September 20, 2014, 12:23:00 PM

Author Topic: first trip to England any recommendations ?  (Read 7594 times)

tomscott

• 6D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
BU: 40D,17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

canon rumors FORUM

Re: first trip to England any recommendations ?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 01:19:17 PM »

markhbfindlay

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »
If you are visiting the London area / South East, someone's already mentioned Arundel and Leeds Castles (you can visit both by train - a car isn't necessary for these two). You could add to this the wonderful Bodiam Castle (easiest by car) in the middle of a lake. I just looked up the web sight http://www.sussexcastles.com/castles/ and it shows 11 castles in the twin counties (East and West Sussex) alone. Kent has many as well including the best known at Dover, Rochester, Leeds you know about already etc. Going north, not too far from London are Framlingham and Orford castles, both largely intact. West - don't forget Windsor, and in London of course there is the Tower.

Further afield, someone's already mentioned Wales, which has perhaps the largest and most complete castles, mostly built by the English to overlord the rebellious Welsh. Scotland has mainly smaller examples, built in a completely different style.

Essentially, the UK consists of 4 nations (in the case of Ireland, just a part of one), with England dominant because of its size, wealth and history of conquest. In recent years, a limited devolution has taken place, with Scotland and Wales having parliaments, which are still subordinate to the union parliament at Westminster. The subject is huge, with perhaps as many opinions as there are Brits! Most of our large cities are now highly multicultural and diverse. Some of these localities are also highly photogenic, and in London there are several Hindu and Sikh temples, some of which welcome visitors and afford excellent and photo opportunities.

I live in Brighton - the nearest castle is Bramber which has about 2 walls left but is great for picnics. You can get there on a city bus from Brighton (2a, I think, destination Steyning). Also Lewes Castle - Lewes itself is great to wander round and there are nice shops and cafes. There is lots to photograph in Brighton and Hove city including the Pavilion, the colourful Lanes, the North Laine and of course the sea front and pier.

Lens-wise I would take at least one wide-angle. I make do with the 17-40 along with my 24-105 and 70-300 L. As others have said, allow for the weather being variable! If you are going in summer, a light-weight waterproof is advisable, but we do have shops here if you find yourself without! Have a great visit whatever you decide on.

PS I have just seen Tom Scott's images. Beautiful!

On further thoughts, you don't say what time of year you are coming. Spring and autumn are probably the best, but summer and winter have their virtues. I assume you are coming from the US. We are actually a bit further north than pretty much all of the United States (except Alaska) being beyond the 50th parallel, so expect very long days in summer, especially in Scotland; conversely very short in winter. Tom Scott's image are taken in winter (well obviously with snow). In Cumbria (nearly Scotland!) the golden hour in winter would be most of the day. Even here in the South, the sun rises before 5am in June and sunset at around 9.30pm, and in winter daylight is strictly 8 till 4. By the way, feel free to get in touch if you are nearby mark.h.b.findlay@gmail.com and if it's practical I could show you a few places.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:45:19 PM by markhbfindlay »

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 01:49:32 PM »
take lots of cash!

MiceBass

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 02:09:38 PM »
I recommend the Findus lasagne and Tesco beefburgers, particularly as you can pick them up at very low cost of late.

Go to London. That's where's everything happens. Book a trip up The Shard in advance.

And I was born in England, grew up in England, live in central London and speak perfect BBC / RP English. That makes me British, if not European.

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »
Our voltage is 240, and the plugs are the size of a US compact. So, don't forget the US/UK adaptors. The Canon battery chargers as well as those of laptops etc should work on both voltages. Visit Oxford and Cambridge to see the mediaeval college buildings and the villages in the Cotswolds and Suffolk. It's only 50 minutes by train to the ancient university towns from London. Of my cameras, I would take the 7D with 15-85 and a 10-20/22 for a light package rather than my 5D III and 24-105, which would be the next choice. Tourists here don't carry kilos of cameras and lenses.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »
I can't believe nobody said 'weather sealing' yet - and I don't think any of the TS-E's can handle much rain. Having said that, I'd probably would want to bring a tilt-shift too.

Also, +1 for the Lake District. Then, spend a little research on whether you'd like to visit some stately homes, such as Blenheim Palace (I think Churchill was born there) or Castle Howard (site of tv drama 'Brideshead Revisited'). Not quite castles. To fully appreciate those and the like, you probably want to read Norman Thelwell's 'Some Damn Fool's Signed The Rubens Again'.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:34:57 PM by Rat »
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

jointdoc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 02:46:56 PM »
If you are going to be in London you may want to check out Hairy Goat photo tours.  I enjoyed the mystery tour where you meet a guide and walk around for a couple of hours and they will point out all sorts of interesting places that you would not normally go.  They have a website you can visit and respond to emails promptly.
Canon 5D MkII; Canon T2i; EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 40 f/2.8; EF-S 18-135; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon 2x Mk. III T.C.; EF 100 f/2.8 macro; EF 16-35 f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 02:46:56 PM »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
A little over a year ago, I went on holiday and spent 11 days in London and 5 days in Bath. Hadn't been to Europe in over 25 years. Absolutely loved it. It's on the other side of the world from Hawaii and was a very long trip. I didn't take my DSLR but only a P&S pocket Canon SX230. Still got some memorable keepsakes. Some places I enjoyed: Tower of London, great museums (such as V&A, British museum of natural history,etc), Portobello Rd market, Kew Botanical Garden, city of Bath and the Cotswold tour. Really want to go back and see more. This time I'll take my DSLR.

Have a wonderful trip and remember: Keep calm...and canon on ;)

PS-a few photos with the SX230.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:42:04 PM by serendipidy »
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Creek28

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 02:47:15 AM »
Im travelling from Australia so when i get there it will be Spring and will be hiring a car and driving most of the time except for when i'm in London. Im not too sure about taking the 70-200mm just because i know it will add a decent amount of weight but i don't want to get there and regret not having it. Unfortunately due to work commitments my time there is limited. Cant wait to get there Australia is too hot.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 10:53:36 AM »
Ovoid North Devon at all cost.. Its cold, wet and windy 364 1/2 days of the year...

Devon is not egg shaped.

I really hate autocorrect...

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 12:25:04 PM »
I would recommend the fish and chips!

If you require "Real" fresh Fish & Chips go to a "Chippie" / Fish & Chip Shop, most Restaurants and Pubs do not sell the real thing only a poor frozen substitute.

When I went to england 3-4 years ago, the fish and chips I had tasted no better than Long John Silver's here in the states, haha.  I'm sure there are better shops to be had tho in the UK... My wife wants to drag me over there again next year.. woo hoo.  Last time I was there, the locals said it was very dry as it only rained half the time we were there.  Bring rain coats for your camera... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 12:33:08 PM »
Problem for me is when I go to england, my wife is english (well now american), so she's all about hanging out with her family which cuts my time for sight seeing, haha.  Hopefully I'll have better luck next time... she said she wants to take me by Sherwood forest.   Robin hood here i come?
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

TommyLee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
GUY...........
    Edinbourough was fun at Tattoo time..

Is that anywhere near Edinburgh? (score extra points with the locals if you pronounce it "Ed-in-burr-uh")  ;)

----------

pretty good wine-spelling ...eh?
hope that didn't offend...the people were the sweetest....

TOM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »

Canon_Wisconsin

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 01:24:56 PM »
Ooh, lucky duck!! Yes, I recommend a wide angle, just given the landscape over there. Have fun! I own a Tokina wide angle, so haven't tried a Canon to recommend.

Oh, and see if you can visit the castle they show on "Downton Abbey"! :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:26:40 PM by Canon_Wisconsin »
5D Mark II with battery grip, Canon 135L f/2, Canon 85 f/1.8 USM, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 SP XR Di LD, Tokina AT-X Pro FX 16-28 f/2.8, Canon 50 f/1.8; 430 EX II Speedlite

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 04:47:42 AM »
GUY...........
    Edinbourough was fun at Tattoo time..

Is that anywhere near Edinburgh? (score extra points with the locals if you pronounce it "Ed-in-burr-uh")  ;)

----------

pretty good wine-spelling ...eh?
hope that didn't offend...the people were the sweetest....

TOM

Aha, wine! The truth is out! Glad you enjoyed the trip to Scotland.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 04:47:42 AM »