July 24, 2014, 04:28:20 PM

Author Topic: Canon 7D MKII USB 3.0 very important  (Read 4339 times)

PureShot

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Canon 7D MKII USB 3.0 very important
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:45:59 PM »
Hi every body, its the first time i wrote in the canon rumor forum, i have a professional photography studio in Canada. Iam very disappoint about 5D MKIII and 1DX the reason he have not WI-FI and USB 3.0
for me is a most value for a production in my studio. for now a have 7D with few L lenses and other, in 2012 iam decide to change my 7D but all new camera miss HDMI not compresse Wi-Fi GPS USB 3.0 in the same package
I bought sony AX99 for outside photography is a beast in studio, for different reason iam return the AX99 and i wait. I hope the new 7D MKII have a lot innovation, for me aps-c is not a matter i make product photography and  fashion photography, my 7D make a realy good job. After 4 years iam ready to change my 7D but i need a good reason to change. Please Canon, in 2013 release new EOS with innovation, technology and iam stay Red

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 7D MKII USB 3.0 very important
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:45:59 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D MKII USB 3.0 very important
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »
Why would USB 3 would be that important to a professional, surely you do not download thru the camera USB connection?  Its much better to use a card reader than run down batteries downloading 60 GB of images.
WiFi would be useful as well as a GB Network connection.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »
Why would USB 3 would be that important to a professional, surely you do not download thru the camera USB connection?  Its much better to use a card reader than run down batteries downloading 60 GB of images.

Now that would be interesting.... a GigE network jack.... and if you had POE (Power Over Ethernet) you could run the camera/charge batteries.... that would be fantastic for tethered shooting... Canon... are you listening?
The best camera is the one in your hands

PureShot

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »
The USB3.0 is important for me because sometime iam going outside the studio with a laptop and the USB 3.0 is a standard for now. In studio i have a card reader usb 3.0 but i think for 2013 all camera must have this option.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »
USB3.0 could also be useful for doing live view, you could shove a much better quality image down through USB that way. Heck, you could also use it to record video as it has enough bandwidth for some very high quality streams.

RE: PoE via GigE, according to Wikipedia it provides maximum of 25.5 Watts with up to 57 volts at 600 mAmp. Not sure how that corresponds to the power draw of a 5d3/1DX type camera. Other thing to think about though, is that they then need to add the charging circuit stuff into the camera, which adds a bit of complexity and cost to the camera. Not saying it's a lot, but it's something more to add. Maybe use PoE as an alternate power source alongside the battery.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »

I always use USB to download the images from the camera for the simple reason I have had issues with card readers in the past and ended up with bent pins and the like. Plus, I guess it is habit.

I for one would love USB 3.0, my laptop has two USB 3.0 slots so I would be a very happy bunny if my camera had USB 3.0 to connect with.

Plus the less I have to carry the better. I have a great retractable mini and micro USB cable that is perfect. And, the less I have to remove my cards the better. The more you remove a CF card, insert into a reader (which is going to USB anyway) and then taking it out and putting it back in the camera the more chance of damage and other issues.

SD cards are different as my laptop has a card reader that can accommodate SD cards, but my cameras do not have SD.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:50:28 PM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »
OK, I'll bite... Here's my thoughts...

1.  All things like USB3, WiFi, Bluetooth, Gigabit Ethernet, GPS, WiMax, Integrated Broadband, etc are simple small chipsets that are fairly modular and easy to integrate into most designs given the effort is put forth in the firmware to write code to address them properly.  (Firewire, Thunderbolt etc from Apple are usually avoided due to the excessive patent fees they demand for inclusion.)  The design problems are usually issues with power, heat and RFI Interference.  The cost of the chipset could be a factor but I doubt it.  It's more the cost of everything else that revolves around adding the feature... circuit board design, testing, etc.  Add more stuff to the mix, more things can go wrong.

2.  Tethered Shooting has its place but IMO, Wireless Tethered Shooting is the future however it is implemented.  Same goes for network access.  And Flash Control.  Honestly, wires are a pain but unfortunately they are less expensive and more reliable if proper care is observed with the connections and strain relief is used.  Once wireless solutions evolve to the point where they are totally reliable, inexpensive and power efficient, no one will use a wire if they don't have to.

MY ideal DSLR would have fast WiFi, reliable integrated wireless flash and shutter control that is universal (not proprietary) and even maybe wireless charging.  Maybe bluetooth too?  Most of the roadblocks are power related IMO.  I am anticipating the day when the flash has a hot shoe on top for backwards compatibility but the camera easily communicates with the flash wirelessly (without a master flash) and I can simply grab the flash and move it around while shooting without extra devices (ie PocketWizard) attached to both or the need to have a master flash on the hot shoe just to talk to the wireless flash.  I was sort of expecting the 5DIII or 5DX to have this but unfortunately, all they did was add some RF to the new 600RT flash and charge a mint for it.  Big whoop.  Not much improvement there if you ask me.  The writing is on the wall for the need of true integrated wireless flash control.  Why doesn't Canon just do it right already??
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »

leftnose

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:47:50 AM »
RE: PoE via GigE, according to Wikipedia it provides maximum of 25.5 Watts with up to 57 volts at 600 mAmp. Not sure how that corresponds to the power draw of a 5d3/1DX type camera. Other thing to think about though, is that they then need to add the charging circuit stuff into the camera, which adds a bit of complexity and cost to the camera. Not saying it's a lot, but it's something more to add. Maybe use PoE as an alternate power source alongside the battery.

PoE for tethered shooting is super interesting.  The LP-E6 battery of the 5D3 is 7.2V and 1800 mAh.  This means it's approx. 13 watt hours.  From what I can see, since I don't really shoot video myself, battery life is about 90 minutes of video.  Which means the camera draws somewhere around 8.7 watts for video.

So, the 5D3 for video would be no problem for PoE.  Shotoing stills with AF and IS shouldn't be a problem either as there's quite a bit of room there as well.

Now, the 1DX, I don't know.  It uses a 11.1 V battery @ 2200 mAh so it is 24.42 watt hours. I can't find any stats for the 1DX and video but it would probably be OK as well.

Now, charging and using the camera at the same time may be too much for PoE but just for use for external power and tethered shooting makes a lot of sense.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »

PoE for tethered shooting is super interesting.  The LP-E6 battery of the 5D3 is 7.2V and 1800 mAh.  This means it's approx. 13 watt hours.  From what I can see, since I don't really shoot video myself, battery life is about 90 minutes of video.  Which means the camera draws somewhere around 8.7 watts for video.

So, the 5D3 for video would be no problem for PoE.  Shotoing stills with AF and IS shouldn't be a problem either as there's quite a bit of room there as well.

Now, the 1DX, I don't know.  It uses a 11.1 V battery @ 2200 mAh so it is 24.42 watt hours. I can't find any stats for the 1DX and video but it would probably be OK as well.

Now, charging and using the camera at the same time may be too much for PoE but just for use for external power and tethered shooting makes a lot of sense.

That'd be great...except then Canon loses out on the ability to charge you an extra $100+ for an external AC adapter.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
MY ideal DSLR would have fast WiFi, reliable integrated wireless flash and shutter control that is universal (not proprietary) and even maybe wireless charging.  Maybe bluetooth too?  Most of the roadblocks are power related IMO.  I am anticipating the day when the flash has a hot shoe on top for backwards compatibility but the camera easily communicates with the flash wirelessly (without a master flash) and I can simply grab the flash and move it around while shooting without extra devices (ie PocketWizard) attached to both or the need to have a master flash on the hot shoe just to talk to the wireless flash.  I was sort of expecting the 5DIII or 5DX to have this but unfortunately, all they did was add some RF to the new 600RT flash and charge a mint for it.  Big whoop.  Not much improvement there if you ask me.  The writing is on the wall for the need of true integrated wireless flash control.  Why doesn't Canon just do it right already??

+10000
AGree totally.

It is totally beyond me, why Canon does not FULLY exploit the one unique advantage their eco-system currently has over all competitors: integrated radio-wireless flash ETTL-control

Ridiculously little needs to be done:
1. Built in RT-flash commander in every new EOS body - cheap and easy
2. updated wireless ETTL protocol that enables 2nd curtain sync and control of flash-head zoom
3. Sensibly priced RT-receivers for 580/EX II and 430EX / II - linking them into the system, full mix and match with new units
4. 440EX-RT 

only 4 simple steps.

* dramatically improved flash functionality and flexibility in different usage scenarios for the entire Canon user base

* no more wires, no more costly extra devices. no more extra batteries. no additional source of RF-interference and communication problems between gear from different suppliers 

* PW looses loads of business. Higly-deserved punishment for those monopolists with their overpriced gadgets. For 25 years the have inhibited development of wireless radio flash control at reasonable cost, integrated into camera and speedlites 

* massive, tangible advantage over any other camera eco-system - Canon would have a lead of 1-2 years, until Nikon, Sony are able to follow suit. The longer they wait, the more likely Canon will be leapfrogged by their competitors.   

but .. NO. Canon geriatric ward is unable to see the flash light.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 06:15:31 PM »

+10000
AGree totally.

It is totally beyond me, why Canon does not FULLY exploit the one unique advantage their eco-system currently has over all competitors: integrated radio-wireless flash ETTL-control

Ridiculously little needs to be done:
1. Built in RT-flash commander in every new EOS body - cheap and easy
2. updated wireless ETTL protocol that enables 2nd curtain sync and control of flash-head zoom
3. Sensibly priced RT-receivers for 580/EX II and 430EX / II - linking them into the system, full mix and match with new units
4. 440EX-RT 

only 4 simple steps.

* dramatically improved flash functionality and flexibility in different usage scenarios for the entire Canon user base

* no more wires, no more costly extra devices. no more extra batteries. no additional source of RF-interference and communication problems between gear from different suppliers 

* PW looses loads of business. Higly-deserved punishment for those monopolists with their overpriced gadgets. For 25 years the have inhibited development of wireless radio flash control at reasonable cost, integrated into camera and speedlites 

* massive, tangible advantage over any other camera eco-system - Canon would have a lead of 1-2 years, until Nikon, Sony are able to follow suit. The longer they wait, the more likely Canon will be leapfrogged by their competitors.   

but .. NO. Canon geriatric ward is unable to see the flash light.

Ahh, but why do that when you could be willing to pay for just one of these features? They will spread these over many generations of camera to make more profit.

I'd love all these features in a camera body, but lets be realistic, Canon Inc. is a for profit business.  :|

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 06:15:31 PM »