September 19, 2014, 01:53:36 PM

Author Topic: What is the best pocket camera?  (Read 6768 times)

foto

What is the best pocket camera?
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:11:11 PM »
I wanna get a good Canon pocket camera. If I am ready to spend what is my best choice? I have a 60D but I dont need to carry a heavy camera all the time.

canon rumors FORUM

What is the best pocket camera?
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:11:11 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best pocket camera?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »
I wanna get a good Canon pocket camera. If I am ready to spend what is my best choice? I have a 60D but I dont need to carry a heavy camera all the time.

How big are your pockets? What are you looking to do? What is your price range?

I like my S95, but it's a bit pricey for a tiny camera. 

I've discovered lately when people mention 'pocket' camera, they're referring to a woman's shirt pocket.

A good pair of slacks will fit a G12 if you're a big guy :D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:16:39 PM »
Love my S95.  Truly a pocket camera (unlike G-series), shoots RAW, easy to fully control, goes anywhere, delivers excellent IQ. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

T2iShooter

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:17:58 PM »
I actually had the same question, except my brand range was broader: anything except Nikon :D . My price range is up to $500, and size doesn't matter for me because I tend to wear cargo shorts/pants.

As for Foto (sorry for thread-jacking!), I would have to say the best pocket camera by Canon is the s95,  for its small size, UI (in the form of the control ring around the lens), and the fact that it has the same sensor/processor as the G12 for a cheaper price.
I think everyone is on the same train with the s95 lol.

Kuttan1

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:41:11 PM »
I have a Canon A95 - works great and handy tool that I carry everywhere. My wife uses a SD1200IS.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »
Yeah... the S95 seems to be the verdict with the current generation of canon's DC line.

While I do not own one myself, there's a die-hard fan in my office who's willing to let
me play with his for a bit. :P

Definitely a pocket-size camera, even though I personally find it a bit small and a bit
slippery for my hands.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 12:59:29 AM »
How big are your pockets (literally and figuratively)?
and what do you mean by 'best'?

If you mean 'best' in an IQ sense, I reckon you could easily get a Leica M9 and 35/2 into a pocket (especially as there'd be no cash left in your pocket afterwards)  :P :P

my last P&S was an Olympus u8100 'weatherproof' (which doesn't mean glass-of-beer proof, nor Czech-river-swimming proof, both i found out the hard way). IQ wasn't so bad either, for an 8MP 4 years ago.
The only reason i would buy a P&S again would be for places i can't take my 7D, like skiing or underwater, so my definition of 'best' would be indestructible first, IQ second, although your opinions may be different...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 12:59:29 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 02:59:45 AM »
Whilst i love my s95 its shutter lag it pretty slow.... 

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »
While I am decidedly not a fan of pocket cameras, they are popular, and the right choice for many.

Check out the point and shoot cameras on the Canon refurb site, and then, if you have a old film slr or broken powershot, trade it in using the Canon loyalty Program and you might get a further discount.  I broke down and ordered a 7D yesterday  thru the CLP (trading in a broken old EOS IX lite), and they told me that some power shot cameras were also available on the program.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_12163

Currently $319 for a S95 and less for a s90.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 01:32:05 PM »
While I am decidedly not a fan of pocket cameras, they are popular, and the right choice for many.

Check out the point and shoot cameras on the Canon refurb site, and then, if you have a old film slr or broken powershot, trade it in using the Canon loyalty Program and you might get a further discount.  I broke down and ordered a 7D yesterday  thru the CLP (trading in a broken old EOS IX lite), and they told me that some power shot cameras were also available on the program.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_12163

What was your out-the-door on the 7D?

Just curious :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 01:44:03 PM »

What was your out-the-door on the 7D?

Just curious :)

It was $1187 plus tax (Free 2 Day shipping).  I also bought a refurb 15-85mm to go with it.  If I like them, my 40D or, but not likely, my 1D MK III will go on the block.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »
Wow, that's a great price.

I think you're going to love the 15-85 on the 7D.  My only real gripe about the 60D is I'd like 100% viewfinder coverage, but I'm already used to it.

Congratz.

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »
I find that my S90 allows me to easily access many of the functions or features that I adjust often.  I like that I can have a dedicated exposure lock button, and the programmable ring is excellent, as noted.  However, a feature I've recently become to really enjoy is the dedicated button that changes the ring function.  I like this since some days (or hours ... or minutes ...) I want quick access to changing white balance and the next, I'll want manual focus.

It's still a small camera, but as far as access to the features I use a lot, I find it quite enjoyable.  It doesn't quite get out of my way like an SLR, but it's not bad.
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »

markIVantony

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »
PowerShot S95, because of the small size (very pocket-able), RAW image capability, very good image quality, and extensive shooting controls!

Flake

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 05:25:46 AM »
As others have said it depends what you define as a pocket!

The best Canon is the G12 the S95 cannot produce images of a commercial quality (it's on the banned list of certain stock libraries), but the G12 is capable of images that at fit to screen size are difficult to differentiate from a Medium format system, let alone 35mm.  Of course given optimal conditions, it won't allow background blur or proper macro shots, but it will allow you to use the EX flash system which many others won't. (and it has an optical viewfinder too).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 05:25:46 AM »