November 24, 2014, 07:31:59 AM

Author Topic: How good is Reikan FoCal?  (Read 19795 times)

fegari

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My 500px
Re: How good is Reikan FoCal?
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
I have but problems with this software...it is the first time in my life I cannot use a software, maybe I've really dumbed down with age but since I have it (a year ago or more) I have not been able to adjust a lens ONCE.

Just installed the version 1.9 today and thought to give it a go. Hadn't used it since the first day  I got it and besides not wrking It managed to block my 5D3 and had to reset it to factory parameters.

Anyway, today with my shiny new super tripod (previous one was a pain in the ass, thought that was the culprit) still won't work.

First shot, first AFMA change (+1) and the thing just loops and loops asking me to change it to +1 which I had already done...no way to get out of it but unplugging the camera. Have little patience now for this Reikan so I'm going to give the Dot-tune method a try tomorrow, which is free!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2013, 03:14:53 AM »
Did you select Canon (or Nikon) in the Preferences?
I select 'Canon' for 5D MK III and 'Nikon' for D7100 ... see the attached screen shots of my FoCal preferences
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2013, 03:21:39 AM »
Since it already failed on two of your computers, and you got errors like "failed to transfer..." could there be something wrong with the camera or cable? Latest Firmware? Can you try a different cable?
You probably checked all the settings against the manual several times, maybe it is a hardware problem ...

That's a good idea. Process of elimination: two different cameras, two different computers, two different versions of the software, and multiple lenses. Have you tried multiple cables yet?

Ugh... I wish I was there.

I've had a bad USB cable before. It generally worked but would sometimes cause problems. It was a lightweight low quality cable that ended up in the trash with a quickness once I figured out what was going on.
5 USB cables were used (3 for Canon & 2 for Nikon) ... also tried different USB ports on my computers just to make sure that it wasn't the USB cables/ports that were causing the problems ... during the coming weekend, I will try and borrow a Canon 7D to test it out with FoCal.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2013, 01:10:07 PM »
I get the same issues with a 7D just doesn't take as long for it to error out as it is actually fully auto.  Rarely can I get the routine to finish successfully.  Meanwhile it just keeps racking up shutter actuations.

Since it already failed on two of your computers, and you got errors like "failed to transfer..." could there be something wrong with the camera or cable? Latest Firmware? Can you try a different cable?
You probably checked all the settings against the manual several times, maybe it is a hardware problem ...

That's a good idea. Process of elimination: two different cameras, two different computers, two different versions of the software, and multiple lenses. Have you tried multiple cables yet?

Ugh... I wish I was there.

I've had a bad USB cable before. It generally worked but would sometimes cause problems. It was a lightweight low quality cable that ended up in the trash with a quickness once I figured out what was going on.
5 USB cables were used (3 for Canon & 2 for Nikon) ... also tried different USB ports on my computers just to make sure that it wasn't the USB cables/ports that were causing the problems ... during the coming weekend, I will try and borrow a Canon 7D to test it out with FoCal.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »
Meanwhile it just keeps racking up shutter actuations.
I know - and the last version or so seems to take 2 shots at every setting (why?) so I think I'm going to try to the manual mode next time.  I realized that I had forgotten to calibrate my 50 f/1.2 last night, or I had set it to +20 for some bizarre reason, so I'll give it a try this week and report back on the results.

Also, the new Turbo mode just seem bizarre.  I wish the author would explain how it works.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:56:22 PM by mackguyver »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2013, 06:44:13 PM »
I tried manual mode today on my 50 f/1.2 on my 5D Mark III and it worked beautifully.  It's my toughest lens to calibrate and while I wouldn't use manual mode for my 5D Mark II, considering I have to sit there and fool with my 5D Mark III, it was much more efficient.  It took my about 2-3 minutes total to take the shots (2 at each multiple of 5 from -20 to +20) because I didn't have to sit there while it downloaded...and processed...and calculated...

You have to manually enter the AFMA setting, but if you do -20, -20, -15, -15...15, 15, 20, 20 like I did, it's not hard.  It still takes a while to process the RAW files, but overall it's a much more pleasurable experience and all but one of my shots was consistent and I got great results.  No "adding more shots" crap that I get with it tethered, particularly with this lens.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
You have to manually enter the AFMA setting, but if you do -20, -20, -15, -15...15, 15, 20, 20 like I did, it's not hard.

You shouldn't have to enter them manually, at least I never have - the values are in the EXIF metadata.  IIRC, after you load the files it doesn't show an AFMA, but it pulls them up during the analysis.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »
You have to manually enter the AFMA setting, but if you do -20, -20, -15, -15...15, 15, 20, 20 like I did, it's not hard.

You shouldn't have to enter them manually, at least I never have - the values are in the EXIF metadata.  IIRC, after you load the files it doesn't show an AFMA, but it pulls them up during the analysis.

If mackguyver is using backbutton focus, then he might not have held in the backbutton ;)
I has sure given me a couple of more grey hairs  ???

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2013, 11:18:14 PM »

If mackguyver is using backbutton focus, then he might not have held in the backbutton ;)

With the 1D X, yes. Seems the 5DIII records it regardless. Although perhaps FoCal can't pull it up, it's recorded in the EXIF of 5DIII files.

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 04:08:16 AM »

With the 1D X, yes. Seems the 5DIII records it regardless. Although perhaps FoCal can't pull it up, it's recorded in the EXIF of 5DIII files.

Neuro, we discussed exactly this in another thread recently - I use BBF on my 5D3, and if I don't hold in the BBF-button when releasing the shot, the AFMA doesn't get recorded in a way for FoCal to pick up :(

The AFMA info doesn't even show up on the LCD screen, if I don't hold in the BBF.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2013, 06:30:18 AM »

Neuro, we discussed exactly this in another thread recently - I use BBF on my 5D3, and if I don't hold in the BBF-button when releasing the shot, the AFMA doesn't get recorded in a way for FoCal to pick up :(

The AFMA info doesn't even show up on the LCD screen, if I don't hold in the BBF.

I recall, but it was still shown in Exiftool (for 5DIII images, not 1D X images), so it's there even if FoCal can't read it.  So, back button AF may be the issue, but as I stated, when you load images into FoCal, it doesn't show the AFMA value even if it's readable.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2013, 02:11:37 PM »

I recall, but it was still shown in Exiftool (for 5DIII images, not 1D X images), so it's there even if FoCal can't read it.  So, back button AF may be the issue, but as I stated, when you load images into FoCal, it doesn't show the AFMA value even if it's readable.
I didn't realize the BBF could mess things up, but yes, that's what I was using.  I thought the AFMA was in the metadata as well - wonder if it's just a software bug.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »
I believe there's an EXIF flag for whether AF was active, and if not, FoCal ignores the AFMA even if it's there.

Bottom line, if you use back button AF, make sure you're holding down AF-ON when you press the shutter when shooting for manual FoCal calibration.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2013, 02:29:30 PM »
I guess there is hope still.  :)  I'll give manual mode a shot when I purchase my next lens.  Shouldn't be long now....

I tried manual mode today on my 50 f/1.2 on my 5D Mark III and it worked beautifully.  It's my toughest lens to calibrate and while I wouldn't use manual mode for my 5D Mark II, considering I have to sit there and fool with my 5D Mark III, it was much more efficient.  It took my about 2-3 minutes total to take the shots (2 at each multiple of 5 from -20 to +20) because I didn't have to sit there while it downloaded...and processed...and calculated...

You have to manually enter the AFMA setting, but if you do -20, -20, -15, -15...15, 15, 20, 20 like I did, it's not hard.  It still takes a while to process the RAW files, but overall it's a much more pleasurable experience and all but one of my shots was consistent and I got great results.  No "adding more shots" crap that I get with it tethered, particularly with this lens.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
I guess there is hope still.  :)  I'll give manual mode a shot when I purchase my next lens.  Shouldn't be long now....

Definitely give it a try, especially if you're a 5DIII or 1DX user, and most especially if you're using fast glass.  f/2.8 and slower lenses have never given me any problems, but my 135/2, 85/1.2, 50/1.2, and 24/1.4 have been a challenge, if they've even worked the first 2 or 3 tries.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »