April 19, 2014, 05:05:19 AM

Author Topic: 7DII and D400 Specs  (Read 22873 times)

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: 7DII and D400 Specs
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »
Hahaha, sorry you all didn't appreciate my humor!!

Well....that is the kind of humor you expect from psychopaths, or maybe a sociopath...or someone with seriously questionable morality...

Either way...I personally, quite honestly, don't know a soul who would have found that funny...

Gee whiz, I'm perfectly sane...sheesh!!  I was taking extreme satire to the situation, because I thought it was called for.  No need to get overly harsh on me personally! 

And if you know a soul who's ever seen and liked one episode of "family guy" (not that I don't also find much of those episodes disturbing!)...then you do know a soul who might indeed find that funny!  Besides, the idea came to me from a horror suspense movie, "kiss the girls"...perhaps it came out before you were born...But anyway, get over it though, and lighten up a bit, ok?  Let's not be pronouncing people as immoral sociopaths and psychos, mr. armchair thought policeman (that's a reference to something even older, sorry if that also gets lost on any of you...)

"Kiss the Girls", by James Patterson, turned into a movie with Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd. I am plenty old enough to remember that. It involved a murderous, serial-killing rapist psycho...and, ironically...that was what came to mind when I read your comment. I think everyone here found your comment disturbing... For your own benefit, I'd take that to heart. If you choose not to, that's up to you...I'm certainly not the thought police.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 06:00:58 PM »

Well....that is the kind of humor you expect from psychopaths, or maybe a sociopath...or someone with seriously questionable morality...

Either way...I personally, quite honestly, don't know a soul who would have found that funny...

Gee whiz, I'm perfectly sane...sheesh!!  I was taking extreme satire to the situation, because I thought it was called for.  No need to get overly harsh on me personally! 

And if you know a soul who's ever seen and liked one episode of "family guy" (not that I don't also find much of those episodes disturbing!)...then you do know a soul who might indeed find that funny!  Besides, the idea came to me from a horror suspense movie, "kiss the girls"...perhaps it came out before you were born...But anyway, get over it though, and lighten up a bit, ok?  Let's not be pronouncing people as immoral sociopaths and psychos, mr. armchair thought policeman (that's a reference to something even older, sorry if that also gets lost on any of you...)

"Kiss the Girls", by James Patterson, turned into a movie with Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd. I am plenty old enough to remember that. It involved a murderous, serial-killing rapist psycho...and, ironically...that was what came to mind when I read your comment. I think everyone here found your comment disturbing... For your own benefit, I'd take that to heart. If you choose not to, that's up to you...I'm certainly not the thought police.

Hold on, you're saying I should take some piling on in a forum to heart?  No offense, but get the heck over yourself...I am here to learn, to share my enjoyment of photography.  I did apologize for those who didn't find what I said funny...but I only apologized for it once.  And that's all I'm going to do.  I'm not going to take some juvenile fault finding and personal piling on to heart...And you are not someone who is worthy of passing personal judgments on me...you don't know a thing about me.  And even if you did know me very well, you still wouldn't be worthy of judging me.

It was funny to me, and still is...I'm not a psycho...remotely...I have a vivid imagination...and I'm pretty sure James Patterson isn't a psycho either.  Yet his mind went there...my mind can go all kinds of places, and I'm even able to think about other things besides the minutia of camera and sensor tests...

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »

Hold on, you're saying I should take some piling on in a forum to heart?  No offense, but get the heck over yourself...I am here to learn, to share my enjoyment of photography.  I did apologize for those who didn't find what I said funny...but I only apologized for it once.  And that's all I'm going to do.  I'm not going to take some juvenile fault finding and personal piling on to heart...And you are not someone who is worthy of passing personal judgments on me...you don't know a thing about me.  And even if you did know me very well, you still wouldn't be worthy of judging me.

It was funny to me, and still is...I'm not a psycho...remotely...I have a vivid imagination...and I'm pretty sure James Patterson isn't a psycho either.  Yet his mind went there...my mind can go all kinds of places, and I'm even able to think about other things besides the minutia of camera and sensor tests...

Wasn't judging...just explaining how it came cross, really for your own benefit in terms of your reputation here. Seems you've decided how your going to respond...so I'll leave it at that.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 07:43:32 PM »
This was an interesting discussion!

Then it went a little south lol!

I loved my 7D and agreed the MK II lenses just shine. If Canon can clean up that read noise/low iso noise then the 45MP FF variant will be a winner.

The D7100 is no way by any means the flagship crop/DX (SD card with 1sec buffer ?? please who you trying to kid?!) So the D400 is inevitable - thankfully.

One thing I learnt going from a 5d3 to a D800 for studio - especially being as skeptical as I was initially - the resolving power and dynamic range/skin tones of that finely packed sensor is amazing. Needs only the best glass and technique and yes to get the most out of it you can't stop down too far - f5.6-f6.3 is peak, more then f8 and you see visible diffraction at 100%. However a little sharpening in post and that clears up nicely and the moment you scale down the image for A4 print its even more impressive.

My D4 - which gets used for everything but studio work - it is awesome in it's own right, however I am constantly wishing for more resolution and very interested to see what the evolution of the 24MP APS-C yields in terms of 48MP FF for the D4x.

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 01:33:41 AM »

Wasn't judging...just explaining how it came cross, really for your own benefit in terms of your reputation here. Seems you've decided how your going to respond...so I'll leave it at that.

You most definitely were, implying I was psychotic or sociopathic.  You are taking something meant as only a sarcastic, intentionally chauvenistic attempt at one-upsmanship on my part (which was also meant to be at least a little humorous, simple chest thumping), and intentionally raising it to a level it's not at.  Nobody sane is going to approach that post with the kind of hyper-puritanicalism that those who complained about it, have done...and thus judge a man's reputation on it.  That's just...Stalinistic...;D

What really happened was, you didn't think my contribution was worthy of your thread, so you and your friends feined amusement of it in a condescending manner which I did not appreciate.  How very passive aggressive of you.  Well played.  I responded in kind.  Just like in junior high school...It's really not more complicated than that, so let's not pretend it is.  And, you don't determine my reputation on here.  This isn't "mean girls", is it?  Maybe it is!

I do appreciate your attempt at advice.  I plan on holding my tongue on the brutal humor when I can, lest I be cast out of the church of pixelism.  I don't come here to make waves...and I respect the knowledge and appreciation of photography and its tools in their various incarnations, available on here...very much!

I look forward to anything else I can learn, and to more sharing about photography.

One thing I learnt going from a 5d3 to a D800 for studio - especially being as skeptical as I was initially - the resolving power and dynamic range/skin tones of that finely packed sensor is amazing. Needs only the best glass and technique and yes to get the most out of it you can't stop down too far - f5.6-f6.3 is peak, more then f8 and you see visible diffraction at 100%. However a little sharpening in post and that clears up nicely and the moment you scale down the image for A4 print its even more impressive.

My D4 - which gets used for everything but studio work - it is awesome in it's own right, however I am constantly wishing for more resolution and very interested to see what the evolution of the 24MP APS-C yields in terms of 48MP FF for the D4x.

What you found via the D800 regarding "the best glass", is no different than using a crop sensor on that glass, other than the outer third that's not in use.  I'm kind of tired of hearing about flesh tones and dynamic range.  You aren't going to see much dynamic range on flesh unless it is wet, and lit with harshly bright strobes.  Just look at your curve and tell me how much of its area is occupied by lit flesh...not much.

That said, I'm sure your work looks great and you're making good use of the brilliantly mind-blowing D800.

Regarding the D4...did you have any problems with the green tint that a lot of people complained about last year?

As Nikons go, the older 12mp D3s and D700 are what appeal to me.  But not enough to buy into Nikon.  I did have a tiny P7000 last year...I liked it a lot.  Much better for less money, than a G12.

If someone would put the D3s or even the D4 sensor in a Canon body, (and it worked...haha) I would buy it in a heartbeat.  The D600 and 800 sensors don't appeal to me at all.  To each their own though, of course.  They do seem to work well for their intended purpose.

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2013, 02:01:50 AM »
Sorry the only reason i chimed in was to bring in the correlation of higher megapixel aps-c not necessarily being a bad thing, if anything its a testing ground for the next set off FF sensors for each manufacturer.

The D800 has the same density as a 18 MP APS-C and its performance is stellar. The new generation 24MP aps-c's dont seem too bad either, but will require refined glass much like the 7D did.

Green tint on the D4 no, even my left focus array wasn't a problem.

D800 on the other hand, I got re-calibrated for left focus points being out and I got the workshop to custom calibrate the LCD (definitely green). Luckily in the city I live in we have a Nikon repair shop so its a same day procedure.

I personally dislike the size of the D600 - the camera and the images are nice but I can't physically hold the unit cause its just too darn small.

But that could be said about all Nikon bodies as I find the D4 just a touch too small in comparison to my old 1DX - that grip was perfect for my hand.

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2013, 02:06:33 AM »
Hahaha, sorry you all didn't appreciate my humor!!  And haven't you seen the lens chess set?
I know you meant it in good humor but I think you should have left your bet at "Whoever's lens loses, has to buy the winner a chess set made of all the Nikon and Canon supertelephoto lenses." whatever you said after that can easily be misunderstood especially on a forum. Just saying, no offense intened.

I did not know about the Canon/Nikon Chess Set, until I read your post and did a google search ... I thought someone actually sells chess sets made with fake Canon/Nikon lens models ... I got excited and serched teh net to buy a set for myself ... only to be disappointed that it was some Lens Rental guys fun project using real lenses.

By the way does anyone know if there really is a chess set made out of fake canon/nikon lens models? it would be fun souvenir to have.

But coming to the topic of 7D II and D400 specs ... regardless of which camera is better I will buy the buy the D400 ... because, after getting the 5D MK III, no crop sensor camera seems to satisfy the image quality, low light performance I've come to enjoy in the last 7 months ... but I wanted a one lens solution to those times when I don't want to carry my 5DMK III and all my lenses (especially during vacations, hiking, climbing sink holes etc) so I sold my 60D and got and ordered a brand new Nikon 18-300 VR lens and a refurbished D7000 (together for only US$1300 ... expecting it to be delivered on Sunday morning) ... I only bought the Nikon lens because of its zoom range and the fact that it currently does not have a competitor with the same or better zoom range in that package/price (the 18-300 is on sale now for just $696) ... anyway, I plan to dump the D7000 when/if the D400 releases as I like the feel of D300s and I am assuming that the D400 will have the same build quality ... but if D400 does not get produced than I will get the D7100 (when it is on sale ... maybe Christmas time?) ... the only 2 reasons why I would buy 7D MKII are:

1. Canon releases EF-S 18-300+ or an affordable and not so huge EF 28-300 lens
2. If 7D MKII is a APS-H sensor camera
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:30:31 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2013, 02:06:33 AM »

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2013, 09:37:44 AM »
FF has spoiled me but I do miss the reach occasionally.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2013, 10:28:43 AM »
FF has spoiled me but I do miss the reach occasionally.
+1
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 11:05:25 AM »

Aw c'mon J ... Carl was being  funny... and I did not see him meaning any offense... I laughed at his post  ;D It's great having you both on the Forum!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:08:00 AM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
Sorry the only reason i chimed in was to bring in the correlation of higher megapixel aps-c not necessarily being a bad thing, if anything its a testing ground for the next set off FF sensors for each manufacturer.

The D800 has the same density as a 18 MP APS-C and its performance is stellar. The new generation 24MP aps-c's dont seem too bad either, but will require refined glass much like the 7D did.

Green tint on the D4 no, even my left focus array wasn't a problem.

D800 on the other hand, I got re-calibrated for left focus points being out and I got the workshop to custom calibrate the LCD (definitely green). Luckily in the city I live in we have a Nikon repair shop so its a same day procedure.

I personally dislike the size of the D600 - the camera and the images are nice but I can't physically hold the unit cause its just too darn small.

But that could be said about all Nikon bodies as I find the D4 just a touch too small in comparison to my old 1DX - that grip was perfect for my hand.

No reason at all to be sorry! 

Regarding the green tint of the LCD, what caused that?

It's interesting you mention the size of the Nikon D600 being too small.  I didn't realize it was much different than the 800.  That said, I find the 800 (and 700) too big...or rather, the reach out to the shutter button, seems like it is perched out on a ledge a long ways ahead of the front of, say a 50mm lens.  It's probably not actually that far, but it feels it.  I wear a size 10 glove, my fingers aren't overly stubby, but it does feel like you need 6 inch long fingers to get the right grip, on Nikon's grip.  By contrast, all of Canon's bodies feel like the same fit in my hand, going from XXD series to 1 series.  I notice the increased size and weight of the body, but the grip feels the same.  I enjoy the grip, and it's odd how after a while, it feels like you're not holding anything in your hand.

I also think the size of the control dial on the back of the D800 is silly.  It's not much bigger than my finger...at least Canon's dial is the right size.  I wouldn't want to get used to that.

Nikon seem committed to these ergonomics, so I don't see myself ever using one.  I also don't like their lens lineup as much as Canon's, nor do I like the fact that many of their non-super-telephoto lenses, are priced above a similar lens offered from Canon, yet are sometimes an older design, that can even be inferior in some ways.  The Nikon 135 f/2, is the best example.

All of that said, I still like what Nikon was able to achieve with the D800.  When it first came out, I was trying to decide how much I wanted one, and if I was willing to sell my Canon lenses.  It turns out the choice to stay with Canon wasn't very difficult at all, for me.  For anyone (like yourself) who likes the D800 more than Canon, I can certainly understand why you would switch!  It sounds like you're putting it to good use...no doubt better use than I'm able to do with my photography at the present.  I don't blame Canon for this at all though, it's only myself.

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 03:21:27 PM »

Aw c'mon J ... Carl was being  funny... and I did not see him meaning any offense... I laughed at his post  ;D It's great having you both on the Forum!

Thanks very much K-amps!  I'm glad you enjoyed it!  And I still wish I had my Krell amp... :'(  I've never been happier doing something, than listening to good music on a good system.  Even photography isn't nearly as fun, but I feel at least I am being productive and creating something...so that makes up for slightly less enjoyment.  Taking pictures is certainly very rewarding and enjoyable in its own right.  Listening to music is pure pleasure, pure leisure, so I guess it's not a fair comparison...haha.  And cable tv takes up too much of my leisure time now...but I do enjoy it too!  I've never learned so much about all aspects of life, culture, history, science, and current events...as from watching tv...hahaha.  I try to avoid most of the "reality tv" though! 

This canonrumors website is about as informative as anything else I've found, regarding camera equipment...still can't believe how many serious professionals (much moreso than myself) are on here...and I'm glad to see them.  Wisdom and knowledge from experience, given freely, is a blessing! 

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »

Thanks very much K-amps!  I'm glad you enjoyed it!  And I still wish I had my Krell amp... :'(  I've never been happier doing something, than listening to good music on a good system.  Even photography isn't nearly as fun, but I feel at least I am being productive and creating something...so that makes up for slightly less enjoyment.  Taking pictures is certainly very rewarding and enjoyable in its own right.  Listening to music is pure pleasure, pure leisure, so I guess it's not a fair comparison...haha.  And cable tv takes up too much of my leisure time now...but I do enjoy it too!  I've never learned so much about all aspects of life, culture, history, science, and current events...as from watching tv...hahaha.  I try to avoid most of the "reality tv" though! 

This canonrumors website is about as informative as anything else I've found, regarding camera equipment...still can't believe how many serious professionals (much moreso than myself) are on here...and I'm glad to see them.  Wisdom and knowledge from experience, given freely, is a blessing!

You know what they say about Krells (And Canon Chess Sets) it is better to have owned one and lost it all on a stupid bet then never to have one in the first place.  ;)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »

You know what they say about Krells (And Canon Chess Sets) it is better to have owned one and lost it all on a stupid bet then never to have one in the first place.  ;)

Good point!  ;D

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »

By the way does anyone know if there really is a chess set made out of fake canon/nikon lens models? it would be fun souvenir to have.

I was referring to the real chess set, my attempt at humor.  The real chess set is so outrageous, not even Warren Buffet's secretary can own one!

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/supertelephoto/lensrentals-chess-set

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »