October 25, 2014, 03:05:08 AM

Author Topic: Too early to sell 60D?  (Read 5063 times)

DanielW

  • Canon 70D
  • ****
  • Posts: 255
    • View Profile
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
(...) I am sick of the ISO performance of the 60D (...)
Have you tried Topaz DeNoise 5? It makes ISO 1600 very good, and ISO 3200 good even for relatively large prints.

As for selling it now or not, well, I'm keeping mine and will probably buy a 7D mark 2 as soon as the price drops a little, and only then I'll consider selling my 60D.

Check these out:









It seems that there is some pattern of price drop after a few years (earlier for Rebel cameras?) followed by a  period of relative stability.



Maybe the drop has already happened for the 60D. Not sure. I'm keeping mine (and Topaz DeNoise...). :)

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »

Dylan777

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 4195
    • View Profile
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
As the title of this post states, I am wondering what others think about me getting rid of my 60D with hopes Canon is soon to launch the 70D or whatever it may be? The only real reason I am considering selling it now, is that I am afraid the value will decrease again once it's replacement is released & I will end up not getting very much for it.
Normally, I don't like to buy the latest/greatest until it has had a bit of time on the market to iron out bugs and such, but I am sick of the ISO performance of the 60D and can't afford to go to a Mk3 and I have no interest in the 6D. Thanks for any and all advice!

I doubt 60D replacement will give you HUGE improvement in higher ISO. Besides, there is no real specs - none of us would be able to assist you with your decision. Besides, this is CanonRumors.com(not real specs.com). Keep your stuff for now, wait until you see real specs and go from there.


May I ask? What wrong with 6D? Unless you plan to shoot sports or kids running around the house, otherwise, I think 6D will produces much cleaner images in low light/higher ISO then your 60D.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

RendrLab

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 10:24:54 PM »
As the title of this post states, I am wondering what others think about me getting rid of my 60D with hopes Canon is soon to launch the 70D or whatever it may be? The only real reason I am considering selling it now, is that I am afraid the value will decrease again once it's replacement is released & I will end up not getting very much for it.
Normally, I don't like to buy the latest/greatest until it has had a bit of time on the market to iron out bugs and such, but I am sick of the ISO performance of the 60D and can't afford to go to a Mk3 and I have no interest in the 6D. Thanks for any and all advice!

I doubt 60D replacement will give you HUGE improvement in higher ISO. Besides, there is no real specs - none of us would be able to assist you with your decision. Besides, this is CanonRumors.com(not real specs.com). Keep your stuff for now, wait until you see real specs and go from there.


May I ask? What wrong with 6D? Unless you plan to shoot sports or kids running around the house, otherwise, I think 6D will produces much cleaner images in low light/higher ISO then your 60D.


Although the majority of what I shoot goes to large/grand format printing, I do have a couple of rugrats that I love to spend time shooting videos/stills of, and because of them, the 6D completely skipped my radar. I was actually looking forward to the release of the 6D as I would love to go full frame, but the somewhat lacking AF and the video problems have me waiting to see what's next on the menu.
I have thought about keeping the 60D and converting it to IR as I do a lot of landscapes in my off time, but my better half would probably string me up if I invested more money into my 60D AND bought it's cousin.

Mt Spokane Photography

  • EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
  • *********
  • Posts: 8893
    • View Profile
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 11:03:15 PM »
Sorry, but I really didn't mean for this to turn into a tech specs opinion post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough at the beginning, and if that is the case I do apologize.
The question I have is this; I have recently watched the new/second-hand price of my camera go down a few hundred dollars and I was wondering if anyone believes that with the release of the next in line, will my 60D drop in resale value again or would I be relatively safe to wait and sell when the new one comes out?
Camera bodies continue to drop in price as they get older, however, the 60D has dropped a lot already, and probably will not drop much more for another year.
Since the New Nikon D7100 is priced at $1600, expect a 70D to go for at Least $1500.  If that happens, a 60D might even increase in price.  It has happened.

wickidwombat

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 4522
    • View Profile
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 11:16:33 PM »
As the title of this post states, I am wondering what others think about me getting rid of my 60D with hopes Canon is soon to launch the 70D or whatever it may be? The only real reason I am considering selling it now, is that I am afraid the value will decrease again once it's replacement is released & I will end up not getting very much for it.
Normally, I don't like to buy the latest/greatest until it has had a bit of time on the market to iron out bugs and such, but I am sick of the ISO performance of the 60D and can't afford to go to a Mk3 and I have no interest in the 6D. Thanks for any and all advice!

dont expect the 70D to have any better iso performance than the 60D
APS-H Fanboy

Marsu42

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 4826
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 08:31:51 PM »
Have you tried Topaz DeNoise 5? It makes ISO 1600 very good, and ISO 3200 good even for relatively large prints.

Lightroom4 is also good if you do a higher luma sharpening for the whole image (= no noisy bokeh) and then decrease the nr for vital parts with the brush, or vice versa depending on the image - quick and effective.

scott_m

  • Power Shot G7X
  • **
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 10:45:08 PM »
Here's my take on this:

When I decided to switch brands, I waited a *bit* too long to sell my near-mint D700. When the D800 was formally announced, D700 prices tanked by several hundred $ immediately, then recovered slightly after a couple of months. However, the 5DIII was not yet released, and I ended up buying one from the first shipment to arrive in Australia. So I was without a FF camera for a bit less time, but I lost out big on selling the D700, and paid a premium on getting in early on the 5DIII. Thankfully (for me) local prices for the Mark III have remained much more stable than in the US, so I don't feel too bad, especially as my copy has proven faultless (and I didn't have too much invested in Nikkor lenses).

If you sell late due to waiting to see how the replacement body tests out, you will take a hit on your 60D, and unless you are willing to wait for prices of the new camera to stabilize, you'll take another one as an "early adopter". If you sell early, you might do a bit better with the 60D, but with no guarantee that the 70D will give you what you want  i.e. dramatically improved high-ISO performance, meaning you might find yourself stepping up to the 7DII and paying quite a bit more.

Until the "truthiness" about the 7DII comes out (i.e. will Canon move to a completely new fab process for its next-gen sensors?) there's no really easy way out of the high-ISO dilemma unless you decide to jump in with both feet and go FF, in which case you're pretty much sure to get the results. If you don't need the burst rate or advanced AF system, I would be taking a hard look at the 6D - 4-1/2 fps is still pretty quick and only a bit slower than the 60D (though buffer clearing is much faster). Download the high-ISO RAW files from Imaging Resource, process them yourself in DPP and see what you think.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 10:45:08 PM »

AudioGlenn

  • Canon 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 351
    • View Profile
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »
I've been unable to sell my 60D or my 10-22 at the prices I'm asking for.  I think I'll actually just keep them instead of selling them just to get a 16-35 2.8 II.  This way I'll have a backup body AND and ultra wide angle lens, plus a body with an extra 1.6x reach to pair with my 70-200 2.8 IS II and 1.4x III if I ever need a longer focal length....all without having to sell anything.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

skfla

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
i think you may be too late already.  The prices for 60d are down quite a bit where I live (SE US) but I do think they have room to go down more.  Check your local prices and see if you are satisfied with the range you can get. DONT try selling it to your local shop, etc.: you'll get almost nothing for it. 

I guess the main question is since you seem so dissatisfied w/ the 60d, are you going to be happy with whatever your backup camera is?  Unless you are willing to pay the full retail price for the 70d or 7d mark 2, you'll be shooting with your back up for quite awhile if you sell your 60d now.

Fyi, I agree with previous poster that recommended spending on some upscale glass.  Traditionally lens hold value fairly well & you may have a different view of your camera with higher end glass on the front.
still a 5D2 fan

TeenTog

  • Rebel T5i
  • ****
  • Posts: 126
    • View Profile
    • Teen Tog
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »
I would wait untill we have an almost certain date for the 70D to be announced, and then sell it. That way, hopefully you can get a fair amount of $$ without selling it to far bfore the announcement date of the 70D.
Rebel T3, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.8, 430EX II, Nikon EL 2, Assorted Nikkor primes

verysimplejason

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1354
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 12:23:58 AM »
As the title of this post states, I am wondering what others think about me getting rid of my 60D with hopes Canon is soon to launch the 70D or whatever it may be? The only real reason I am considering selling it now, is that I am afraid the value will decrease again once it's replacement is released & I will end up not getting very much for it.
Normally, I don't like to buy the latest/greatest until it has had a bit of time on the market to iron out bugs and such, but I am sick of the ISO performance of the 60D and can't afford to go to a Mk3 and I have no interest in the 6D. Thanks for any and all advice!

Don't expect too much on ISO performance for the 70D.  If anything else, Canon will just introduce better noise reduction.  If you really want to decrease noise, you have to go for a larger sensor.  Investing on a better lens is also better than investing on another

RendrLab

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »
Thanks for all the input everyone. I've decided to keep it and convert to IR if/when a replacement comes to market that I deem a substantial enough upgrade to retire it from everyday use.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Too early to sell 60D?
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »