October 20, 2014, 05:56:32 AM

Author Topic: Review - Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT  (Read 22559 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Review - Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »
Thanks guys, sorry about that error, you're right, the 7D is pre-2012 and not compatible with the full feature group mode. We'll get that fixed up in the review ASAP. So what does that make compatible? 5D3, 1DX, 6D right?

1D X, 5DIII, 6D, and T4i/650D are compatible with 5 groups/HSS/etc.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:24 AM »
Whoops, common mistake at the top of the article.

Canon light triggering is NOT an infrared system.

It uses visible light pretriggering.

The red panel on your flash is for auto-focus assist.
Explain the ST-E2 then.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

dragosdor

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
So since when is 7d a 2012 camera? Or, did it gain compatibility through the 2.0 firmware? I am very interested since I will want to buy a 7d if it turns out is fully compatible.

Welcome!

The review is incorrect.  The 7D has the same limitations as any other pre-2012 camera for RF triggering, even with the v2 firmware - one stop lower X-sync, no group flash, and no HSS.  However, the 650D/T4i is a 2012 camera (and should have been on Justin's list in place of the 7D), and is 'fully compatible' with the 600EX-RT without those limitations.

Thanks guys, sorry about that error, you're right, the 7D is pre-2012 and not compatible with the full feature group mode. We'll get that fixed up in the review ASAP. So what does that make compatible? 5D3, 1DX, 6D right?

Thanks for clarification! You can add the T4i to the list of compatible cameras but myself I will keep my 6d order and enjoy 2 FF cameras. T4i is just not a camera I can pull out of my bag at my kind of events :)

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »

Explain the ST-E2 then.

Canon does list this function as an "optical" triggering system, though I'm curious myself how the ST-E2 (or the ST-E3-RT for that matter) work in this regard... or maybe I'm not that curious because we're living in a radio triggered world now!

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »

Explain the ST-E2 then.

Canon does list this function as an "optical" triggering system, though I'm curious myself how the ST-E2 (or the ST-E3-RT for that matter) work in this regard... or maybe I'm not that curious because we're living in a radio triggered world now!
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/speedlite_flash/speedlite_transmitter_ST-E2/

Transmission type: Infra-red
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »
Never had any problem with PocketWizards and Canon flashes but then I don't life in an FCC area. I life in an EC area were different frequencies are used to communicate with the PocketWizards.

In short it was an problem caused by Canon who produced interference in a bandwidth that used for communications. 

Read more on FCC on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Communications_Commission
Read more on EC on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking

From PocketWizard self: http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/range/

All I'm saying is that if Pocket Wizard produced a product for a pre-existing Canon product, then it should have been thoroughly tested in all the markets.  Did Canon make a flash with too much RF interference? Yup. Did Pocketwizard do their due diligence to make sure this wouldn't affect their customers? nope.

Did Canon make a flash with too much RF interference? Nope.  If you look at the device there is an FCC compliance logo stamped right into the plastic this means that the device met all FCC requirements at the time of its manufacture.  If you read the FCC part 15 requirements you will see that the onus is on Pocket Wizard to make sure their device works with the devices it is supposed to work with.  "Did Pocket Wizard do their due diligence to make sure this wouldn't affect their customers? Absolutely not."  Canon is not at fault on this one, the fault lies entirely with LPA Designs, the PW manufacturer.  I have been through quite a number of FCC, part 15 qualifications for various products over the years.  BTW: it also caries an EC sticker and tehir requirements are even tougher.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »

Explain the ST-E2 then.

Ok, here's the deal.  The Canon 'optical' triggering system does use infrared light for the triggering, but depending on the source of the triggering signal, visible light may also be emitted. 

When using a flash as a master, the signal is sent by the main flash tube.  The xenon flashtube in a Speedlite emits a broad, relatively even spectrum in the visible range (useful for a 'white' flash with an approximate daylight color temperature), but there is even stronger emission in the IR range.  The emission spectrum looks like this:

The receiver on a slave flash is covered by a filter 'window' which blocks the visible light, but passes the IR light - those big peaks between 800-1000nm.  If you look on the front of a slave-capable Speedlite, there's a black panel which covers the IR receiver, and on flashes with an AF assist lamp, there's also a red 'window' for that (the slave receiver is usually above the red AF assist lamp panel).

The ST-E2 master has a xenon flashtube inside it (the AF assist lamp is separate), and that's behind a 'black' filter (the main 'panel' above the AF assist lamp window), which blocks the visible portion of the xenon flashtube emission, so only the IR component of the flash is emitted to control the slave units. 

I suppose Canon calls it 'optical' triggering because most of the time (except with the ST-E2), there is visible light emitted along with the IR triggering signal.  But it's also correct to refer to it as an IR triggering system, since that part of the spectrum is what the receiver is actually detecting.

Or, if you prefer, Canon light triggering IS an infrared system.   :P

The ST-E3 emits only RF - no IR (optical) triggering, and no AF assist lamp, either.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
A great write up, again.

Two silly limitations the new RT system has that Canon have never implemented but third parties have, second curtain sync, which would be nice for sync speed action shots, and remote head zoom function, that is very useful as one of the best modifiers is the zoom.

Thanks!

Yeah, the zoom-head thing is silly, I don't see myself using it much, but I bet you one time I'll need it and curse them.  At least High-Speed sync can be controlled, for me that's more important than the other two.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »
600 ex RT vs PCB einstein 

That is the question in my upgrade situation.

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
600 ex RT vs PCB einstein 

That is the question in my upgrade situation.

Apples and Oranges no? I didn't sell my Elinchrom lights to get the speedlight. I sold my old speedlights to get new speedlights.

Personally, I love the look my bigger lights can produce, their versatility in power output (the Einsteins are very impressive in this regard), but they're not entirely portable.  So do you shoot at home, or in controlled environments where you don't have to lug heavy equipment around all the time, looking for power? Or are you working on your feet in tight situations often with incredibly limited amounts of time?

I use both types of light for different situations, though that doesn't prohibit me from combining them if necessary.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
I use both types of light for different situations, though that doesn't prohibit me from combining them if necessary.

...and combining them is why I use PocketWizards, even with my 600EX-RT - for a blended system of Einstein + Speedlite.  I hope Canon releases an RF receiver for their system at some point, which I can use to trigger a monolight.  Honestly, I expect they will do so down the line, for compatibility with legacy flashes...but likely not until well after they release a slave-only 4x0EX-RT.

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »

...and combining them is why I use PocketWizards, even with my 600EX-RT - for a blended system of Einstein + Speedlite.  I hope Canon releases an RF receiver for their system at some point, which I can use to trigger a monolight.  Honestly, I expect they will do so down the line, for compatibility with legacy flashes...but likely not until well after they release a slave-only 4x0EX-RT.

Yeah, notice I sold my Speedlights but not my Pocketwizards (yet). I also have Elinchrom Skyports which work nicely with THAT system, so I just plug them into the Canon's and then play the trigger/receiver/cable which is at fault game.

JohnnyWashngo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »
'Selling off my 580exIIs wasn’t easy. Their drop in price meant I was selling two flashes to one 600ex-RT purchase'

That's odd. I sold off 3 of my 580exII speedlites in perfect condition when the 600ex-rt was announced. I got almost new price for them and had to add only a small amount extra to buy 3 600ex-rt's. Certainly nowhere near to the 2 for 1 situation you observed.

Great speedlite BTW. I love the confidence a radio trigger gives me. And I love the range as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »
'Selling off my 580exIIs wasn’t easy. Their drop in price meant I was selling two flashes to one 600ex-RT purchase'

That's odd. I sold off 3 of my 580exII speedlites in perfect condition when the 600ex-rt was announced. I got almost new price for them and had to add only a small amount extra to buy 3 600ex-rt's. Certainly nowhere near to the 2 for 1 situation you observed.

Great speedlite BTW. I love the confidence a radio trigger gives me. And I love the range as well.

Maybe because I started selling mine off after the 600 was released.  I didn't share your foresight as the used market crashed when the 600 was released.

And I agree, the confidence of radio, having it all displayed in front of me, the reassuring "beep" and that green light showing they're connected - all make for a more stable shoot.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
"I wonder if they (through firmware) will allow for flash control with the 600EX-RT using the 6D's wireless system.  I would hope that, at minumum, future bodies would have that master control built in.  It's not just the expense of additional components; it is the awkwardness of adding more components to the camera body when often what you need is to just shoot (without more and more weight!)"

...but then Canon would miss out on selling a $300+ accessory?   :P

Exactly. At least this is a $300 accessory that actually does something practical - for a change.

Agreed.  But as Dustin wishes...clearly Canon could include these functions in the firmware and hardware of the camera ...making for a much better system. Smaller, less to carry, lighter weight...and less fiddley.  My Olympus OMD can control multiple flashes at different outputs and it is built right into a camera body that is one half the size of my 5D Mark III and less than one third the cost. Canon could definitely do this, too.

...am still glad to see that this new strobe and module improve on so many previous issues.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »