July 29, 2014, 09:16:27 AM

Author Topic: Sharpening question for Photoshop experts  (Read 3208 times)

Atonegro

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • It's not the gear, it's the eye.
    • View Profile
Re: Sharpening question for Photoshop experts
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »
1 more vote for the high-pass sharpening.

When you want a stronger effect, it is most of the time better to keep the radius small, and then raise the contrast of the high-pass layer.
Or you can simply copy the layer untill you get the effect you want.

Instead of the high-pass filter, you also can use the stylize/emboss filter, it has a directional control that gives a different effect but works the same.
DCS 3c, D2000, 1DS, 1DS2, 1DS3, D800e and now waiting for the 1DS-X.....or a Nikon D4X...

English is not my native language, I learned  it only a few years ago. If you don't like my spelling, I will be happy to write it in Dutch for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »
This by far is the best sharpening method I have found to date. I created an action that resizes the image before it does it's thing. The great part about this method is it is edge sharpening and you can feather back at at the end if you over sharpen. My default amount 300. No two images are alike. Some can stay at 300 and others I have to feather back to 50.

When you open a RAW file and do your preliminary sharpening (capture sharpening) apply masking in the detail pallet which makes it even better as even at that stage you are not sharpening any noise the image may have. I wind up setting it at about 80 most of the time. Press the Option key on a MAC if you are trying this. Not sure which key for PC.       

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-really-smart-sharpening.html?search=edge+mask&bool=and

I made a tutorial which has my action you can download.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1099897

Using this method. 7D and 300L F4 IS. Click on it to see the full size.   

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:12:23 PM by digital paradise »

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »
So for my personal/hobby/web stuff I use PS and this. For mass edits I just use Lightroom's output sharpening on the export page. I do apply masking in the detail pallet in both PS and LR for all my my images. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »