April 17, 2014, 11:10:47 PM

Author Topic: Nikon 7100 has been anounced  (Read 25742 times)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon 7100 has been anounced
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »
The sad thing is that Nikon is basically dominating all matchups(definitely on the lower end), at least in terms of specs, public perception(I understand pros love Canon for a reason, etc, i'm just saying.)

So, you're saying that "public perception" is that Nikon is "dominating" the matchups?  Is your definition of "public" taken to mean, "People who frequent internet forums devoted to Nikon cameras and people who frequent internet forums devoted to Canon cameras for the primary purpose of trolling?" 

Because the "public" who actually buy dSLRs, as opposed to those who just write about them on the internet, seem to buy a lot more Canon dSLRs than Nikon dSLRs, which is why Canon has been and, as of the latest available data, still is "dominating" the market.

I'm just saying...   ::)

Again with your rational, logical, and fact-based analysis... please, that has no place on the Internet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »

EchoLocation

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »
The sad thing is that Nikon is basically dominating all matchups(definitely on the lower end), at least in terms of specs, public perception(I understand pros love Canon for a reason, etc, i'm just saying.)

So, you're saying that "public perception" is that Nikon is "dominating" the matchups?  Is your definition of "public" taken to mean, "People who frequent internet forums devoted to Nikon cameras and people who frequent internet forums devoted to Canon cameras for the primary purpose of trolling?" 

Because the "public" who actually buy dSLRs, as opposed to those who just write about them on the internet, seem to buy a lot more Canon dSLRs than Nikon dSLRs, which is why Canon has been and, as of the latest available data, still is "dominating" the market.

well, I live in China, so I don't really know much besides what I see here, and what I read on internet forums.
My friends here in China love the Nikon releases. People on internet forums also seem pretty impressed with the recent Nikon releases. People on Canon Rumors love Canon stuff, but in many other places the general majority seems to have a really strong opinion of recent Nikon releases with a bit more critical reception of recent Canon releases. Canon is the sales leader, but as we all know, that doesn't necessarily make them better. Even your main criticism of this camera isn't the camera but the glass.
 I chose Canon first long before I switched to Nikon. I am not a born and bred Canon basher or a troll.
Are you trying to tell me that all the people in this thread praising the D7100 are here "for the primary purpose of trolling"?
I have been looking at CanonRumors for years. I was hoping for a 7DII, 5DIII, and 24-70 when I didn't know squat about anything Nikon. Just face it, if you don't have unlimited money to spend on gear, Canon's releases over the past few years have been pretty damn depressing.

Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

docsmith

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
The specs and price look impressive.  And Nikon has been doing a lot of that lately.  Good for them.  But I am not ready to abandon the good ship Canon over a camera that I will likely never own.

Also, the whole "spec" thing....I remember threads bashing the Canon 6D and praising the D600....but once people actually started taking pictures with the 6D...turns out, it was a pretty darn nice camera.  Good enough for Roger/Lens Rentals.  And while I am sure the D600 is a nice camera, it wasn't crushing the 6D in hands-on reviews that I've seen...

EchoLocation

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »

Again with your rational, logical, and fact-based analysis... please, that has no place on the Internet.
Was my initial post really that off the mark?
I have all the respect for Neuro in the world. He is obviously one of the most intelligent people on any internet forum.
But, he is also a GIANT Canon fanboy and it never seems as though price is a consideration for him.
He IS rational, but it doesn't mean that my opinions are irrational.
Price IS an issue for me, and based on ALL factors regarding cameras, i haven't been too thrilled with Canon's releases.
Lets face it, the D7100 destroys an incrementally upgraded 60D, and I'm pretty sure I remember the 7DII's rumored price to be around $2K.
I sincerely hope(as other's have said) that Canon comes back swinging and really offers something fantastic, competetion is good for everyone.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »
...it doesn't mean that my opinions are irrational.
Price IS an issue for me, and based on ALL factors regarding cameras, i haven't been too thrilled with Canon's releases.

Your opinion was quite rational, as was your decision to switch to Nikon.  Personally, if my main purpose was to shoot landscapes, I'd be shooting with a D800, 14-24/2.8G and a PC-E 24mm.  Put that in a fanboy pipe and smoke it.   :P

The problem is when someone (and you're not the only one who does this) takes a statement like, "I think the recent Nikon dSLR releases are much better than the recent Canon dSLR releases," and somehow translates that into, "Most people think Nikon is dominating Canon."  First off, your opinion is not everyone's opinion, or even most people's opinion.  My opinion is not everyone's opinion, either, for that matter.  That's why I often bring up sales figures - it's an aggregate way of assessing everyone's 'opinion' based on their buying choices.  Sure, there are lots of factors that go into those buying decisions - features, cost, compatibility with current equipment, what their friends use, etc.  But it's an objective measure, unlike all of the hot air (or electrons, as the case may be) that we read on internet forums.

Another problem is the evaluation of the camera in isolation, or worse, basing an evaluation on sensor performance alone.  You state ALL factors regarding cameras, but both a camera and a lens are needed to take pictures.  Sometimes, a flash is needed, too.  It's the 'camera system' that takes pictures, not just a camera or a sensor alone.  So, it's important to view it in that light - consider your overall needs and budget for a system, and buy accordingly.  If one brand offers the best body in the world, but lesser lens choices, that's something to be aware of...

Finally, most of this really doesn't matter.  Sure, there are a few examples of images that can only be taken with Canon vs. Nikon gear (MP-E 65mm and 17mm tilt-shift shots, ultrawide shots with an image-stabilized lens, etc.).  But for the most part, it's much less about the gear itself than about the person using it to make images.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »
Canon would be wise to match the 70D to the D7100 spec wise, and then release the 7DII against the mythical D400, with all the above, fully weather sealed, metal body, AFMA, crazy AF, and 10FPS at around $2000 to grab the pro APS-C market.

According to dpreview, the D7100 is the replacement for the D300S, and actually the D300S is already discontinued in Europe:

Quote from: dpreview
Overall then, despite some minor niggles, the D7100 seems like a very strong release, which represents very stiff competition to Canon's venerable EOS 7D as well as its 60D. It also appears - finally - to have supplanted the D300S as Nikon's top-end DX-format DSLR. In fact in Europe at least, the D7100 is officially being billed by Nikon as its new 'flagship DX' camera, the D300S finally disappearing from the lineup, off into the sunset. The D300S, a modest update of the D300 has been looking increasingly anachronistic for some time now, being essentially a 6 year-old design. The D7100, in contrast, promises to be relevant for some time to come and we're looking forward to getting hold of a reviewable sample very soon.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d7100/5

This is the second time Nikon have removed high end bodies from their crop body line-up. First time round when the D2Xs/D2Hs models were replaced with a FF D3 - at which point the bulky D300 became the high end crop. Second time around when the D300/D300S was effectively superseded by the D700 (and then D800) and then finally discontinued when the even lower end and more compact D7100 was announced.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

EchoLocation

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 10:43:15 AM »
...it doesn't mean that my opinions are irrational.

Your opinion was quite rational, as was your decision to switch to Nikon.  Personally, if my main purpose was to shoot landscapes, I'd be shooting with a D800, 14-24/2.8G and a PC-E 24mm.  Put that in a fanboy pipe and smoke it.   :P

The problem is when someone (and you're not the only one who does this) takes a statement like, "I think the recent Nikon dSLR releases are much better than the recent Canon dSLR releases," and somehow translates that into, "Most people think Nikon is dominating Canon."  First off, your opinion is not everyone's opinion, or even most people's opinion.  My opinion is not everyone's opinion, either, for that matter.  That's why I often bring up sales figures - it's an aggregate way of assessing everyone's 'opinion' based on their buying choices.  Sure, there are lots of factors that go into those buying decisions - features, cost, compatibility with current equipment, what their friends use, etc.  But it's an objective measure, unlike all of the hot air (or electrons, as the case may be) that we read on internet forums.

Another problem is the evaluation of the camera in isolation, or worse, basing an evaluation on sensor performance alone.  You state ALL factors regarding cameras, but both a camera and a lens are needed to take pictures.  Sometimes, a flash is needed, too.  It's the 'camera system' that takes pictures, not just a camera or a sensor alone.  So, it's important to view it in that light - consider your overall needs and budget for a system, and buy accordingly.  If one brand offers the best body in the world, but lesser lens choices, that's something to be aware of...

Finally, most of this really doesn't matter.  Sure, there are a few examples of images that can only be taken with Canon vs. Nikon gear (MP-E 65mm and 17mm tilt-shift shots, ultrawide shots with an image-stabilized lens, etc.).  But for the most part, it's much less about the gear itself than about the person using it to make images.
Neuro, i definitely think you're the man, and I agree with you in many aspects of what you're saying.
I'm simply stating my opinion, which we all agree I am welcome to have.
This sight would be a boring place if everyone on here simply loved all things Canon and hated all things Nikon.
I am happy with the camera system I have chosen, and you are happy with yours. You are right that it would be nearly impossible to tell our photos apart based on our gear.
Disagreeing is what makes the world an interesting place.

While selling more cameras is a strong case for Canon being a superior system, it is not the end all be all of which camera is better. Pointing this out in every argument(as someone always does) does not mean that Canon wins anymore than the fact that people raving about the D7100 specs in this thread make it a better camera than Canon's future offering(or for that matter DXO scores, etc.)

I really appreciate this website and forum and I want to thank the Admin and all the other regulars on here for the constantly enjoyable posts and banter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 10:43:15 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 10:56:32 AM »
I think both Canon and Nikon are trying to create a FF + APS-C combo for enthusiasts - which means, trying to sell you both D600/6D and D7100/7D2. That, or you buy a 5D3/D800.

The high-end crop line has basically everything except what a small sensor makes impossible to have - and for that they have affordable FF cameras.

All in all, though, it must be remarked that D7100 + D600 is roughly as much as a 5D3 alone.

That said, a camera specced like the D7100 at that price point is just awesome - though Nikon fans are complaining for not enough FPS and presumably non exceptional high-iso performance of a 24MP sensor. In fact, I still think Nikon might release a D400 with lower MP count and higher FPS and better high-iso performance.

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »

Echo- 

Don't sweat the fanbois on here.  There are many of us loyal Canon users who think Canon's recent releases have been weak, in light of the competition.  I know many once-loyal Canon shooters who are now dual-brand shooters, waiting for Canon to start taking its customers seriously.  Heck, I have a D800 of my own.

I realize that many people here are quick to defend Canon at all costs, and will jump on anyone who makes ANY type of negative comment toward Canon (even if it's true).  That doesn't make them right.  The fact is, Nikon's sensor tech is owning Canon hands down.  And now, with the $1,195 D7100 offering, they just spanked the sh*t out of Canon's entire APS-C lineup.

Hopefully Canon is very scared - and taking Nikon's recent R&D push seriously.  They need to respond immediately... regardless of what the fanbois say.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
D7100 - http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d7100/1
A logical and welcome improvement to the D7100 compared to the D7000 is the addition of the same improved Auto ISO program that we first saw on the D800, and latterly the D5200. This adds the ability to set the minimum shutter speed automatically based on the focal length of the lens in use, with a choice of five settings that bias towards faster or slower speeds. This fixes one of our biggest criticisms of older Nikon DSLRs, and makes Auto ISO more suitable for use with zoom lenses.

YES, strike, Nikon! Auto-ISO as in the D800 ... clearly better than any Canon DSLR realeased to date -  including the 1D-X - since none is "focal-length aware". 

Don't expect a fully useful Auto-ISO implementation in the 70D or even the 7D II ... no matter how much more expensive they'll be compared to the Nikon. 

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »
Canon is having their asses handed to them.

By spec alone, this cam outshines canons entire set of middle ground/enthusiast/semi pro cameras- including the weak spec'ed 6D, and quite easily at that. And the body for only 1200? Thats less than an almost 4 year old 7d. the 60d is 'history'. Canon actually markets the 6d as an entry level landscape camera...for 2k. One cross point. >:( :( :o Even the 650d has 9 cross points. Wither, canon.

At this point, for either manufacturer to EVER create a cam with one/minimal cross points is inexcusable.

The Af modules in recent nikons make Canon look lazy, stupid, foolish, conniving, and whatever other term you can throw at them- its just embarrassing. The m/43 mode just sounds awesome, especially with the extra Af coverage of the frame. Freaking, wow man.

After selling my 7d, i still have no mid level body to shoot with, and cant quite afford a 5d3.

Basically, I  am sooooooo thinking about getting this.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

hoodlum

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Birds
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
I love the marketing.... "a blazing fast 6 frames per second"

The real question with Nikon is usually if the highest fps only persists for the first few frames and then changes to crawl-mode (this is the case with the original d7000 and the d600) or if the buffer is deeper this time. So not to defend Nikon, but 6 continuous(?) fps with 24mp(!) in raw(?) mode imho would qualify as fast, it's the data rate vs fps that matters.

Buffer is the same size as the D7000 but due to larger files can only hold 8 RAW images.  In Crop mode it can do 14 RAW images and 7fps.  I hope Canon will look at doing cropped RAW for the 7D2 as you end up with smaller files, more frames in the buffer and improved speed.  No need saving the whole file if you are going to crop afterward. 

TheBadger

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »
I... can't... must... switch... and..pre-order... Gaaah!! Canon! Why u not release something exciting!!!
"Qui audet adipiscitur"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2013, 12:22:13 PM »

Was my initial post really that off the mark?
I have all the respect for Neuro in the world. He is obviously one of the most intelligent people on any internet forum.
But, he is also a GIANT Canon fanboy and it never seems as though price is a consideration for him.
He IS rational, but it doesn't mean that my opinions are irrational.
Lets face it, the D7100 destroys an incrementally upgraded 60D, and I'm pretty sure I remember the 7DII's rumored price to be around $2K.
I sincerely hope(as other's have said) that Canon comes back swinging and really offers something fantastic, competetion is good for everyone.

I wasn't really addressing your statements, rather I was poking some fun at Neuro but since you asked I will answer since that is the polite thing to do when asked a question  ;D

Without meaning it as an attack on you, actually yes, your statement about "public perception" was irrational because it is not supported by factual evidence only by your perception of what the public perceives which is really only based on what you read on the Internet or from some friends neither of which represent of the general public.

Unfortunately, what people say can not be trusted, particularly on the Internet, and is not as important as what they do.  The only vote that really counts is the one we make with our dollar bills.  There are many reasons to believe that certain characteristics of Nikon bodies are superior to Canon... but certainly not in ALL characteristics and some of that depends on your choice of "matchups"... do you line them up by price and compare features, or do you line up the most comparable bodies and compare price?  Are we only comparing bodies or should we take lenses into consideration?

In your later post you say you were just stating your opinion.  Ah, the classic "it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" argument.  Yes you are entitled to your opinion.  But your statement wasn't really an opinion...

You wrote "The sad thing is that Nikon is basically dominating all matchups(definitely on the lower end), at least in terms of specs, public perception".

Not really an opinion and even if that's what you believe it's still a factual statement, not an opinion, and the ascription to public perception isn't support by facts, for example sales.

If your opinion is that you "like Nikon better than Canon" you are welcome to that view and it's not debatable.  If you state "Nikon is better than Canon" that's not really an opinion although people commonly might restate it as "I believe Nikon is better than Canon" and claim it's an opinion to deflect argument but that's a logical fallacy because regardless of your "belief" the statement is still debatable and, in fact, isn't even defensible because it's too vague and no basis of comparison has been defined.  Your statement "Nikon basically dominates all matchups" falls into that category... it's over-stated, overly broad, and not well defined... and that is what tends to start the flame wars in forums because that is the stuff of fanboism.  That, and people getting defensive about their unsupported claims and being overly sensitive to dissenting views.

Now, to call Neuro a GIANT fanboi is not accurate at all.  I don't recall Neuro ever making over-stated, general claims that Canon is better in any respect where the facts don't support his position.  His preference and choice of Canon gear is well documented but to my knowledge but that does not make him a fanboi.

Bruce Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • Landscapes, 5D/5D2/5D3,7D,60D,EOS-M,D800/E,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »
The D7100 sure sounds like a good option for sports/wildlife shooters.  If only Nikon had an optically good 400mm f/5.6 lens (prime or zoom) to go with it.  ::)

+1 on that.  I miss my Canon 400 mm F5.6.  However, I have been hoping for an f4 400mm IS lens from Nikon.  I'll even take one without IS to keep the weight down since I normally use a tripod for birds in flight.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »