Gear Talk > Lenses

Super Tele Zoom Lens substitute for a spotting scope?

(1/3) > >>

Landtosea:
I am hoping that someone here may be able to give me some insight. I am an amateur photographer and avid long range firearm enthusiast. I need a spotting scope to see pencil diameter sized holes in paper targets at 300yds. To accomplish this with a spotting scope I am looking at minimum $1300 with my employee discount. I would much rather sink that money into a prime lens or converter and get dual purpose usage from my investment. I tested a 100-400 Canon prime at max zoom on a 7d body today in full sunlight and it was just capable of accomplishing this at 100, maybe 150yds in better conditions since there was a lot of mirage in the 90 degree heat on the beach where I tested. Does anyone who has had experience with Canon lenses above 500mm converted or not have a guess at which mm I may be able to do this? I was hoping that I could get a 2x for the 100-400, but I am not optimistic that this will get me past 200yds. Maybe a 500mm with the 2x?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

viggen61:

--- Quote from: Landtosea on February 24, 2013, 06:20:30 PM ---I am hoping that someone here may be able to give me some insight. I am an amateur photographer and avid long range firearm enthusiast. I need a spotting scope to see pencil diameter sized holes in paper targets at 300yds. To accomplish this with a spotting scope I am looking at minimum $1300 with my employee discount. I would much rather sink that money into a prime lens or converter and get dual purpose usage from my investment. I tested a 100-400 Canon prime at max zoom on a 7d body today in full sunlight and it was just capable of accomplishing this at 100, maybe 150yds in better conditions since there was a lot of mirage in the 90 degree heat on the beach where I tested. Does anyone who has had experience with Canon lenses above 500mm converted or not have a guess at which mm I may be able to do this? I was hoping that I could get a 2x for the 100-400, but I am not optimistic that this will get me past 200yds. Maybe a 500mm with the 2x?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

--- End quote ---

A rough comparison method is to consider each "X" of a binocular or spotting scope to be equivalent to 50mm. So, a 400mm lens is about an 8X spotting scope.

As for cost... While I see where you are going, the latest Canon 500mm f/4L II lists at $10,500! Even used, the prior generation is still selling over $6,500...

Mt Spokane Photography:
I presume you would use a adapter like this one They run $180 and would turn a 100-400mmL into a 10 - 40X spotting scope.
http://www.amazon.com/Lens2scope-10mm-Eyepiece-Canon-Angle/dp/B004GGBQAC

Landtosea:
Interesting Spokane, I was not even thinking about the fact that the camera eyepiece is not ideal for the purpose of using as a scope therefore needing an adapter. Thanks!

To clarify what I am looking for from the forum community is: those who have used super teles above 500mm, do you feel you see enough detail that you could discern a pencil sized hole in white paper?

Using viggen61's rough estimate formula I am assuming 600mm is going to be the minimum, but I would like some real world confirmation? If this is correct, I can add a 2x extender and the eyepiece adapter to the 100-400mm and be good in theory...

Plainsman:
Nikon used to make one - I mean Nikon made in Japan - for Nikon lenses only in the 80s and 90s I think.
Very high optical and mechanical quality.
When they - rarely - crop up they are very expensive.
The 180USD one illustrated for Canon would probably be made in China with maybe dubious optics!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version