, you have not been charged.
I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to come back to me if I can assist with anything else, now or in the future.
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »
If you listed your $2000 camera on Craigslist and tyoed in $20 in error. would you honor it?

Agree.....even if it was typed (or typoed) in instead of tyoed in :D .  Reputable companies like Adorama cancel the order before it processes, some (as mentioned by a previous poster) charge your card then credit you back....often at their leisure.     Chalk it up to "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't"
I installed a new keyboard this morning, my old one seemed to be contributing to typo's.  It was actually worse, I just returned it to Costco.
I found that I did not like any of the keyboards I saw.  I wish I had my old IBM keyboard from the 1980's they were expensive and made by Keytronics right here in Spokane.  I used to have several of them, but being the old connector style I got rid of them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 08:32:39 PM »

I noted your comments regarding needing to place an item into the basket to see the lower price, and welcome this opportunity to explain why this is.

Retailers like Adorama have the legal right to set their own prices independently, but some manufacturers place restrictions on how those prices may be communicated.

Because our price on this item is lower than the manufacturer's "minimum advertised price," the manufacturer does not allow us to show you our price until you take further action, such as placing the item in your shopping cart, or in some cases, proceeding to the final checkout stage. The steps required depend on the details of the manufacturer's minimum advertised price policy. Taking these steps allows Adorama to show you our price consistent with our goal of always offering you the lowest possible prices on the widest selection of products.

This won't require you to purchase the product. You can easily remove it from your cart if you decide not to buy it.
We realize that this is an inconvenience and are regularly working to educate manufacturers on how their policies impact our customers.

Regarding your credit card: at Adorama we do not make a charge until an item actually ships. As this item did not ship, you have not been charged.
I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to come back to me if I can assist with anything else, now or in the future.

Helen...I've had an interaction with you as a buyer of camera gear at Adorama and think you deserve credit for the job you do, and for your attention and insight contributed to this post.

Nice job Helen
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 08:45:21 PM »

Agree.....even if it was typed (or typoed) in instead of tyoed in :D .  Reputable companies like Adorama cancel the order before it processes, some (as mentioned by a previous poster) charge your card then credit you back....often at their leisure.     Chalk it up to "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't"
I installed a new keyboard this morning, my old one seemed to be contributing to typo's.  It was actually worse, I just returned it to Costco.
I found that I did not like any of the keyboards I saw.  I wish I had my old IBM keyboard from the 1980's they were expensive and made by Keytronics right here in Spokane.  I used to have several of them, but being the old connector style I got rid of them.

There is a company that bought the rights, and makes the old bucking spring IBM type keyboards, but now in USB...

I have one and LOVE it...heavy, loud when typing...using it right now.

Here's the company:

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD

This is the keyboard I got:

http://pckeyboard.com/page/UKBD/UB40P4A  They're about $79....built like a tank like the days of old.

I'd highly recommend them...if you're a fan of the old IBM keyboards.

HTH,
cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 08:45:21 PM »