August 21, 2014, 06:16:15 AM

Author Topic: How good is Reikan FoCal?  (Read 17177 times)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Reikan FoCal?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
When you installed the Mono framework, did you use Reikan's link to the correct version?
With the first installation of Mono framework (version 3.10.12), FoCal wold not allow me to run the program it asked me to install the correct version ... so I uninstalled it and installed the correct version (2.10.9) ... after this FoCal started working ... then the above-mentioned errors occurred.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »
I would spend the money on a SpyderCal or LensCal AFMA target setup.  I've used FoCal since Version 1.2 and after 1.4 the program has been flaky and  have not been able to get it to produce consistent and correct results.  I've resulted to using a SpyderCal target (Small target with a slanted ruler) that folds up and can fit in your camera bag.  With the SpyderCal I now have my lenses AF spot on and you can verify your AFMA from time to time and in different lighting conditions.  AFMA will be different depending on whether you Cal in Tungsten or Daylight.  I prefer Daylight as that is what I shoot the most in.

When you AFMA your lenses with FoCal you never know if it's going to be correct or not.  Even with very adequate lighting EV14+ I could not get consistent results that would equal what I got with using SpyderCal.

Hi,

I have been thinking of purchasing the Reikan FoCal software for AFMA and have gone through various threads here  on this aspect but am still confused.

How good is it? Does it really solve your problems of AFMA?

Is there anything that you need to especially take care of when you use this software to ensure that you make the best use of it - i mean anything which is not mentioned by the Reikan guys?

Your thoughts on this ...

Cheers ... JR

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »
When you AFMA your lenses with FoCal you never know if it's going to be correct or not.  Even with very adequate lighting EV14+ I could not get consistent results that would equal what I got with using SpyderCal.

Sorry to hear that!  I do have to say, though, that you seem to be in the minority. 

Personally, I get consistent results, that match a manual estimate with a LensAlign Pro, even with the 1.9 beta version (although I will say that v1.8 crashed frequently for me under Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8, whereas v1.9b seems stable). 

What suggestions for your inconsistent results were offered by Reikan support, when you contacted them?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »
I manually AFMA... maybe I'm way off, but I think I got pretty dang close.  I initially took readings at -20 through +20 in increments of five (both wide and tele), found the zone I thought looked best by comparing in lightroom... then I took a sample of 7 spots in increments of 1.

It took about 3 hours for two lenses... but I like to think of it as fun hours rather than work and toil. 

And my results... +3 for both wide and tele for my 24-105 and  +2 wide and +4 zoom for my 70-200 mkii. 

Evidently I'm productive without sports.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:03:02 PM by jdramirez »
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2013, 11:18:21 PM »
I did not contact them as I was able to AFMA all of my lenses with Spydercal in fewer exposures and less time than it would take to get everything set up with Focal, including lights, targets, steady mount, reshoots because of camera movement when manually setting AFMA on the 5D3, etc.

Most of my frustration with the software is that everything has to be rock solid and super stable through out the test.  I even fabricated wooden V-blocks to support the lenses on a concrete floor so shot to shot the camera would not move...not even an earthquake would move the lens.

It was much MUCH easier to use the spydercal and just take maybe 8 to 10 shots using a tripod and cable release.  The software pretty much needs ideal conditions to conduct it's analysis and given that it still does not provide decent enough results.  I get plot points all over the place and most of the time the software just gives up.  I take 8 to 10 shots with the spydercal and AF is consistently dead on.  So it's not the lenses, it's not the camera (I've used two, 5DIII and a 7D which I've sold), it's not the setup I am using and I am confident NOTHING is moving between shots.  I've given it the full sun for lighting, I've used Tungsten Halogen lamps.  I've tried three different computers, XP, Win7 32bit and win7 64 bit.  I've done most of the tests indoors except the long tele's which need a football field and I've wasted hours trying to appease the software into submission in all cases (though I had reasonable success with my old 24-70 2.8L which is the oldest of my lenses!)

At this point I'm not going to waste more time calling them as it's easier and faster to do the calibration with a SpyderCal.  I have tried each new version since 1.4 but no real improvement.  TurboCal does seem to produce a result every time but it's inconsistent from one test to the next and none of the results were even close to the manually calculated AFMA using the SpyderCal.

My frustration with the program is beyond words.  So I just keep putting out there that when you use FoCal, you still need a way to verify the AFMA such as with a spydercal.  Dont "trust" that FoCal has worked as expected.  You need to verify what it's produced and at that point you might as well just use SpyderCal or LensCal in the first place.

Sorry to hear that!  I do have to say, though, that you seem to be in the minority. 

Personally, I get consistent results, that match a manual estimate with a LensAlign Pro, even with the 1.9 beta version (although I will say that v1.8 crashed frequently for me under Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8, whereas v1.9b seems stable). 

What suggestions for your inconsistent results were offered by Reikan support, when you contacted them?

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2013, 11:25:16 PM »
You probably could have saved some time by just testing -10 to 10.  If your AF is off my more than that you would notice it on every shot, likely even with the lens stopped down.

Using a SpyderCal, I can get a lens AFMAd in about 10 to 15 minutes..less if it's closer to zero.  The SPydercal or LensCal uses a slanted ruler so once you are on the ruler, you know which way to go to make your adjustment.  Very quick and very precice...though you have to review the shots on your computer screen, not on the back of the camera.  That's what takes most of the time, dumping the shots down.  The last lens I did, I used an Eye-Fi card and setup outside then just came inside to review on the big screen.

I manually AFMA... maybe I'm way off, but I think I got pretty dang close.  I initially took readings at -20 through +20 in increments of five (both wide and tele), found the zone I thought looked best by comparing in lightroom... then I took a sample of 7 spots in increments of 1.

It took about 3 hours for two lenses... but I like to think of it as fun hours rather than work and toil. 

And my results... +3 for both wide and tele for my 24-105 and  +2 wide and +4 zoom for my 70-200 mkii. 

Evidently I'm productive without sports.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »
My frustration with the program is beyond words.  So I just keep putting out there that when you use FoCal, you still need a way to verify the AFMA such as with a spydercal.  Dont "trust" that FoCal has worked as expected.  You need to verify what it's produced and at that point you might as well just use SpyderCal or LensCal in the first place.

How do you verify your SpyderLensCal results?  Personally, I never found that 8-10 shots were enough with a LensAlign Pro.

As I said, I get equivalent results with FoCal and LensAlign when I do compare them, but the LensAlign is a lot more work.  Perhaps it's that digital image analysis (of microscopy images) was part of my day job for many years, but I know that a properly-written algorithm can pick the sharpest image from a group better than a human eye, particularly when the images are close. Gauging the edges of the DoF on the angled ruler was not always obvious (particular with slower lenses at longer distances).  I'll also take a quantitative analysis over a qualitative analysis any day of the week.

I'm honestly not sure why you're getting inconsistent results with the setup you describe.  But perhaps I am getting consistent results because of how I use FoCal - for image analysis only.  They do seem to have worked toward predictive algorithms with each release, so that fewer shots are required per test.  It may be that their algorithms aren't all that predictive - undersampling with a system that has both systematic and random error can easily lead to erroneous results.  Since I got the 1D X before there was any FoCal support, I was forced to use Manual Mode - and I found it easy and very robust. I still do it that way.  Granted...I know that I'm oversampling (a lot), but my curve fits are solid, and the conclusion is visually evident.  Before FoCal, I wrote a Matlab script to do a similar analysis - FoCal is easier, with a nice front end GUI (something I have no idea how to code), and it works on jpgs instead of requiring conversion to tifs.

My setup is pretty simple - I leave a target taped to the basement wall (I've got enough room down there for up to a 300mm lens; outdoors I tape a target to the fence), set up the camera on a stable tripod, align as best I can (using the camera's level and my eyeball alignment), and shoot two shots per even AFMA value over |10| (defocused in opposite directions) and three shots from -10 to +10 (two defocused opposite then one without defocusing).  Setup takes less than 5 minutes, taking the 83 shots per test takes about 10 minutes.  It's quite obvious what the correct result should be, based on the curve. In the software, I can click on any point on the plot and see the image from which the data point was derived.  What's to verify?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2013, 01:56:13 AM »
I finally sold my lens align tool because I was not getting consistent results.  After getting focal, my results are consistent and its fast, I can do several lenses in a hour.
As others have noted, a high shutter speed (lots of light) works far better than fighting to get a absolutely solid mount for the camera and lens so you can shoot at 1/10th second.

The other reason is my inability to be certain which image is the sharpest, I just can't discern the answer consistently.  It probably does not matter if I am within 3 points, but in some cases, I was closer to 10 points off when doing the test with the Len Align tool.

Obviously, some have very acute vision and can sort out the sharpness difference from image to image, but they are not the majority. 

There is a learning curve with FoCal, but once you have done your first 10 lenses, it gets pretty easy because you learn from mistakes.  All my charts are printed and mounted to stiff foam core which is attached to a tripod with a QR plate.   I pre-ordered FoCal before the first release, and saved on the price.  There was one user on CR who was a beta tester and pointed us toward it. It was well worth the cost.

With the Lens Align, I took a shot with contrast detect, and then adjusted the AFMA to be as close as possible.

Here is a contrast detect with my 100L, for example.  The adjusted image looks the same. The issue comes when you realize that contrast detect is greatly inconsistent, which wasn't well known at the time.

Here is a early shot of me using FoCal indoors. The target is mounted to the tripod on the light table , while my laptop is mounted to the tripod.  This caused issues if I moved, because the floor would shake the tripod, camera, and even the target.  I now setup on concrete in my garage, or with the camera in the garage and the target outdoors in bright light for longer lenses.

Here is one page of the pdf report that FoCal saves for each test.  All the test images are included as 100% crops in the report, so if your eyes are very good, you can confirm the results visually.

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
to be fair their system was pretty quick in generating a ticket number for my problem so I'm pretty confident they'll get back to me.
UPDATE:
Waiting on Reikan to contact me for the ticket they generated for my complaint on Friday ... so far my Ticket Status with Reikan shows as "Being Procesed" (refer to the attachment) ... will keep posting my experience with Reikan and how they resolve this problem ... hope it helps those who are considering FoCal.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:14:04 PM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »
I know you seem to have good results reading your posts over the last year or so.  I wish I had similar success.  FoCal seemed to be what was needed.  Perhaps your manual mode is the ticket and just manually removing the outliers as needed to fit the curve.  However the software should be able to do this automatically (at least the analysis part) which it does not seem to do well.

With the SpyderCal it is very easy (at least for me) to determine what is in focus and what is out of focus.  In 10 shots I would say 8 produce the same result and the other two maybe off by .25cm.  I ignore them and use the ones that are consistent to determine which way to move the AFMA adjustment.  I've also found that changing the brightness and using unsharp masking can help reveal the lines that are in focus and those that are not.  Example, using ACR you can hold the ALT key and move the masking slider to optimize your view of the infocus lines.

To be honest, looking at the Focal Target images is not easy for me to determine which ones are sharper, particularly when AFMA is maybe one or two from another.  I can discern that on my SpyderCal fairly easily hence my need to verify what FoCal is reporting (which for me is obviously wrong).

How do you verify your SpyderLensCal results?  Personally, I never found that 8-10 shots were enough with a LensAlign Pro.

As I said, I get equivalent results with FoCal and LensAlign when I do compare them, but the LensAlign is a lot more work.  Perhaps it's that digital image analysis (of microscopy images) was part of my day job for many years, but I know that a properly-written algorithm can pick the sharpest image from a group better than a human eye, particularly when the images are close. Gauging the edges of the DoF on the angled ruler was not always obvious (particular with slower lenses at longer distances).  I'll also take a quantitative analysis over a qualitative analysis any day of the week.

I'm honestly not sure why you're getting inconsistent results with the setup you describe.  But perhaps I am getting consistent results because of how I use FoCal - for image analysis only.  They do seem to have worked toward predictive algorithms with each release, so that fewer shots are required per test.  It may be that their algorithms aren't all that predictive - undersampling with a system that has both systematic and random error can easily lead to erroneous results.  Since I got the 1D X before there was any FoCal support, I was forced to use Manual Mode - and I found it easy and very robust. I still do it that way.  Granted...I know that I'm oversampling (a lot), but my curve fits are solid, and the conclusion is visually evident.  Before FoCal, I wrote a Matlab script to do a similar analysis - FoCal is easier, with a nice front end GUI (something I have no idea how to code), and it works on jpgs instead of requiring conversion to tifs.

My setup is pretty simple - I leave a target taped to the basement wall (I've got enough room down there for up to a 300mm lens; outdoors I tape a target to the fence), set up the camera on a stable tripod, align as best I can (using the camera's level and my eyeball alignment), and shoot two shots per even AFMA value over |10| (defocused in opposite directions) and three shots from -10 to +10 (two defocused opposite then one without defocusing).  Setup takes less than 5 minutes, taking the 83 shots per test takes about 10 minutes.  It's quite obvious what the correct result should be, based on the curve. In the software, I can click on any point on the plot and see the image from which the data point was derived.  What's to verify?

DJD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »
Does anyone have some good real world example photos of before and after using FoCal that illustrate the improvement?

Thanks,
DJD
7D, 400D, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, Lightroom 5.6

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2013, 06:02:08 AM »

unfortunately, by the time I sent a message to Reikan it was past 5pm GMT yesterday, (they are closed for the weekend) so I'll have to wait till Monday.
to be fair their system was pretty quick in generating a ticket number for my problem so I'm pretty confident they'll get back to me.
UPDATE:
Waiting on Reikan to contact me for the ticket they generated for my complaint on Friday ... so far my Ticket Status with Reikan shows as "Being Procesed" (refer to the attachment) ... will keep posting my experience with Reikan and how they resolve this problem ... hope it helps those who are considering FoCal.
UPDATE No.2
Woke up very late today coz last night Qatar declared today as a public holiday, coz the Emir (ruler of the nation) handed over the power to his 33 year old son (I think it is brilliant to have youth leading the nation) hence the holiday and the cause to get up late ... anyway, back to the topic:
11 hours ago Reikan sent me an email (but I just saw it now, coz I woke up very late ... by the way, Reikan's website says 72 hours, I'm assuming that is business hours, for getting back to customer complaints ... they got back to me in abiut 24 business hours, as I only sent in the complaint at the end of their business week ... so I'd say Reikan's turn-around time is very good ) ... now, here is
Reikan's message:

Hi,

Sorry to hear that - just let me ask you a couple more questions:

Can you confirm you installed mono 2.10.9 from the fo-cal website?

Are you using any form of usb extension cable, usb hub? Have you tried the camera in a different port?

I assume you get past the find and connect part of the connection?

many thanks

My Reply:

Hi,

Thank you for your email.
Originally I installed the wrong Mono framework (version 3.10.12) and FoCal wold not allow me to run the program, it asked me to install the correct version ... so I uninstalled the wrong version (3.10.12) and installed the correct version (2.10.9) ... after this FoCal opened up and began the tests until I got the error messages.

Yes I was successful in getting past the "find and connect" part of the connection.

I used the USB cable that came with my Canon 5D MK III, I did not use any extensions ... I also tried 2 different USB cables just to be sure that it wasn't the fault of the cable. 

My MacBook Pro has 2 USB ports and I tried in both.

My first attempt was using the "Fully Automatic" mode ... heard a couple of shots being taken and in the info section it said "Defocusing Lens" and a few seconds later I got this error "LiveViewStae: Action timeout"

The I re-launched FoCal and tried the "Semi Automatic" mode ... heard a couple of shots being taken and a few seconds later, I get an error message 'DoPhaseDetectAF: Action timeout'

I ran the test 6 times (3 times on Fully Automatic mode & 3 times on Semi Automatic Mode), kept getting the same error messages every single time at about the same time.

Can't figure out what is causing these errors ... your assistance in resolving this issue is most appreciated.

Will keep you posted on further developments.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:19:27 AM by Rienzphotoz »

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »

unfortunately, by the time I sent a message to Reikan it was past 5pm GMT yesterday, (they are closed for the weekend) so I'll have to wait till Monday.
UPDATE:
UPDATE No.2
Woke up very late today coz last night Qatar declared today as a public holiday, coz the Emir (ruler of the nation) handed over the power to his 33 year old son (I think it is brilliant to have youth leading the nation) hence the holiday and the cause to get up late ... anyway, back to the topic:
11 hours ago Reikan sent me an email (but I just saw it now, coz I woke up very late ... by the way, Reikan's website says 72 hours, I'm assuming that is business hours, for getting back to customer complaints ... they got back to me in abiut 24 business hours, as I only sent in the complaint at the end of their business week ... so I'd say Reikan's turn-around time is very good ) ... now, here is
Reikan's message:

Hi,

Are you using any form of usb extension cable, usb hub? Have you tried the camera in a different port?

many thanks

My Reply:

Hi,

Originally I installed the wrong Mono framework (version 3.10.12) and FoCal wold not allow me to run the program, it asked me to install the correct version ... so I uninstalled the wrong version (3.10.12) and installed the correct version (2.10.9) ... after this FoCal opened up and began the tests until I got the error messages.

Yes I was successful in getting past the "find and connect" part of the connection.

I used the USB cable that came with my Canon 5D MK III, I did not use any extensions ... I also tried 2 different USB cables just to be sure that it wasn't the fault of the cable. 

My first attempt was using the "Fully Automatic" mode ... heard a couple of shots being taken and in the info section it said "Defocusing Lens" and a few seconds later I got this error "LiveViewStae: Action timeout"

The I re-launched FoCal and tried the "Semi Automatic" mode ... heard a couple of shots being taken and a few seconds later, I get an error message 'DoPhaseDetectAF: Action timeout'

I ran the test 6 times (3 times on Fully Automatic mode & 3 times on Semi Automatic Mode), kept getting the same error messages every single time at about the same time.

Can't figure out what is causing these errors ... your assistance in resolving this issue is most appreciated.

UPDATE 3
While I'm waiting for Reikan to get back, I decided to update to version 1.9.0M (which was released a few hours after I bought FoCal on 21 June 2013) ... after installation, I chose "Fully Automatic" Mode ... everything worked fine ... it took about 21 photos after that, I got a "Warning" saying: "Unexpected analysis results: adding more test photos..." ... after this it took more photos (38 in all) and gave me another message that the test yielded inconsistent results and if want to restart the test or quite (or something to that effect) ... I am assuming it might have something to do with me touching the camera to change AFMA values. I am going to rerun the test and re-post with an update. But the good news is that FoCal is working ... Yippee!
I have not informed Reikan that I updated to the newer version ... gonna do that after I re-start and complete at least one test.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »

UPDATE:
UPDATE No.2
Reikan's message:

Hi,

many thanks

My Reply:

Hi,

UPDATE 3
While I'm waiting for Reikan to get back, I decided to update to version 1.9.0M (which was released a few hours after I bought FoCal on 21 June 2013) ... after installation, I chose "Fully Automatic" Mode ... everything worked fine ... it took about 21 photos after that, I got a "Warning" saying: "Unexpected analysis results: adding more test photos..." ... after this it took more photos (38 in all) and gave me another message that the test yielded inconsistent results and if want to restart the test or quite (or something to that effect) ... I am assuming it might have something to do with me touching the camera to change AFMA values. I am going to rerun the test and re-post with an update. But the good news is that FoCal is working ... Yippee!
I have not informed Reikan that I updated to the newer version ... gonna do that after I re-start and complete at least one test.
UPDATE 4
I ran the test again with EF 50mm f/1.4 ... FoCal seemed to work fine, prompting me to change the AFMA values (which I did as per the prompts) but after 21 shots it said "Warning": "Unexpected analysis results: adding more test photos..."

I clicked on OK and it took another 17 photos (total 38) then FoCal displayed the following message:
Poor Results
The result obtained from the camera and lens are not behaving as expected despite trying more testing. The overall result may be poor if you continue

Then I changed the lens to EF 40mm f/2.8 and ran the test (making sure the camera to chart distance is 2 meters i.e. 40 x 50x as per the FoCal Test Distance Chart instructions) ... this time the test ran for less than a minute and gave me the following error message:
"Error
Failed to download image from the camera
"

... when clicked on OK button, I got this message:
"Error
Could not get analysis information
"
 :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Sent another message to Reikan, informing them that I updated to version 1.9.0M and pretty much said exactly what I mentioned in those post ... hopefully they will have some solution.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:38:17 AM by Rienzphotoz »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »
Now you feel my pain as well!!!  This happens for me with all of my lenses except my old (very old) 24-70 2.8L.  Major Analysis issues and it has gotten worse with each incremental version.

UPDATE:
UPDATE No.2
Reikan's message:

Hi,

many thanks

My Reply:

Hi,

UPDATE 3
UPDATE 4
I ran the test again with EF 50mm f/1.4 ... FoCal seemed to work fine, prompting me to change the AFMA values (which I did as per the prompts) but after 21 shots it said "Warning": "Unexpected analysis results: adding more test photos..."

I clicked on OK and it took another 17 photos (total 38) then FoCal displayed the following message:
Poor Results
The result obtained from the camera and lens are not behaving as expected despite trying more testing. The overall result may be poor if you continue

Then I changed the lens to EF 40mm f/2.8 and ran the test (making sure the camera to chart distance is 2 meters i.e. 40 x 50x as per the FoCal Test Distance Chart instructions) ... this time the test ran for less than a minute and gave me the following error message:
"Error
Failed to download image from the camera
"

... when clicked on OK button, I got this message:
"Error
Could not get analysis information
"
 :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Sent another message to Reikan, informing them that I updated to version 1.9.0M and pretty said exactly what I mentioned in those post ... hopefully they will have some solution.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »