July 28, 2014, 08:47:01 PM

Author Topic: Yosemite in the wintertime  (Read 5155 times)

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Yosemite in the wintertime
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 01:27:46 PM »
Lovely shots. Personally, I shy away from the 70-200 2.8II...leaving the hype aside, I find its weight intolerable. I travel light and you can take excellent landscape shots with the 24-105L or even the lowly 50 f1.4. It is all in the creativeness of the photographer. Cheers!
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 01:27:46 PM »

Tioga Designs

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • Tioga Designs
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »
@ CarlTN:  "24 hours huh?  Good to know.  They need to have some 24 hour parks over here.  Of course, my state isn't $100+ billion in debt yet...like CA is.  Not sure how the funding is divided up regarding Yosemite, though."

Yosemite is a National Park - not a California State park - so I don't think California's budget problems are having any direct impact on the park. How the federal government's budget problems will affect the National Park system remains to be seen. Also, I might be mistaken, but although Yosemite is "open" 24 hours a day for those who are staying/camping there, I'm not sure about the ability of someone to enter the park after hours and leave during the night; that is, I'm not sure that there is an entrance booth that is manned throughout the night, or that there's an alternative place to check in during the night. However, if you're checked in during the day, you can wander around freely throughout the night (subject to the bears, of course!).

You should have no problem entering after hours once the entrance booth is closed. It just becomes an honor system and you pay on your way out.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »
Tioga and Pugshot, excellent advice and info.  Oh, and don't stay in the cabins unless you want to die, right? 

Hiking 15 miles with all of your gear, eh?  Are you saying the only way I could get your respect, is by strapping two 400 f/2.8's to my back, making friends with hungry amorous bears by letting them play with the IS switches...and then scaling straight up Half Dome's "wall" at night...then using a camera on each lens to simultaneously shoot a 360 degree night sky/terrestrial panorama from 1000 feet above the valley floor...in a gentle breeze...while suspending the gigapans only to ropes and hoping it all works out...and then somehow get it printed on the cover of National Geographic the next day...then attend the after-party at The Skywalker Ranch?  Ok, I'll give it a go!  :P

Dantana

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
I did notice that about 80% of photographers were walking around with a 70-200 F2.8 (canon/nikon/tamron/etc.). For the life of me, I could not figure this out! For my entire trip, I was constantly reaching for my 14mm uwa lens. If that was not on the camera, the 50mm was. I only put my 70-200mm on my camera 3 times over the course of the trip.

And when I look at your photos, what do I see? Uncorrected lens distortion.

Where does lens distortion come from?

UWA lenses that people don't know how to use.

Your photos are a great example of why lots of people don't use wide angle lenses in Yosemite Valley.

Best lens for the Yosemite Valley is arguably 24-70. It would be 24-105 except that the 24-105 is rubbish wider than 28mm.

That's interesting. I see a couple beautiful shots.

6D, 20 2.8, 35 2.0, 40 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 24-105 4L, Speedlite 430EX II, Rokinon 14 2.8

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 09:02:28 PM »
Tioga and Pugshot, excellent advice and info.  Oh, and don't stay in the cabins unless you want to die, right? 

Hiking 15 miles with all of your gear, eh?  Are you saying the only way I could get your respect, is by strapping two 400 f/2.8's to my back, making friends with hungry amorous bears by letting them play with the IS switches...and then scaling straight up Half Dome's "wall" at night...then using a camera on each lens to simultaneously shoot a 360 degree night sky/terrestrial panorama from 1000 feet above the valley floor...in a gentle breeze...while suspending the gigapans only to ropes and hoping it all works out...and then somehow get it printed on the cover of National Geographic the next day...then attend the after-party at The Skywalker Ranch?  Ok, I'll give it a go!  :P

I actually camped when I visited Yosemite. The low was around 20 degrees so not bad at all. Curry Village in Yosemite has heated tent cabins which is a good route if you are on a budget but dont want to freeze. The bears are not a problem at all and dont bother you if you dont leave your food in the car/tent/cabins. The one thing I very much fear when I am there are the rock slides. A ranger I talked to said that on average, they have a rock slide every day during the summer months.

Haha you would definitely earn my respect that way, but you have already earned it just by responding to my post and helping me out! I do really appreciate all those who responded to this post. Anyhow, I hiked so much because I was only in Yosemite for 2 nights and wanted to see it all. I also arrived by bus so I had to walk/hike everywhere unless the free Yosemite Valley bus took me where I needed to go.

But hey if you do make friends with hungry amorous bears, definitely take a picture. I would love too see that!

Here are a couple more pictures if anyone is interested. Feel free to critique them if you want!

Yosemite9-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Yosemite8-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Yosemite10-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Yosemite7-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »
Lovely shots. Personally, I shy away from the 70-200 2.8II...leaving the hype aside, I find its weight intolerable. I travel light and you can take excellent landscape shots with the 24-105L or even the lowly 50 f1.4. It is all in the creativeness of the photographer. Cheers!

Thanks for the input! I agree that a lens that heavy is going to make getting around considerably more difficult. At times, I wished I just threw the 40mm pancake on and left the lenses and tripod at my campsite (locked up of course). I have not had the chance to use the 24-105L, but from what it sounds like, it makes a great landscape lens. Would you recommend bringing that lens instead of various primes in that focal range?

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »
Niterider,

Great photos! Wish I was there :)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »

RomanRacela

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 09:26:28 PM »
Very, very nice shots! I was there too over the weekend showing my friends around so I wasn't really able to shoot a lot.

I was also there a few days before Christmas when there was a lot of snow. I wished there was more snow over the weekend, but I guess Global Warming has changed that!

I only used 1 lens the entire weekend: TS-E 24mm 3.5L II. I didn't even bother using other lenses. I think those who were shooting with 70-200mm were there for the Fire Falls near El Cap.

Here's one of my shots from the weekend.

I just came back from Yosemite. I have to admit that February is now my favorite month to visit that region. The valley floor is still a bit busy, but the hiking trails are pretty quiet. I was not able to see the Horsetail Fall's Fire Fall due to it being cloudy when I went to watch it. There were well over a hundred photographers there waiting to catch a shot though! Anyhow if you have the option too, I would highly recommend staying a weekend in Yosemite during the month of February. Just don't wear tennis shoes!!!

I did notice that about 80% of photographers were walking around with a 70-200 F2.8 (canon/nikon/tamron/etc.). For the life of me, I could not figure this out! For my entire trip, I was constantly reaching for my 14mm uwa lens. If that was not on the camera, the 50mm was. I only put my 70-200mm on my camera 3 times over the course of the trip.

I do understand wanting that focal range for the waterfalls when observing from a distance, but these lenses were everywhere. Does anyone know why everyone in Yosemite has that lens attached to their camera 24/7???

5D Mk3

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 10:03:04 PM »

The places that have not been photographed like crazy are definitely the places you have to hike miles to get to. I did not see a single photographer when I hiked up to Nevada Falls or going to the top of upper Yosemite falls, but saw hundreds around the valley floor. After hiking 15 miles one day with all my camera equipment, snow gear, and water & food on my back, I dont blame most photographers for sticking on the valley floor.

That's only because it is winter and for the most part, those trails are usually considered "closed" at that time of year.

After hiking 15 miles one day with all my camera equipment, snow gear, and water & food on my back, I dont blame most photographers for sticking on the valley floor.

That was the day you hiked to the top of Yosemite Falls? Consider that you did this in cold weather and that people do the same amount of walking, carrying the same amount of gear, in summer.

At least for me, 15 miles would only be 5 hours of hiking during good weather in Yosemite.

And when I look at your photos, what do I see? Uncorrected lens distortion.

Where does lens distortion come from?

UWA lenses that people don't know how to use.

Your photos are a great example of why lots of people don't use wide angle lenses in Yosemite Valley.

Best lens for the Yosemite Valley is arguably 24-70. It would be 24-105 except that the 24-105 is rubbish wider than 28mm.

I would happily argue that the best lens for Yosemite is a 24 or 17mm tilt shift lens, but everyone has their preference. The distortion is corrected for as best I could (using a lens profile), but that is definitely the downfall of the Samyang 14mm. I am sure I could have done a better job correcting the distortion, but I have not figured out how. If you have any advice feel free to share!

Buy yourself a copy of "DxO Optics 8".
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:06:26 AM by dilbert »

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »

[/quote]

Thanks for the input! I agree that a lens that heavy is going to make getting around considerably more difficult. At times, I wished I just threw the 40mm pancake on and left the lenses and tripod at my campsite (locked up of course). I have not had the chance to use the 24-105L, but from what it sounds like, it makes a great landscape lens. Would you recommend bringing that lens instead of various primes in that focal range?
[/quote]

I find 24-105L to be great for landscape - just take a couple of filters and a sturdy tripod.

Cheers
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Omar H

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »
There's too much green in those pictures, you must have a bad lens...oh wait! it's the reflection of my face on the monitor as I'm so green with envy at such wonderful pictures!  8)

Love them! Congratulations, what a beautiful place to visit!

Here are a couple more pictures if anyone is interested. Feel free to critique them if you want!

Yosemite9-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Yosemite8-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Yosemite10-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr

Yosemite7-1 by Live By The Night, on Flickr
[/quote]

MacroBug

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 11:53:33 PM »
I agree with the OP that winter is the best time to visit Yosemite. Significantly less crowded, especially if snow is forecast (it's great to have 4WD). Here are a few pics from our last trip when we arrived just after a big storm. I hope you enjoy. Taken wih a 5DII and 24-105L.

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 12:29:36 AM »
Very, very nice shots! I was there too over the weekend showing my friends around so I wasn't really able to shoot a lot.

I was also there a few days before Christmas when there was a lot of snow. I wished there was more snow over the weekend, but I guess Global Warming has changed that!

I only used 1 lens the entire weekend: TS-E 24mm 3.5L II. I didn't even bother using other lenses. I think those who were shooting with 70-200mm were there for the Fire Falls near El Cap.

Wonderful picture! The 24mm II TS-E is my dream lens. I too was hoping for more snow, but at least it was not as bad as last year. Snow did not last on the valley floor for very long if it did snow (from what I heard from the people who worked there).

I agree with the OP that winter is the best time to visit Yosemite. Significantly less crowded, especially if snow is forecast (it's great to have 4WD).

You pictures make me want to go back after the next snowfall! By the way, those are some beautiful pictures. Honestly, I just don't know if I would visit in the summer in the near future. Winter was so peaceful with the buses never filling up, the campground was quiet after 8:00pm, and the short line for the food court.

I find 24-105L to be great for landscape - just take a couple of filters and a sturdy tripod.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice Menace! I will definitely look into picking up a 24-105L. Plus the 77mm filter threads keep me from having to buy new filters.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 12:29:36 AM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 01:49:38 AM »
I am envious of you all!

I mentioned the cabins, because of those people who caught the haunta virus last year (at least I think that's what it was).

Niterider, those are lovely, but the bottom one has too much sky, which is too featureless...I would have cropped it off a bit and changed the proportion to 16:9, or 2.2:1, or something.  Not trying to nitpick, though.  Kind of hard to not take a great picture in a place like this.

If I take a picture of an amorous bear, that would not be a pretty sight!

Marcobug, I like your top one the best, but both are terrific.  The snow on the trees is beautiful.

grant862

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 02:29:46 AM »
off the beaten track...a few shots from New Years up by Badger Pass w/ 5dc + 24-105
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:37:04 AM by grant862 »
5Dc, 24-105, 50 1.8, 430EXii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 02:29:46 AM »