April 23, 2014, 12:24:29 PM

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong???  (Read 5879 times)

babiesphotos

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
What am I doing wrong???
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:18:28 AM »
I get good pictures. But my percentage of unsharp ones is horrific. With all lenses.

I like shooting wide open, and I'm shooting active toddlers, so I know it's not easy. But still, I have 5D mark III, I am aware of shallow DOF, I am aware of field curvature, I am aware that shooting 1.8 on 1.4 lens may lead to focus issue (can't remember the term). Still, I don't get what am I doing wrong? Are kids that quick that 1/160 is so often smudged? I tried 1/500 and it did help some, but not completely. Do I shake the camera when firing? Any ideas?

Few example, 2 bad ones and one ok (all 1/160 50 1.4@1.4). Third shot is ok and is fired the same second when second shot (bad one) was fired... Quite often, it seems to me like there is nothing in focus, so I started thinking I'm shaking the camera, but when 1/500 didn't solve it, I got lost...

Help...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:25:45 AM by babiesphotos.ca »

canon rumors FORUM

What am I doing wrong???
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:18:28 AM »

Eli

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://500px.com/elindaire
Re: What am I doing wrong???
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:43:59 AM »
You using AI Servo?

Spooky

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:18:09 AM »
These all look like the focus is just in front of the face, not movement blurring, so shutter speed won't help. The 50 1.4 has very shallow depth of field and a my Canon one is a bit hit and miss when focussing close. I would recommend manual focus and just moving your body to achieve focus - not too easy with toddlers! Using f2  - f4 may help without gaining too much depth...
If you can, check the lens focus calibration using AFMA, if your body can do this.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 03:21:23 AM »
Your lens might need an AFMA or send it to Canon with your camera so they can fine-tune it.  I've done the same thing for my 28mm.

alexturton

• Rebel T5i
  • I shoot what i find interesting; nothing else
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 03:29:33 AM »
I had the same problem on my canon 50mm 1.4. AfMA (+20 for me) helped a lot but its still soft at 1.4. I might send me for calibration.

My hesitance is the last time I sent something to canon for calibration it came back with +8 off focus. So I might use an authorised third party dealer.
Bodies: 5d mk iii, 60d
Primes: 24L 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 ii, 8mm fisheye, lensbaby, 100L macro.
Zooms: 16-35 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 70-200 2.8 is ii, 120-400

Spooky

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:45:26 AM »
As Eli has said above, are you using 'one shot' and toddler or you moving?

celliottuk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:18 AM »
Try this
Try again. Actively listen and look. Do you get a beep?(Assuming you have that switched on), or a viewfinder indication that focus has been achieved?(Again, assuming you have that switched on) If not maybe there is insufficient light to allow the autofocus to fully lock
Try somewhere brighter..still out?
Reset the camera to factory defaults(You might have inadvertently set a weird setting without knowing it)
Select "P" mode
Shoot-still out?
Select AI servo, shoot, still out?
Pick a static subject, auto focus, shoot, still out?
Same static subject, manual focus, shoot. This should definitely be in focus, if not.....
If the auto focus is out, but the manual focus is in, try a different lens-that might help clarify if it's a lens or body problem
Get the camera calibrated

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:18 AM »

Schruminator

• Rebel SL1
  • I'm just kidding, seriously.
    • View Profile
    • M Schrum Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 05:03:51 AM »
On the first shot, it seems pretty clear to me that the focus is actually closer to the elbow of the child than the face. You can see that that part of the shirt looks perfectly in focus-- so I would agree with a previous poster that your lens is focusing in front of where it should be (assuming you're using the correct focus point, got a focus confirmation beep, etc etc).

Try adjusting the AFMA to see if this significantly improves your rate of keepers or look into having a 3rd party/Canon calibrate the lens and body combo.

5D III | 14 2.8 L | 24 1.4 II L | 35 1.4 L | 24-70 2.8 II L | 70-200 2.8 IS II L | 40 2.8 | 1.4x Mk. II T.C. | M Schrum Photography

Max Power

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 05:11:14 AM »
Using the center point AF?

My keepers went way up after I stopped using all the points...it's too unpredictable. Looks like it may be grabbing highlights on his sleeve instead of staying center focused like you composed.

M.ST

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 05:27:22 AM »
First try to select a faster shutter speed. But at an aperture from 1.4 you have only a small depth of field.

With many EF 50 mm 1.4 lenses there are problems. A lot of AF system donĀ“t work perfetly, if you put this lens on. Send in the lens for some adjustings.

There are also AF problems with some EF 24-70 2.8 II L and EF 17-40 4 L lenses (only if you select the longest focal lenght that is possible).

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 05:37:12 AM »
Use Ai Servo, Case 6 with -1 on tracking sensitivity and use one single point (the 5 vertical in the middle) with 4 point expansion. Highest drive mode to increase your chances. Forget any longer shutter than 1/500s . Use M mode and 1/1000s and f1.8 and auto ISO up to 6400 or 12800 if you're comfortable with the noise.

Buy Reikan Focal to calibrate your lens. I suspect it's off so the few shots you have in focus is actually when the AF misses and for example back focuses it actually hits because it's miscalibrated.

That'll get you the best tools, now all you need to is practice practice practice!
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

hendrik-sg

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 06:09:33 AM »
if you let the camera choose the focus point, it will choose use the one with the closest subject. on a face it will focus the nose not the eye.

i shoot portraits with one point focus and ai servo, if i dont have to recompose. maybe it helps to only let the camera choose cross-type points.

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »
if you let the camera choose the focus point, it will choose use the one with the closest subject. on a face it will focus the nose not the eye.

i shoot portraits with one point focus and ai servo, if i dont have to recompose. maybe it helps to only let the camera choose cross-type points.
+1, looking at those images given the position of the focus points I'd say that's the case. 5D3 allows the focus point to be easily be moved with the joystick so the total auto-selection modes are an abomination in my opinion.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »
I get good pictures. But my percentage of unsharp ones is horrific. With all lenses.

I like shooting wide open, and I'm shooting active toddlers, so I know it's not easy. But still, I have 5D mark III

Any ideas?

With ALL lenses??? The only idea that comes to mind is that you've got a lemon - the AF of the 5D3 is, usually, extremely reliable with most lenses. 

Try the lenses with a different body to isolate the problem. Given that your lenses are rendering unsharp images, I'd recommend you send the camera back to Canon and ask them to check. 
Light is language!

pato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 08:17:59 AM »
I would simply guess wrong focus point!
Which point(s) do light up when you look through the viewfinder and press the shutter halfway through?
For doing Portraits, you might want to exclusively use the center focus point, so always the center will be sharp.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 08:17:59 AM »