September 23, 2014, 10:23:04 AM

Author Topic: 6D as a Compliment to 5DMkiii  (Read 9136 times)

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
6D as a Compliment to 5DMkiii
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »
There has been a sort of love hate reaction toward the 6D. I feel that the 6D is the perfect complimentary camera to the 5Dmkiii. Many pro photographers need a second camera, and I believe the 6D is perfect if you use the 5Dm3 as your primary camera. Almost every feature is complimentary. The 5D lacks the fancy connectivity/gps capabilities not to mention the remote EOS software for your phone, the low light focusing ability. The 6D lacks superior focusing, video ability and a few others. All while maintaining similar IQ. I have not heard this discussed. If you own both, you have almost all you bases covered with duplication of the most important qualities. If only the 6D could be had for 1500$ or less - maybe in a few months, the ebay offers will appear.

canon rumors FORUM

6D as a Compliment to 5DMkiii
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: 6D as a Compliment to 5DMkiii
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:29:29 AM »
If I ever have to replace my 5DII for events it will be with a 6D.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »
I have not heard this discussed. If you own both, you have almost all you bases covered with duplication of the most important qualities. If only the 6D could be had for 1500$ or less - maybe in a few months, the ebay offers will appear.

I'm sure Canon wants it and designed it this way - another point is that the 6d focusing screens are exchangeable while the 5d3 is fixed (unlike 1dx btw). However the usability is quite different: joystick vs. multicontroller, right-hand control vs. both sides, single- vs. dual button layout. When I compared the 6d to the 5d3 in a shop I had trouble with the 5d3 control because I'm used to my 60d (= 6d control) - so I don't know how shooting both in parallel would be.

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »

However the usability is quite different: joystick vs. multicontroller, right-hand control vs. both sides, single- vs. dual button layout. When I compared the 6d to the 5d3 in a shop I had trouble with the 5d3 control because I'm used to my 60d (= 6d control) - so I don't know how shooting both in parallel would be.

Well maybe Canon didnt quite intent it that way, and my point was that this was overlooked - most likely their primary target was users wanting FF maybe coming from consumer grade DSLR. However you raise a valid point - for it to be a good second camera to the 5D3 its ui should be similar - and it couldnt be more different. However the 6D represent a modern approach, and I am sure that most of us tech savy users wont find this daunting.

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:40:54 PM »
I believe the 6D is perfect if you use the 5Dm3 as your primary camera.

I disagree. These 2 bodies are for very different ways of shooting. With 5D3 you focus in various places and then capture photos, whereas the 6D is a recomposing machine.

I would say that it makes most sense to have two bodies of the same kind if two bodies are needed for the same purpose.
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:46:01 PM »
If you have a 5D Mark III, there wouldn't really be any reason to buy or have a 6D, unless you shot with a backup camera and didn't want to spend the resources to buy another 5D Mark III.  Pretty much all the wedding photogs I know shoot with a backup camera, so this makes sense.  That's really the only reason I can see in owning both, and I don't think in the real world the 6D offers much anything over the 5D3.  However, I can see advantages of the 5D3 over the 6D.

The 6D market is primarily I'm guessing for those entering FF for the first time and who want to get serious about photography.  I look at the 6D as what the 5D2 was back in 2008.  So there's really no reason for 5D2 owners to complain about the lack of differences between the 6D and 5D2, because there weren't intended to be any.  The 6D probably has a better sensor and that's it.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 01:00:19 PM »
I would say that it makes most sense to have two bodies of the same kind if two bodies are needed for the same purpose.

I disagree and here is why. If you are extremely focused on one genre of photography what you are saying is true. However, most photogs even pros are interested in expanded function. So if you choose your second body so that it expands the functionality as well as offer backup and duplication then thats a good thing for many. I have see Canon photogs go out and buy a D800 + the wide angle nikon glass and use it on the same assignment with their canon gear because that combo offers some advantages.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 01:00:19 PM »

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »
If you have a 5D Mark III, there wouldn't really be any reason to buy or have a 6D, unless you shot with a backup camera and didn't want to spend the resources to buy another 5D Mark III.  Pretty much all the wedding photogs I know shoot with a backup camera, so this makes sense.  That's really the only reason I can see in owning both, and I don't think in the real world the 6D offers much anything over the 5D3.  However, I can see advantages of the 5D3 over the 6D

So you dont see any benefit in controlling your camera wirelessly or the GPS functionality (yes I know that you could spend a couple hundred dollars on a gps sensor for the 5D). The  6D is said to focus is said to work better in low light, and i have experienced this annoying characteristic in the 5D3.

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 01:08:38 PM »

I disagree and here is why. If you are extremely focused on one genre of photography what you are saying is true. However, most photogs even pros are interested in expanded function. So if you choose your second body so that it expands the functionality as well as offer backup and duplication then thats a good thing for many. I have see Canon photogs go out and buy a D800 + the wide angle nikon glass and use it on the same assignment with their canon gear because that combo offers some advantages.

I agree with you there completely. That is why I mentioned the need being for the same purpose. Personally I'd prefer the controls to be the same on bodies I switch constantly even if the bodies bring different features to the table.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:12:16 PM by Dick »
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »
If you have a 5D Mark III, there wouldn't really be any reason to buy or have a 6D, unless you shot with a backup camera and didn't want to spend the resources to buy another 5D Mark III.  Pretty much all the wedding photogs I know shoot with a backup camera, so this makes sense.  That's really the only reason I can see in owning both, and I don't think in the real world the 6D offers much anything over the 5D3.  However, I can see advantages of the 5D3 over the 6D

So you dont see any benefit in controlling your camera wirelessly or the GPS functionality (yes I know that you could spend a couple hundred dollars on a gps sensor for the 5D). The  6D is said to focus is said to work better in low light, and i have experienced this annoying characteristic in the 5D3.

Me personally, no and no.  I don't care to control anything wirelessly and I have no reason to use GPS and the 6D's focus is only better at center, and since I'm a sports photog, I don't care about center focus.  The 6D has no real-world improvements for real-world shooting over a 5D3.  In fact, for a sports photog like myself, the 6D is worse.  The 6D is not meant for me.  I think wedding photogs could really, really benefit from it, but in reality, if you already have a 5D3, you're not going to really notice it as much as if say, you were coming from a Rebel.  The sensor in the 6D has to be better than the 5D2 and we all probably already realize this.  I think the 6D makes for a great wedding, portrait, and landscape camera, but for me, not a sports camera and since I already own a 5D3, I have little reason to even consider a 6D.  In fact, the 1DX is actually the ultimate "everything" camera, and would whip both the 5D3 and 6D at wedding photography :).
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »
I'm sure that the 6D would be a nice complimentary body to the 5D3 for some users. Personally, I'd rather buy a second 5D3 or a used 1Ds3. I almost never use the center focus point, and aside from the additional 50 AF points that the 5D3 offers over the 6D, what makes those points so useful is how much of the frame they cover (53% horizontally).

The 6D's -3EV center point focusing ability is very impressive. Even so, I find the 5D3's low-light focusing ability to be astoundingly good, even when it's so dark outside that you can hardly see your feet :)

Another great perk of the 5D3/1Dx AF system is how many of its 61 AF points function as cross-type sensors, even with slow glass.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:21:46 PM by V8Beast »

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »
I was one to poo-poo the 6D but seeing how the prices have come down to a much more reasonable deal I've started looking at it again. I've read up on a wedding photog shooting with both a 5D3 and 6D and said the 6D worked fine, said it's AF worked very well in low light with the 85L, even the outer points were useful when needed. But naturally, for tracking moving subjects, especially such as the bride coming down the isle, the 5D3 would do much much better.
My concern though is with video work as well, and it's possible the 6D fails there (as well along with everything else to complain about with the 6D's nature) and has as much or worse moire than the 5DII, while the 5D3 is plain soft, even though sharpening works.

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:23:40 PM »
But naturally, for tracking moving subjects, especially such as the bride coming down the isle, the 5D3 would do much much better.

I guess I go to boring weddings.  Every one I've ever been to the bride slowly inches her way down the isle.  Hardly a test for any AF system I've ever used.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:23:40 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »
But naturally, for tracking moving subjects, especially such as the bride coming down the isle, the 5D3 would do much much better.

I guess I go to boring weddings.  Every one I've ever been to the bride slowly inches her way down the isle.  Hardly a test for any AF system I've ever used.

Same here, nothing but boring weddings for me. It would be much more exciting if the bride sprinted down the aisle and animated her jiggly bits ;D

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »
If you have a 5D Mark III, there wouldn't really be any reason to buy or have a 6D, unless you shot with a backup camera and didn't want to spend the resources to buy another 5D Mark III. 

+1

This was the reason I bought the 6D as a backup body to the 5d3. Similar IQ for less price but compromising on some of the excellent features of the 5d3.

The interface is quite different between the 5d3 and the 6d and it takes some time to get used to shooting with both cameras at an event.
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »