July 26, 2014, 12:00:12 PM

Author Topic: The Next EOS M? [CR1]  (Read 15919 times)

Lee Jay

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: The Next EOS M? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
There is NO demand for compact P&S and none for step-up cameras. They have been replaced by smart-phones.

As long as smartphone cameras are permanently stuck around 28mm, I and many others that are even slightly interested in photography will continue to use compact cameras instead.  I keep a compact in the same pocket as my Galaxy S3 and never use the camera on the phone.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »

noncho

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • NonchoILiev.com
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
I would consider it if:
They make it with good enough AF(I don't want miracles, just to be on par with other mirrorless)
Good quality small interesting primes - 22/2 is a good start, 12/2.8 and 85/2 would be great...

I don't need more from that system, small ugly viewfingers are not something that I need.

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »
An entry level EOS M system camera could be coming in early 2014 and sit in the sub $500 category.

The present EOS M is sub-entry level. What could Canon remove to make the camera more basic ???

Lol  :) cardboard box with a sensor?

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
It will never replace my DSLRs but as a light-weight, walk-around rig it has great potential. I'll be ordering the next model as soon as it's announced.

While shooting video the auto-focus of my Sony NEX-5n will keep a person in focus as they walk around a room, no problem :)

The Panasonic GH3 has better video specs than a 5D3 -- 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL) progressive recording
72Mbps (ALL-Intra) in MOV format ,for only $300.00 more that the rumored price of an EOS M2. Canon needs to wake up and see what the competition is delivering.

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »

As long as smartphone cameras are permanently stuck around 28mm, I and many others that are even slightly interested in photography will continue to use compact cameras instead.  I keep a compact in the same pocket as my Galaxy S3 and never use the camera on the phone.

People are lining up to pay big-bux for the Sony RX1 with a permanently attached 28mm f/2.0 lens ;)

My walk-around camera is a .7Mpx iPod Touch 4G :)

Lee Jay

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »

People are lining up to pay big-bux for the Sony RX1 with a permanently attached 28mm f/2.0 lens ;)

Which is only slightly less useless than a cell phone.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 02:55:27 PM »
Got my pitchfork ready. Any other 1st Generation EOS M owners want to join me in angrily marching on Canon's Headquarters?

>:(
I don't understand... Could you explain? This is not sarcasm or trolling.... I really don't understand and hope you can explain it to me.

Got my M back in January because I was hoping that the firmware would be able to fix up the autofocus, but turns out it couldn't. T_T
I understand now. If I were in your shoes I'd be mad too. I like the idea of mirrorless but stay away because of the focus problems.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 02:55:27 PM »

mdrewpix

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 03:41:27 PM »
It will never replace my DSLRs but as a light-weight, walk-around rig it has great potential. I'll be ordering the next model as soon as it's announced.

While shooting video the auto-focus of my Sony NEX-5n will keep a person in focus as they walk around a room, no problem :)

The Panasonic GH3 has better video specs than a 5D3 -- 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL) progressive recording
72Mbps (ALL-Intra) in MOV format ,for only $300.00 more that the rumored price of an EOS M2. Canon needs to wake up and see what the competition is delivering.

You missed my point a bit. I don't want autofocus for video. For the kinds of things I do, autofocus can often be more of a hindrance than a help. I'm glad your Sony can AF for you and if the M will AF with the kit lens in video mode, well, that's good. But I'll keep it shut off. Just works better for me that way.
And as far as the GH3 vs 5D III - unless you've shot with both of them and can back up your statement, your opinion is irrelevant. I'm a photographer for a daily newspaper and I own a 5D III. I shoot stills and video with it on a daily basis. If the GH3 truly is better, it must be a miraculous machine.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:51:02 PM by mdrewpix »

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »

... your opinion is irrelevant. I'm a photographer for a daily newspaper and I own a 5D III.

I have shot with a 5D3. As well as Sony Broadcast cameras, starting with the Betacam SP way-back in the 1980s.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:36:14 PM by c.d.embrey »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 04:27:32 PM »
Which is only slightly less useless than a cell phone.
What we REALLY need is the next Canon M to be a camera that makes phone calls... 8)

-PW

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »
Thank Goodness!  I was worried Canon was going to regurgitate the same noisy 18 mp sensor they have been using for years.  Here is to hoping it has good low ISO noise!!

CanNotYet

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »
An entry level EOS M system camera could be coming in early 2014 and sit in the sub $500 category.

The present EOS M is sub-entry level. What could Canon remove to make the camera more basic ???

Lol  :) cardboard box with a sensor?

No, but as I have suggested in another thread, a mirrorless EOS Rebel T4/1200D with EOS-M mount and EVF would do it. Easy money for Canon.

MacDarcy

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 05:02:26 PM »
<yawn> Wake me when the EOS-M gets FF. THEN I'll get excited.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 05:02:26 PM »

mdrewpix

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »

... your opinion is irrelevant. I'm a photographer for a daily newspaper and I own a 5D III.

I have shot with a 5D3. As well as Sony Broadcast cameras, starting with the Betacam SP way-back in the 1980s.

My apologies. I made a foolish assumption. But I stand by my statements.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 05:10:13 PM »

How about getting rid of the display and memory card and selling it as a wireless accessory to a smartphone or tablet :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 05:10:13 PM »