Gear Talk > Lenses

25mm EF Pancake

(1/2) > >>

zim:
I have no empirical proof but I believe the 40mm pancake is a bit of a success for Canon. I certainly hear very few detractors on CR and it’s definitely on my list.
Do you think there is any chance they will make a 25mm pancake to go along with it? using the same shell as the 40 would it take much lens design?

Mt Spokane Photography:
Its easy to design and build a 40-60mm lens, but a 25mm is much tougher to build, particularl;y a FF version.  I'm sure lots of people would like to see one, but the price might be a lot higher.

Menace:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on February 23, 2013, 03:57:08 PM ---Its easy to design and build a 40-60mm lens, but a 25mm is much tougher to build, particularl;y a FF version.  I'm sure lots of people would like to see one, but the price might be a lot higher.

--- End quote ---

+1

Also, Canon wouldn't want their higher end WAs to loose sales to a pancake style lens. 40 pancake is cheap enough to find room in alot of camera kit bags as 'a nice to have lens' with decent quality.

My 2 cents.

Dianoda:
The lens already exists, sort of, in the form of the new 24mm/28mm f/2.8 IS lenses.  I don't think we'll see a relatively fast wide angle prime get smaller than these two lenses already are.

Mantanuska:
It would be pretty tough if not impossible to make a 25mm pancake lens on a camera system with a 44mm flange focal distance .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version