September 20, 2014, 10:15:52 AM

Author Topic: Transition from Nikon to Canon  (Read 6978 times)

rihanishtiaq

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account:
Transition from Nikon to Canon
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:12:08 AM »
Hello everyone.

I am switching to canon, Mainly because I want to buy a  CANON full frame after 2 years and most of my friends use canon. But for the time before that I want to USE a mid range canon and enrich my lens collection.

Here is my question.
1. I am stuck between 60D and 650D & in my country 650D is 130USD less.
2. 40mm f/2.8 pancake, can I use this lens in 60d and in Canon full frames 5d3,6d etc  as well?
3. 50mm 1.8 II, 40mm pancake and 18-55kit lens which will give the sharpest image with the 60d or 650d?

Here is my flickr photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meftasadat/

* i always shoot RAW, in manual mode and mostly portraits, street and Landscape.
 Any help would be really appriciated.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:44:03 PM by rihanishtiaq »
60D--50mm1.8 II--18-55 IS--YN 560--Lowepro Slingshot 102AW

canon rumors FORUM

Transition from Nikon to Canon
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:12:08 AM »

Leejo

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Still relearning the same things...
    • View Profile
Re: Transition from Nikon to Canon
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:41:45 AM »
I'll try and answer first.

1) The 60D and 650D are both good cameras - all depending on what you want to shoot could swing it one way or the other. Both could be replaced later this year - but that is often the case.
The 650D is slightly newer so all things being equal, a good choice - but there ar a number of other small differences that could make the difference.

2) The 40mm can be used on all Canon EOS Digital Cameras - including Full Frames.
A good lens for street photography, especially on a Full Frame.

3) The 40mm is definately the sharpest of these three lenses.
Then the 50, then the Kit lens.

Canon 7D

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »
Hello everyone.

I am switching to canon, Mainly because I want to buy a  CANON full frame after 2 years and most of my friends use canon. But for the time before that I want to USE a mid range canon and enrich my lens collection.I have sold my Nikon d90 which I had used for 2 years.

Decisions that are made because of "peer group pressure" are universally bad decisions. The pressure isn't always overt but that you cite "most of my friends" obviously means that you feel like you need to conform.

Switching to Canon won't deliver you better pictures but it will mean you need to spend a whole lot of money that you wouldn't otherwise need to spend. Canon has nothing that will deliver better pictures than the recently released Nikon D7100.

To use the quote that police often use, "If all of your friends jumped off the cliff, would you want to jump off it too?"

tcmatthews

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 07:51:15 AM »
I would buy the 60d. When my old 60d met an unfortunate end I checked out a 650D but bought a second 60D instead.   I could not figure out how to make the 650D zoom in live view and that was important to me.  I was also not impressed by the phase detection on sensor it did not seem to speed up live view at all.  That being said the 650d has a updated processor and you can get a little better ISO performance.  It can also focus silently in video.

reasons I would get the 60d
  • top LCD very useful when in direct sunlight
  • Zoom in liveview for manual focus, macro, etc
  • magic lantern
  • Same battery as 5d II, 5dIII, 6d, 7d etc

40mm is the sharpest and seems to focus faster.
6D, 60D, Rebel XS, EF-S 15-85,  EF 70-200f4L, EF 100f2.8L,  Tamron 70-300VC,  Tamaron 28-75f2.8,   EF 40f2.8,  EF 50f1.8, EF 85f1.8, EF 24mmf2.8IS  EOS M 22f2, 18-55, EOS M-EF adapter, Nex6,  SEL50f18,  SEL1018,  DN 30f2.8, adpaters and Fd and M42 lens.

mdrewpix

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:17:02 AM »
Got to agree that there is no reason to switch systems. Although I prefer the look of Canon files, that's just an opinion and it's personal with no relevance to anyone else. Nikon makes excellent cameras and any of the newest ones will be magnificent. If you want to spend some money on gear, get a camera that matches up with your lenses. This Nikon vs Canon thing is just foolish. If you're not getting good pictures with the camera brand you have, the problem is not the camera.

rihanishtiaq

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 08:30:45 AM »

Decisions that are made because of "peer group pressure" are universally bad decisions. The pressure isn't always overt but that you cite "most of my friends" obviously means that you feel like you need to conform.
To use the quote that police often use, "If all of your friends jumped off the cliff, would you want to jump off it too?"

Actually I meant that I live in University's Dormitory and I can easily borrow lens, flash etc from Conon Users and they have all kinds of lens. So it is a matter of great benefit to me.
60D--50mm1.8 II--18-55 IS--YN 560--Lowepro Slingshot 102AW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 08:30:45 AM »

Rowbear

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Robert Gravel
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »
Got to agree that there is no reason to switch systems. Although I prefer the look of Canon files, that's just an opinion and it's personal with no relevance to anyone else. Nikon makes excellent cameras and any of the newest ones will be magnificent. If you want to spend some money on gear, get a camera that matches up with your lenses. This Nikon vs Canon thing is just foolish. If you're not getting good pictures with the camera brand you have, the problem is not the camera.

+10

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »
If you plan to go full frame in the future, then my suggestion is to not buy the 18-55 kit lens as it can only be used on a crop camera. Why spend money on something you won't likely use in the future? Go with either the 40mm or 50mm. And, I'll echo the suggestion to pick up both cameras and see which you prefer.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »
Switching isn't the answer.  You can use any of the two systems and get better at photography.  If you really want a full frame, go for a second-hand D700 should you decide to stick with Nikon.  If you really want Canon, go for a 5Dc if your budget doesn't permit you or a 5D2.  Don't go for a 60D or 650D because they're not really what you're aiming for.  Just go for an FF camera ASAP so you'll learn how to shoot with it as soon as possible.  Framing is a little bit different from an APS-C aside from the benefits of a larger sensor.

missitnoonan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »
I just recently purchased a 60d as an upgrade from a T1i and am loving it.  The ergonomics are much better, the top LCDand controls are great and the viewfinder is much brighter. Add in the faster continuous shooting and deeper buffer and you've got a winner.

I definitely think there are some advantages to shooting e same system as friends / family. You can share gear easily and you have others you can ask for advice that will know your system.  Most of my family shoots Canon and it's great that I can just pick up one of their cameras and know where everything is, or can hand my camera off to someone to get a shot of me and know they can handle my camera.

That said this is a very slight consideration for me and would only sway me if I had no other reasons for choosing a camera.  Get what works and feels right for you.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:26 AM »
If your going to take photography more seriously, I'd skip the rebel and buy a 5Dc.

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 09:52:44 AM »
How tight is the budget?  I assume very being in college. Honestly choosing a system based on what your "friend" uses isn't the best way to go about it. Plus in a few years time you'll move away from the college life and you won't see those folks as often, so what seems like a good idea now may not end up being so. That being said you probably have little invested in Nikon so if its canon you want far be it for me to tell you otherwise. I'd honestly not worry about whether or not the lenses you get right now will be compatible with full frame. If crop is the budget you may as well enjoy the benefit of lower prices and weight on some very good glass like the Efs 17-55 2.8 IS and efs 15-85. I always recommend buying used that way should you ever switch you won't lose too much of your investment especially if you take good care of your gear.

There are some nice images on your Flickr photo stream, I guess my only question would be what's holding you back with the d90 that you think will improve with a 60d? 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 09:52:44 AM »

killswitch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »
I used to use the 60D before I switched to full frame. On top of what everyone said already I will add this, if possible then try and handhold both the bodies. See what feels comfortable in your hand. I still prefer the 60D's grip and its ergonomics as it fits my hand better than the 600/650D. Also, 60D and 6D's body, button layout and ergonomic is nearly identical and if you plan to step up to the full frame 6D in the future you will find it famliar.

Skip the 18-55 kit lens, and get the 40 EF lens. Remember any "EF" lens will work on both Canon's crop bodies (like the 60D, 650D) and full frame bodies (6D, 5D2, 5D3, etc). The" EF-S" lens (eg. 18-55 you mentioned) however will only work on your crop bodies.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
1. I am stuck between 60D and 650D & in my country 650D is 130USD less.

Except for the different specs you can research for yourself I'd advise the xxd (60d) for other reasons: The better grip and viewfinder (even better on ff of course) make such a large difference I'd never want to use a xxxd (650d), and if you are somewhat advanced the back dial is very important. If the soon to be replaced 60d is out of your budget then buy a used 550d for much less money, it has the same sensor and also runs Magic Lantern.

3. 50mm 1.8 II, 40mm pancake and 18-55kit lens which will give the sharpest image with the 60d or 650d?

I have the 50/1.8 and almost never use it, it has such a crappy build quality, bokeh and loud/slow af motor. So either get a 40/2.8 or even better look at all the good 3rd party primes like Sigma. Just remember that the 60d or 650d don't have af micro adjustment so you have to buy a copy that doesn't need correction.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »