July 29, 2014, 01:16:50 AM

Author Topic: 6D as a Compliment to 5DMkiii  (Read 8657 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
Re: 6D as a Compliment to 5DMkiii
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »
I'm sure that the 6D would be a nice complimentary body to the 5D3 for some users. Personally, I'd rather buy a second 5D3 or a used 1Ds3. I almost never use the center focus point, and aside from the additional 50 AF points that the 5D3 offers over the 6D, what makes those points so useful is how much of the frame they cover (53% horizontally).

The 6D's -3EV center point focusing ability is very impressive. Even so, I find the 5D3's low-light focusing ability to be astoundingly good, even when it's so dark outside that you can hardly see your feet :)

Another great perk of the 5D3/1Dx AF system is how many of its 61 AF points function as cross-type sensors, even with slow glass.

The third shot is awesome
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »
I almost never use the center focus point, and aside from the additional 50 AF points that the 5D3 offers over the 6D, what makes those points so useful is how much of the frame they cover (53% horizontally).

Another great perk of the 5D3/1Dx AF system is how many of its 61 AF points function as cross-type sensors, even with slow glass.

I can appreciate when a shooter mentions they rarely use the center focus point. Within all of the photo forums that i peruse, all i hear is people crowing about how "they dont need" more than one focus point or "focus and recompose" is the best way to go, etc. Im still on the 7d/rebel level of bodies due to budget, and was appalled and eventually killed my 6d purchase mainly due the weak AF canon put in there.

I pretty much never use the central focus point, for my portrait, street style and even landscape work.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

Skirball

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 11:25:05 AM »
I almost never use the center focus point, and aside from the additional 50 AF points that the 5D3 offers over the 6D, what makes those points so useful is how much of the frame they cover (53% horizontally).

I can appreciate when a shooter mentions they rarely use the center focus point. Within all of the photo forums that i peruse, all i hear is people crowing about how "they dont need" more than one focus point or "focus and recompose" is the best way to go, etc. Im still on the 7d/rebel level of bodies due to budget, and was appalled and eventually killed my 6d purchase mainly due the weak AF canon put in there.

I pretty much never use the central focus point, for my portrait, street style and even landscape work.

Congratulations?

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 07:44:55 PM »
There has been a sort of love hate reaction toward the 6D. I feel that the 6D is the perfect complimentary camera to the 5Dmkiii. Many pro photographers need a second camera, and I believe the 6D is perfect if you use the 5Dm3 as your primary camera. Almost every feature is complimentary. The 5D lacks the fancy connectivity/gps capabilities not to mention the remote EOS software for your phone, the low light focusing ability. The 6D lacks superior focusing, video ability and a few others. All while maintaining similar IQ. I have not heard this discussed. If you own both, you have almost all you bases covered with duplication of the most important qualities. If only the 6D could be had for 1500$ or less - maybe in a few months, the ebay offers will appear.

I said before and I'm going to say it again: -  Most 6D owners were from Rebel(budget issue). Therefore, the high lighted features above are so dam important more than AF system. Who take picture @ -3EV?

I don't see $6800(1D X) body has "fancy connectivity/gps capabilities not to mention the remote EOS software for your phone"

I'm sure 5D III & 1D X owners will have no problem adding those accessories if they feel is needed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:52:57 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 07:54:32 PM »

Exactly!  Thank you!  Seems like a lot of people on here offer advice only because they have some damn personal connection to a particular lens or body.  The ultimate BACKUP camera is the SAME camera.  If you want to expand your capabilities, fine go ahead, but I highly doubt I'm looking to expand my capabilities when I pull for my backup camera when the football offensive drive is getting closer.  Maybe I should term it my SECOND camera so as to avoid confusion.  But, I want the SAME camera with only a shorter focal length because I don't have time to fiddle with different controls.  And oh my gosh if you are looking to expand your capabilities from a 5D Mark III, please do not buy a 6D.  Finally, I never use the center point either.  Why would I? 

There, I'm done.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Skirball

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 08:26:23 PM »
Finally, I never use the center point either.  Why would I? 

Just for amusement I thumbed through the first three pages of your Flickr stream to see what you shoot.  I found it amusing that all but maybe 2 photos had the subject smack dab in the center.

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:43 PM »
There has been a sort of love hate reaction toward the 6D. I feel that the 6D is the perfect complimentary camera to the 5Dmkiii. Many pro photographers need a second camera, and I believe the 6D is perfect if you use the 5Dm3 as your primary camera. Almost every feature is complimentary. The 5D lacks the fancy connectivity/gps capabilities not to mention the remote EOS software for your phone, the low light focusing ability. The 6D lacks superior focusing, video ability and a few others. All while maintaining similar IQ. I have not heard this discussed. If you own both, you have almost all you bases covered with duplication of the most important qualities. If only the 6D could be had for 1500$ or less - maybe in a few months, the ebay offers will appear.

I said before and I'm going to say it again: -  Most 6D owners were from Rebel(budget issue). Therefore, the high lighted features above are so dam important more than AF system. Who take picture @ -3EV?

I don't see $6800(1D X) body has "fancy connectivity/gps capabilities not to mention the remote EOS software for your phone"

I'm sure 5D III & 1D X owners will have no problem adding those accessories if they feel is needed.

I guess that is a fair assessment. The only reason I got the 6d is because I couldn't justify shelling out $$$ for another 5d3. The Wifi and the GPS are nice features but not enough in themselves to justify getting a 6d. I only bought the 6d because the IQ was at par with the 5d3, probably a tad cleaner.

IMHO, the wifi and GPS are sweeteners provided by Canon to help you to justify getting a 6d. Canon's current pricing is such that a "free" wifi and GPS feels like Christmas has arrived early - I don't know how much the 6d owners have used these features but for me it feels inconsequential.

BTW, the EOS app is plain dumb. If I wanted a remote shooting device, I'd probably get a Camranger.
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:43 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »

Just for amusement I thumbed through the first three pages of your Flickr stream to see what you shoot.  I found it amusing that all but maybe 2 photos had the subject smack dab in the center.

This is just the stupid comment I was expecting from you.  The faces are in focus right?  They're faces aren't in the center.  They are two AF points up the vertical set of AF points on my camera. 

In other words, you're wrong.  See ya.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

florianbieler.de

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • florianbieler.de photography
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 12:20:51 PM »

This is just the stupid comment I was expecting from you.  The faces are in focus right?  They're faces aren't in the center.  They are two AF points up the vertical set of AF points on my camera. 

No offense but this seems to be the right time to ask what the heck you shoot there anyway. Two 1DX, a 5D3 and all I see is completely random sports boredom. Are you a professional booked solely for this purpose? I'd sure use that gear for other stuff in my spare time.
EOS 5D Mark III · Canon 17-40 4.0L · Sigma 35 1.4 · Sigma 85 1.4 · Canon 70-200 4.0L IS · Tamron 150-600 5-6.3 VC
EOS M · Canon 22 2.0 · florianbieler.de

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »

YES !! we got your point, dont know why you have to shout it out - this is not a group decision, everyone here has a free choice. But obviously everyone does not have your shooting habits and quirks. I dont care to. I think if the 6D was more inexpensive it would make a great companion. You are making my point that you have to pay MORE to have the functionality that is already in the 6D (the gps and connectivity). By owning both the 5D and the 6D you have access to this extra functionality. I never take the same picture with both cameras at the same time. So I have more of an expanded feature set by using the 6D as a backup. The down side is where you are using both cameras for the same shoot and maybe want the advanced auto-focus on both, which is not a huge deal for me.  And yes I have encountered many many instances where the 5D3 wont focus because there isn't enough light. Having GPS is great for documentary and landscape photography. And I will repeat this again - you are free have your choice on this and so do others - there is no one right answer or consensus.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:10:05 PM by Wilmark »

Robert Welch

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »
I picked up a 6D originally as a camera for my wife, since it was a compact size and weight I thought she could handle it easily (she currently uses a 7D, the 6D is actually smaller). I also wanted to test it and see how I liked it as a 'second' camera to my 5D3. I must say, I like it a lot. I find I go to it often instead of the 5D3, it's very nimble and easy to handle. I just use the center focus sensor, and recompose when needed. I find that center sensor to be extremely reliable, and more sensitive in low light than the 5D3. The camera is a pleasure to use, not a replacement for the 5D3 obviously, but a nice and very usable camera. My biggest gripe with the camera would be it doesn't have dual card slots, I would prefer that.

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »

YES !! we got your point, dont know why you have to shout it out - this is not a group decision, everyone here has a free choice. But obviously everyone does not have your shooting habits and quirks. I dont care to. I think if the 6D was more inexpensive it would make a great companion. You are making my point that you have to pay MORE to have the functionality that is already in the 6D (the gps and connectivity). By owning both the 5D and the 6D you have access to this extra functionality. I never take the same picture with both cameras at the same time. So I have more of an expanded feature set by using the 6D as a backup. The down side is where you are using both cameras for the same shoot and maybe want the advanced auto-focus on both, which is not a huge deal for me.  And yes I have encountered many many instances where the 5D3 wont focus because there isn't enough light. Having GPS is great for documentary and landscape photography. And I will repeat this again - you are free have your choice on this and so do others - there is no one right answer or consensus.

1) 6D as a second camera is great;
2) no-one who can afford a second 5d3 is going to buy the 6d as a backup /second body;
3) it is better if you have the same system on both your cameras;
4) the gimmicks of wifi and GPS are neither a deal maker, neither a deal breaker. They are just sweeteners allowing you to justify your purchase.

BTW, I love my 6D but I'm afraid I'll sell it once I get my head around to buying the 1DX (after upgrading my lenses, of course).

Period!
Light is language!

Nancy Goodenough

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: 6D as a Complement to 5DMkiii
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
I got the 5D3 with the first ship and love it, esp for BIF. We were going to Colombia, South America for 3 weeks and I didn't want to carry the mkiii there for security reasons, so got the 6D to take there, as well as a backup to the mkiii.

The 6D was fabulous. Lighter and a little less obvious than the mkiii (I used gaffer's tape over the logos). Got some images in a dark market that I didn't expect. I didn't use the GPS because it drains the battery even when the camera is turned off. After the fact, I probably should have set it up and turned it on and off to capture where I was at the time. I even got a BIF with it, though not as effective as with the 5D3.

I had wanted the EOS-M as a backup and travel camera, but as we know it's horrible. The 6D worked great and I'm glad I got it for backup and this trip.

www.flickr.com/photos/nancygoodenough

I don't have much from Colombia up on flickr yet. Just back.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: 6D as a Complement to 5DMkiii
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »

2) no-one who can afford a second 5d3 is going to buy the 6d as a backup /second body;

I wont labor the point except to note that this is YOUR criteria. Photogs like to pretend that their preferences are somehow 'better' than those of others. We see this here in this post. If you want to see how unreasonable photographers want to make their 'opinions' into science check the post on "Crazy... go Nikon?".  Your point #2 is what I would be weary of .. "who can afford" Professional/Serious photography is about needs and business justification - buying all that you can afford (and that usually involves overspending) this is gearhead and fanboy talk! PERIOD!

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »

No offense but this seems to be the right time to ask what the heck you shoot there anyway. Two 1DX, a 5D3 and all I see is completely random sports boredom. Are you a professional booked solely for this purpose? I'd sure use that gear for other stuff in my spare time.

Ouch, I even found that harsh. At least he goes out and shoots, some of these trolls coming into CR don't even leave they're test chart rooms.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »