October 22, 2014, 08:40:55 AM

Author Topic: 6D as a Compliment to 5DMkiii  (Read 9417 times)

mustafa

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 6D as a Compliment to 5DMkiii
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »
Compliment/complement.  Similar word, but very different meanings.

Also isle/aisle, FWIW.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »

florianbieler.de

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • florianbieler.de photography
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
Well, in my opinion it is harsh to come at other members only because he owns and uses not one but two 1DX and a 5D3, but then on the other side he's got nothing to show but coverage of unknown sports events. With that gear it is not so special to do that and that provides no good base for a discussion about this camera detail crap whether to use the center point or one above, it probably makes absolutely no difference anyway.
EOS 5D Mark III · EF 16-35 4.0L IS · Σ 35 1.4 · Σ 85 1.4 · EF 70-200 4.0L IS · T 150-600 VC
EOS M · EF-M 22 2.0 · florianbieler.de

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »
Well, in my opinion it is harsh to come at other members only because he owns and uses not one but two 1DX and a 5D3, but then on the other side he's got nothing to show but coverage of unknown sports events. With that gear it is not so special to do that and that provides no good base for a discussion about this camera detail crap whether to use the center point or one above, it probably makes absolutely no difference anyway.

I'm not coming at anybody.  Do I think the 6D is a great camera?  Yes I do.  I think the 6D is a great camera.  I merely mentioned that the BEST compliment to a 5D3 is another 5D3.  Would the 6D make a great compliment?  Sure, why not, but IMO it's not the BEST compliment.  And I explained why, and I think I have valid points.  Not everyone agrees with me, but  And for the record if you read back, when I first stated this, I was questioned and told I was wrong.  But anyways, enough of that.

People on here will only personally attack you, and provide no photos of their own (not you by the way).  This is normal.

And, the thread isn't about center point AF.  It's about 6D as a compliment to the 5D3.  I stated my opinion that it wasn't the BEST compliment as the discussion was heading in that direction.  For a professional photographer yourself, I'd expect much better from you than personally attacking someone.  It is not my fault that I do sports photography mostly and also the only photos I choose to share.  I shoot a lot of other things, but I don't put them on my flickr account.  Sorry if I have nothing to "show for it" and I won't personally attack anyone.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:24:40 PM by bdunbar79 »
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 06:12:27 PM »
Finally, I never use the center point either.  Why would I? 

Just for amusement I thumbed through the first three pages of your Flickr stream to see what you shoot.  I found it amusing that all but maybe 2 photos had the subject smack dab in the center.

This is just the stupid comment I was expecting from you.  The faces are in focus right?  They're faces aren't in the center.  They are two AF points up the vertical set of AF points on my camera. 

In other words, you're wrong.  See ya.

No offense but this seems to be the right time to ask what the heck you shoot there anyway. Two 1DX, a 5D3 and all I see is completely random sports boredom. Are you a professional booked solely for this purpose? I'd sure use that gear for other stuff in my spare time.

Yes, and I make a lot of money doing it.  Thanks.

Well, a lot is subjective.  Many of my photos are used by the AP and lowly area newspapers.  I also do all of the 8 x 10's for the athletic hallways.  I know sports isn't always the most interesting or artistic type of photography, especially in crappy gyms where it is so difficult to get artsy.  I also shoot for the GLIAC and NCAC, but I'm getting long-winded.

I know my photos don't go big places, and sorry they are boring to you.  But it's what I'm told to do.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:31:51 PM by bdunbar79 »
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 06:13:57 PM »
Finally, I never use the center point either.  Why would I? 

Just for amusement I thumbed through the first three pages of your Flickr stream to see what you shoot.  I found it amusing that all but maybe 2 photos had the subject smack dab in the center.

This is just the stupid comment I was expecting from you.  The faces are in focus right?  They're faces aren't in the center.  They are two AF points up the vertical set of AF points on my camera. 

In other words, you're wrong.  See ya.

No offense but this seems to be the right time to ask what the heck you shoot there anyway. Two 1DX, a 5D3 and all I see is completely random sports boredom. Are you a professional booked solely for this purpose? I'd sure use that gear for other stuff in my spare time.

Ouch, I even found that harsh. At least he goes out and shoots, some of these trolls coming into CR don't even leave they're test chart rooms.

Thanks.  There are real people who go out in the trenches and shoot in tough situations.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:42:13 PM by bdunbar79 »
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »

2) no-one who can afford a second 5d3 is going to buy the 6d as a backup /second body;

I wont labor the point except to note that this is YOUR criteria. Photogs like to pretend that their preferences are somehow 'better' than those of others. We see this here in this post. If you want to see how unreasonable photographers want to make their 'opinions' into science check the post on "Crazy... go Nikon?".  Your point #2 is what I would be weary of .. "who can afford" Professional/Serious photography is about needs and business justification - buying all that you can afford (and that usually involves overspending) this is gearhead and fanboy talk! PERIOD!

If your budget is limited, get a 6D. If you can get another 5d3, get a another 5d3. That's all I'm saying.

For me affording is something I can buy that it within my reach without having to extend myself unnecessarily. Your definition may be different.

By your own logic though, what you wrote is YOUR criteria ... What's the whole point of getting oh so emotional over it?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:48:30 PM by J.R. »
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 09:53:38 PM »

It's equally, if not more harsh to flame someone for what he gets to shoot professionally (and get paid for it).

BTW, do you shoot sports?
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 09:53:38 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »

It's equally, if not more harsh to flame someone for what he gets to shoot professionally (and get paid for it).

BTW, do you shoot sports?

Thank you.

However J.R., there's no sense in trying to deal with these people.

It is puzzling how my comments were taken as an attack on someone somehow or other.  Secondly, then me, and my work, was attacked.  All for really no reason.  For stating an opinion (which was taken out of context).  Apparently I am reduced to random sports boredom.  To be clear though, obviously the photos are for public viewing.  This can be changed, however, if they are too boring.  Also, random sports boredom is a completely ignorant thing to say.  Why?  Tell that to the mother who had insufficient funds to come and watch her daughter swim and qualify to the NCAA meet.  The mother lived in California while the meet was in Canton, OH.  Because I was there photographing we were able to get her hundreds of photos. 

So yes, boring may be, but there's more to photography than being technically interesting to someone I don't even know.  These photos are for parents and players, and NOT to entertain YOU.  If you'd like it if I took my link down I will and to avoid future personal attacks I can also take down my signature file.

J.R., again, I should stop typing because dealing with these people is futile.  Thanks again though.

Back on topic, and as I stated earlier, I think the 6D is a great camera.  It probably does perform better than the 5D2 at both ends of the ISO scale.  Many friends have turned from Rebels to their first FF camera using the 6D.  My point was that I don't like using two different camera systems as main and backup. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 12:21:57 AM »
random sports boredom is a completely ignorant thing to say. 

+1. There is always a method to the madness and someone who has never shot sports will never know that. Too many people feel that getting a 1DX will automatically make you a pro-sports photographer. I wish life were that easy!

There is so much that can go wrong in a sports shoot because you don't get a second chance as you would with a landscape or a pretty model in a studio. The time to take the shot is infinitesimal and though the 1DX is exceptional, it takes considerable skill to get tack sharp shots.

If I were a pro-sports photographer or aspiring to be one, what would I stack my Flickr account with ... images of the Grand Canyon? Sheesh ...

Back on topic, if you are shooting landscapes or portraits, you'll be pretty safe with the 6D, even as a primary body - whether it will get you off the 5D3/1DX AF itch ... maybe, maybe not!
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 09:44:18 AM »
There has been a sort of love hate reaction toward the 6D. I feel that the 6D is the perfect complimentary camera to the 5Dmkiii. Many pro photographers need a second camera, and I believe the 6D is perfect if you use the 5Dm3 as your primary camera. Almost every feature is complimentary. The 5D lacks the fancy connectivity/gps capabilities not to mention the remote EOS software for your phone, the low light focusing ability. The 6D lacks superior focusing, video ability and a few others. All while maintaining similar IQ. I have not heard this discussed. If you own both, you have almost all you bases covered with duplication of the most important qualities. If only the 6D could be had for 1500$ or less - maybe in a few months, the ebay offers will appear.

I said before and I'm going to say it again: -  Most 6D owners were from Rebel(budget issue). Therefore, the high lighted features above are so dam important more than AF system. Who take picture @ -3EV?

I don't see $6800(1D X) body has "fancy connectivity/gps capabilities not to mention the remote EOS software for your phone"

I'm sure 5D III & 1D X owners will have no problem adding those accessories if they feel is needed.

YES !! we got your point, dont know why you have to shout it out - this is not a group decision, everyone here has a free choice. But obviously everyone does not have your shooting habits and quirks. I dont care to. I think if the 6D was more inexpensive it would make a great companion. You are making my point that you have to pay MORE to have the functionality that is already in the 6D (the gps and connectivity). By owning both the 5D and the 6D you have access to this extra functionality. I never take the same picture with both cameras at the same time. So I have more of an expanded feature set by using the 6D as a backup. The down side is where you are using both cameras for the same shoot and maybe want the advanced auto-focus on both, which is not a huge deal for me.  And yes I have encountered many many instances where the 5D3 wont focus because there isn't enough light. Having GPS is great for documentary and landscape photography. And I will repeat this again - you are free have your choice on this and so do others - there is no one right answer or consensus.

About getting a Powershot as 5D III backup since AF system is NOT important. AND Yes, it does come with GPS and others crappppppp
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »

2) no-one who can afford a second 5d3 is going to buy the 6d as a backup /second body;

I wont labor the point except to note that this is YOUR criteria. Photogs like to pretend that their preferences are somehow 'better' than those of others. We see this here in this post. If you want to see how unreasonable photographers want to make their 'opinions' into science check the post on "Crazy... go Nikon?".  Your point #2 is what I would be weary of .. "who can afford" Professional/Serious photography is about needs and business justification - buying all that you can afford (and that usually involves overspending) this is gearhead and fanboy talk! PERIOD!

If your budget is limited, get a 6D. If you can get another 5d3, get a another 5d3. That's all I'm saying.

For me affording is something I can buy that it within my reach without having to extend myself unnecessarily. Your definition may be different.

By your own logic though, what you wrote is YOUR criteria ... What's the whole point of getting oh so emotional over it?

That's funny, because that's the same criticism I'd give back to you two. 

I disagree with this idea that you only get a 6D if that's all you can afford, otherwise get a 5D3.  That's all I'm saying.  But as you say, people get all emotional over it.  Most the people on here seem to decide what camera they want, then they reverse engineer the reasons of why they NEED it.  Which is fine, if it doesn't put them out financially.  My problem is when they come on here and convince everyone else that they NEED to do the same, usually by exaggerating the lack of capabilities of everything below that camera.  So you get more noobies coming on here saying that they were going to by XXX camera but read online that they need to get the YYY.   Sorry for trying to give them more than one sided opinions.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
There has been a sort of love hate reaction toward the 6D. I feel that the 6D is the perfect complimentary camera to the 5Dmkiii. Many pro photographers need a second camera, and I believe the 6D is perfect if you use the 5Dm3 as your primary camera. Almost every feature is complimentary. The 5D lacks the fancy connectivity/gps capabilities not to mention the remote EOS software for your phone, the low light focusing ability. The 6D lacks superior focusing, video ability and a few others. All while maintaining similar IQ. I have not heard this discussed. If you own both, you have almost all you bases covered with duplication of the most important qualities. If only the 6D could be had for 1500$ or less - maybe in a few months, the ebay offers will appear.

In a similar boat.  I just rented a 6d to give it a test drive and see how it stood up against/with the mk3.  The 6d did impress me, many of the things I thought would be an issue weren't (that center point can AF in very dark conditions!!!).  I'm giving it a month and a half to make the final decision - if I can find one of those refurb mk3's for under $2500, I may go that route.  But for a backup body, I just can't justify the extra 1k+ it would cost to get one new or used, especially given how well the 6d performed.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »
If you have a 5D Mark III, there wouldn't really be any reason to buy or have a 6D, unless you shot with a backup camera and didn't want to spend the resources to buy another 5D Mark III.  Pretty much all the wedding photogs I know shoot with a backup camera, so this makes sense.  That's really the only reason I can see in owning both, and I don't think in the real world the 6D offers much anything over the 5D3.  However, I can see advantages of the 5D3 over the 6D.

The 6D market is primarily I'm guessing for those entering FF for the first time and who want to get serious about photography.  I look at the 6D as what the 5D2 was back in 2008.  So there's really no reason for 5D2 owners to complain about the lack of differences between the 6D and 5D2, because there weren't intended to be any.  The 6D probably has a better sensor and that's it.

backup/2nd bodies CAN have different uses and differet funtions.  The way this is worded, one must have the same lens on each because your doing the same with each.  I look at it a little differently...one body as a scalpel, and the other as a macheti.  This is how I see the 2 complimenting each other nicely.  A wider lens on the 6d, and a long lens on the 5d3...using each cam to its strengths.  Of course in a perfect world we'd all have 2 5d3's ad a 1dx too.  But this isn't a perfect world and sometimes compromises must be made. 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »
If you have a 5D Mark III, there wouldn't really be any reason to buy or have a 6D, unless you shot with a backup camera and didn't want to spend the resources to buy another 5D Mark III.  Pretty much all the wedding photogs I know shoot with a backup camera, so this makes sense.  That's really the only reason I can see in owning both, and I don't think in the real world the 6D offers much anything over the 5D3.  However, I can see advantages of the 5D3 over the 6D

So you dont see any benefit in controlling your camera wirelessly or the GPS functionality (yes I know that you could spend a couple hundred dollars on a gps sensor for the 5D). The  6D is said to focus is said to work better in low light, and i have experienced this annoying characteristic in the 5D3.

Me personally, no and no.  I don't care to control anything wirelessly and I have no reason to use GPS and the 6D's focus is only better at center, and since I'm a sports photog, I don't care about center focus.  The 6D has no real-world improvements for real-world shooting over a 5D3.  In fact, for a sports photog like myself, the 6D is worse.  The 6D is not meant for me.  I think wedding photogs could really, really benefit from it, but in reality, if you already have a 5D3, you're not going to really notice it as much as if say, you were coming from a Rebel.  The sensor in the 6D has to be better than the 5D2 and we all probably already realize this.  I think the 6D makes for a great wedding, portrait, and landscape camera, but for me, not a sports camera and since I already own a 5D3, I have little reason to even consider a 6D.  In fact, the 1DX is actually the ultimate "everything" camera, and would whip both the 5D3 and 6D at wedding photography :).

AHA....ok, yeah, if i were a sports shooter I would be on the exact same page...but...I am not a sports shooter!!!!

Edit: now after reading all this...uggggg  people are silly.  is the 5d3 the better camera, heck yeah it is.  But, with all things there are compromises that need to be made depending on level of income and expenses.  For me right now, a second mk3 is definitely an option, if I can find a refurb for $2500.  If not, then the 6d is the more reasonable choice because I would like my secondary body to be performing a different task than my main body.  Backup covering the wide and mid range, main covering the longer range/finer detail work.  For me, this is how I'd run the combo regardless of whether it was with 2 5d3's or a 5d3 and a 6d....

All that said, I am still not convinced either way!!!  LOL.  When I rented the 6d, I was basically trying to find reasons not to snag one.  But that little camera impressed me enough to make the decision much harder...so it all comes down to price point. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:13:51 PM by Chuck Alaimo »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »

That's funny, because that's the same criticism I'd give back to you two. 

I disagree with this idea that you only get a 6D if that's all you can afford, otherwise get a 5D3.  That's all I'm saying.  But as you say, people get all emotional over it.  Most the people on here seem to decide what camera they want, then they reverse engineer the reasons of why they NEED it.  Which is fine, if it doesn't put them out financially.  My problem is when they come on here and convince everyone else that they NEED to do the same, usually by exaggerating the lack of capabilities of everything below that camera.  So you get more noobies coming on here saying that they were going to by XXX camera but read online that they need to get the YYY.   Sorry for trying to give them more than one sided opinions.

Why would you buy the 6D if your budget allows for a 5D3?  ::)
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »