September 03, 2014, 03:17:40 AM

Author Topic: Too early to sell 60D?  (Read 4857 times)

RendrLab

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Too early to sell 60D?
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »
As the title of this post states, I am wondering what others think about me getting rid of my 60D with hopes Canon is soon to launch the 70D or whatever it may be? The only real reason I am considering selling it now, is that I am afraid the value will decrease again once it's replacement is released & I will end up not getting very much for it.
Normally, I don't like to buy the latest/greatest until it has had a bit of time on the market to iron out bugs and such, but I am sick of the ISO performance of the 60D and can't afford to go to a Mk3 and I have no interest in the 6D. Thanks for any and all advice!

canon rumors FORUM

Too early to sell 60D?
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »
If you are able to get along without it, why are you interested in a new model that might appear in May or later? 

Don't expect ISO anywhere near a FF model.  It might be 1/2 stop better max.  Spend your money on faster lenses, they will not be out of date next year.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »
Normally, I don't like to buy the latest/greatest until it has had a bit of time on the market to iron out bugs and such, but I am sick of the ISO performance of the 60D and can't afford to go to a Mk3 and I have no interest in the 6D.

That leaves you with one option: win the lottery. If you are really that limited by the current 18mp sensor, even if using all the available tricks like fast lenses and ettr then the next higher mp sensor won't satisfy you either. The real question with aps-c is always: What's the final export size, and if it's not 100% then you can get away with higher iso - the dynamic range of the 60d is just mostly like 6d or 5d3.

But more on topic: Canon hasn't even *announced* the 70d or 7d2, and given Canon's latest track record it might be a while afterwards until worldwide availability, not to mention the usual €200 early adopters premium that is lifted after 2-3 months.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
Normally, I don't like to buy the latest/greatest until it has had a bit of time on the market to iron out bugs and such, but I am sick of the ISO performance of the 60D and can't afford to go to a Mk3 and I have no interest in the 6D.

That leaves you with one option: win the lottery. If you are really that limited by the current 18mp sensor, even if using all the available tricks like fast lenses and ettr then the next higher mp sensor won't satisfy you either. The real question with aps-c is always: What's the final export size, and if it's not 100% then you can get away with higher iso - the dynamic range of the 60d is just mostly like 6d or 5d3.

But more on topic: Canon hasn't even *announced* the 70d or 7d2, and given Canon's latest track record it might be a while afterwards until worldwide availability, not to mention the usual €200 early adopters premium that is lifted after 2-3 months.

+1

No matter what the product, those who must have one right away pay a higher price.  Its true for cameras, cars, almost anything. 

RendrLab

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:02:11 PM »
I have another DSLR to get me through if need be. As for glass, I'm currently fine in that department for my needs as well.
I was also hoping that the rumor that the 70D (or whatever it is) will go back to it's 40D/50D roots with a more durable body and (dare I dream) a few more AF Points.
I am happy with my 60D for the most part, but ISO performance does suck. A MP bump would be welcome as I do nothing but large format printing, but if it was the same as the 60D, I wouldn't complain.

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »
What sort of performance do you expect from a 70d?  It seems you expect it to be a marked improvement vs an incremental upgrade. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 01:15:12 PM »
I shoot with the 60Dd as well... There is very little difference in IQ between it, the 7D, or the T4i. Of those, the T4i is very slightly the best... but you need a focusing target and pixel peeping to see the diference. Unles they intoduce revolutionary new technology on the 70D, which I doubt as it seems to be going to be announced with the 7D2, I would not expect any more than a 1/2 stop improvement in the RAW images.

If you want a dramatic improvement you are going to either have to go FF or wait for the 7D2 and hope it delivers on the hyped up rumours.

My choice is to wait until the 7D2 comes out. If it is as rumoured, I'll get one. If not, I'll probably stick to the 60D unless the 70D is far better than anticipated.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 01:15:12 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 01:19:36 PM »
What sort of performance do you expect from a 70d?  It seems you expect it to be a marked improvement vs an incremental upgrade. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Canon has always stayed with their original premise, deliver a good camera for the best possible price.  This means that they carefully do a value engineering on features versus their cost.  I've watched people pickup cameras in Buest Buy, they listen to the salesmans spiel, they buy the cheapest one.

The Nikon D7001 might be a slightly better camera, but the D70 will sell more due to the lower price.  Canon's expertise is high volume production at low prices, and they do not want to lose that edge.

I think they learned with the 5D MK III and will go back to their roots.

RendrLab

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
Sorry, but I really didn't mean for this to turn into a tech specs opinion post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough at the beginning, and if that is the case I do apologize.
The question I have is this; I have recently watched the new/second-hand price of my camera go down a few hundred dollars and I was wondering if anyone believes that with the release of the next in line, will my 60D drop in resale value again or would I be relatively safe to wait and sell when the new one comes out?

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 02:16:38 PM »
Sorry, but I really didn't mean for this to turn into a tech specs opinion post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough at the beginning, and if that is the case I do apologize.
The question I have is this; I have recently watched the new/second-hand price of my camera go down a few hundred dollars and I was wondering if anyone believes that with the release of the next in line, will my 60D drop in resale value again or would I be relatively safe to wait and sell when the new one comes out?

It'll probably drop in price.  Used 5D II prices took a tumble when the 6D came out.  At that point, you might as well consider using it as a spare body or convert to IR...

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 02:43:48 PM »

A couple questions/observations to that point:

Is the 60D your only camera body? If so, if you sell your camera before the announcement of a replacement, how long are you OK with being without a camera? Obviously, if your income depends on the camera, it's a different answer than if it's for enjoyment only. But even your enjoyment has value (perhaps not monetarily).

The 60D isn't an extremely valuable body new (coming from a person who has two 60D's and who is very happy with them). If a 70D is announced tomorrow, how much will used value drop on a 60D body? $100? $200? Let's say $200, just for fun. That means if you sell today, you can cash in on $200 extra. However, if you sell today, and a new body isn't announced as soon as you think/like, does that $200 cover the cost of renting/borrowing/buying a new camera if you have an immediate need? We're talking rumors and potentially vaporware here. Without a concrete, announced, and available product, no one can make solid recommendations.

A camera in the hand is worth more to me than one on the internets.

$.02
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:14:24 PM by IWLP »
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »

Imho the 60d has dropped a lot already, I don't think the 70d/7d2 release will have much impact because both newer cameras will be significantly more expensive - to predict what will happen look at the 40d->50d->60d used prices when the updates were released - if it's a good camera body (and the 60d is) then it'll keep much value.

That's because a 60d will still have better usability than any upcoming Rebel, and most people can do a lot with the 60d (including me) and don't really need a 70d/7d2 with maybe +1/2-1.0 stop better iso. With regular large prints you're the exception to the rule and in all honesty should be saving for a Nikon d800.

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »
Why no interest in the 6D? It's a fantastic camera -- a huge upgrade from the 5D2 in every way.

If you're happy with your 60D but want better high-ISO performance then the 6D is the way to go -- in that department it is rivaled only by the 1DX.

By the way, if money is a big issue then it's never too early to sell a camera body. I sold my 5D2 for exactly what I paid for it late last year before buying my 6D. Glad I sold it when I did, as the used street price for that camera dropped dramatically just after I sold it. Same goes for the T3i I had sold earlier in the year... paid $530 for it (body only) and managed to sell it for $480 just before Canon started selling T3i refurbs for $400 WITH the kit lens.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:09:01 PM by Wildfire »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 04:04:24 PM »
As others have said... try to get along with it if you can... the new 7d2, if believed, is expected to have a 24mp sensor... I would bet, although not a lot, that the 70D would have a similar sensor...  SO... I know technology over the last 2-3 years have improved, if you are expecting superior noise handling with 6 additional megapixels, then i would have to say your sadly mistaken.  It would be something for canon to make the noise and IQ the same as the 18MP cameras with the increased density of the sensor.  IF you feel limited with the 18MP... you may not get better results with the 70D.  While the 6d, as a camera, looks pathetic on paper, in reality it seems to do quite well on reviews.  Anyways, good luck.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »

A couple questions/observations to that point:

Is the 60D your only camera body? If so, if you sell your camera before the announcement of a replacement, how long are you OK with being without a camera? Obviously, if your income depends on the camera, it's a different answer than if it's for enjoyment only. But even your enjoyment has value (perhaps not monetarily).

The 60D isn't an extremely valuable body new (coming from a person who has two 60D's and who is very happy with them). If a 70D is announced tomorrow, how much will used value drop on a 60D body? $100? $200? Let's say $200, just for fun. That means if you sell today, you can cash in on $200 extra. However, if you sell today, and a new body isn't announced as soon as you think/like, does that $200 cover the cost of renting/borrowing/buying a new camera if you have an immediate need? We're talking rumors and potentially vaporware here. Without a concrete, announced, and available product, no one can make solid recommendations.

A camera in the hand is worth more two me than one on the internets.

$.02

+1
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »