October 30, 2014, 08:31:35 AM

Author Topic: Transition from Nikon to Canon  (Read 7224 times)

rihanishtiaq

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account:
Re: Transition from Nikon to Canon
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »
How tight is the budget? 
There are some nice images on your Flickr photo stream, I guess my only question would be what's holding you back with the d90 that you think will improve with a 60d?
Thank you for your precise opinion.
I think d90 is an excellent camera and I don't think 60d would increase my skills photographically.
But I made my decision for some reasons I a have mentioned and the investment on nikon lenses was very little as well.

And you are right!! budget is very tight and under USD 850 for body and a initial lens.

Thank you everyone for your informative views. It really helped me a lot
60D--50mm1.8 II--18-55 IS--YN 560--Lowepro Slingshot 102AW
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meftasadat/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 11:16:13 PM »
How tight is the budget? 
There are some nice images on your Flickr photo stream, I guess my only question would be what's holding you back with the d90 that you think will improve with a 60d?
Thank you for your precise opinion.
I think d90 is an excellent camera and I don't think 60d would increase my skills photographically.
But I made my decision for some reasons I a have mentioned and the investment on nikon lenses was very little as well.

And you are right!! budget is very tight and under USD 850 for body and a initial lens.

Thank you everyone for your informative views. It really helped me a lot

If I were on your shoes, it'll be a 5Dc + 40mm / 50mm.  If I can only turn back time...

rihanishtiaq

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account:
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
looked for 5DC but didn't get any in local store.

So, finally today I went to the store, checked 60D and 650D both on my hands..
And decided about 60D without delay..for the ergonomics.
Looking forward to the Canon experience. :)
60D--50mm1.8 II--18-55 IS--YN 560--Lowepro Slingshot 102AW
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meftasadat/

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »
Congratulations! Firstly let me say tumar photo khoob pochond hoyeche.

Have fun!

paolotaverna

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »

I switch to Canon pro gear (from D4 and d700 to 1dx + 5D mkIII) and I would say stick to Nikon.

Canon files are greater color wise indeed, and the 1.2 lenses are just great...BUT with Nikon I rarely missed a focus shot and never was worried about underexposing a little.

so for 2 main reasons Dynamic range and focusing system if you are with Nikon no reason to go Canon.
regards

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 11:38:57 AM »

I switch to Canon pro gear (from D4 and d700 to 1dx + 5D mkIII) and I would say stick to Nikon.

Canon files are greater color wise indeed, and the 1.2 lenses are just great...BUT with Nikon I rarely missed a focus shot and never was worried about underexposing a little.

so for 2 main reasons Dynamic range and focusing system if you are with Nikon no reason to go Canon.
regards
While the dynamic range is undoubtedly better in certain Nikon cameras at low ISO, the AF system in the 1D X and 5D MkIII is generally considered to be superior to the D4 and D700 judging by reviews written by pro photographers. Also, the DR improvements in the D4 and D700 over Canon aren't as marked as in the D600/D800.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Robert Welch

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
I know the D800 has exceptional low ISO DR, but other than that how much better is Nikon for DR than Canon? For most other models, is it really a significant difference in actual usage (in other words, how much difference will it make in print)? And at high ISO, that advantage is lost for Nikon, isn't it? And as for AF, seems with the 5D3 and more recent at least, Canon has become the equal at the very least. I know my 5D3 never misses unless it's user error, and I just got a 6D which in almost no available light it will lock focus perfectly. I don't see any of those being reasons to pick one or the other.

As for the OP, if you are looking to go full frame with Canon, then the original 5D is the absolute bargain camera, it's far superior IQ to any cropped camera (at least up to 1600iso), and you can probably find a good condition one for less than a new 60D, or maybe even a 650D. I'd pair that with the 40mm pancake for the most cost effective, high quality full frame setup to get started with from any camera maker. As you learn to appreciate full frame, you can save your money to upgrade to 6D or 5D3, depending on your need for AF (the 5D3 being better for moving subjects, and the 6D better for low light, stagnant subjects).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »
I'm a Canon shooter and feel that there is little difference between the two systems: Nikon and Canon.  Both have their merits and spectacular shots are obtainable using either.

Your shots on Flickr are fabulous.  Why would you want to change something that has been working for you?  Unless you are intrigued or feel you absolutely need a change.  Perhaps, if you have an itch to spend some cash, get some new Nikkor glass.  Or upgrade your current body to something bigger and better: maybe a D600.   I would not switch just on a whim or because your buds shoot Canon.

Besides, everything is opposite in terms of controls on the Canon... :-)

Kind regards,
Jason
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

weekendshooter

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »
I'm a Canon shooter and feel that there is little difference between the two systems: Nikon and Canon.  Both have their merits and spectacular shots are obtainable using either.

Your shots on Flickr are fabulous.  Why would you want to change something that has been working for you?  Unless you are intrigued or feel you absolutely need a change.  Perhaps, if you have an itch to spend some cash, get some new Nikkor glass.  Or upgrade your current body to something bigger and better: maybe a D600.   I would not switch just on a whim or because your buds shoot Canon.

Besides, everything is opposite in terms of controls on the Canon... :-)

Kind regards,
Jason

+1

OP, your D90 is still a great camera! The sensor is dated compared to the more modern Nikons, but compares very favorably to any Canon crop body to date. Any move right now would be a step backwards for you I imagine, as you would be moving to a body with an inferior sensor and an unfamiliar control layout.

I moved from a 450D to a D700, so I'm familiar with both systems. The in-body AF motor in your D90 allows you to use a vast array of legacy lenses, many of which are very good and widely available at low secondhand prices. I don't know what lenses you currently own, but I would suggest adding some primes to your kit if you don't already own any. There are so many - 20, 24, 28, 35, 50, and 85, for starters - all perform very well on DX and quite well on FX, even these days.

Any of these lenses would be compatible with a future full frame purchase, and I highly recommend the D700. In Canon terms, it's a lower-resolution 5D3 - full frame, great high ISO, pro-level AF, and very solid build. All that can be had for under $1400 USD used these days, and that will likely drop further and further over time.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 12:58:14 AM »
Hello everyone.

I am switching to canon, Mainly because I want to buy a  CANON full frame after 2 years and most of my friends use canon. But for the time before that I want to USE a mid range canon and enrich my lens collection.

If you are planning on having a full frame camera and what all the lens to work on it, then skip the EF-S lens.  If you have both a crop and FF body, then you may need a few EF-S lens such as the 10-22 to handle situations where your EF (not EF-S) lenses can not address.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 01:26:18 AM »

regards

The AF system and high ISO noise are better in the 1DX.  Don't know where you got your info, but I shoot with a ton of Nikon photogs and this is not what they are saying.  I don't care anyways, I can't think of a time I missed a shot due to OOF lately, so I guess I'm not worried.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Plamen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 01:29:12 AM »
Stay away from the 50/1.8. It has very inconsistent AF.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 01:30:57 AM »
Stay away from the 50/1.8. It has very inconsistent AF.

Agreed.  The f/1.4 is better with AF.  I've shot a ton of action with the 50 f/1.4 and I was very surprised at how few misses I had.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 01:30:57 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 02:10:53 AM »
To use the quote that police often use, "If all of your friends jumped off the cliff, would you want to jump off it too?"
Sadly all too true. Notably with substance abuse. We can be impossibly loyal little mammals sometimes.

To the OP, stay true. There's nothing remotely wrong with Nikon. In many respects they're industry leaders. Peer pressure is a weird thing. Your friends might quietly admire your pro-Nikon position.

-PW

Plamen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 02:17:53 AM »
With all due respect to Nikon, the OP did not ask whether switching to Canon was a good idea. His question was very different.

There is a very good reason to shoot with the same system as your friends. You can exchange lenses, and get advice from people you trust.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 02:17:53 AM »