It's non-ionizing radiation, so it's not as bad as sitting 20ft from a piece of cobalt-60. But, at higher frequencies, it is still microwave radiation. However, as the traces inside a piece of electronics are pretty much little antennas, enough EMF will cause it to cook sensitive MOS type chips. It would take quite a bit, or a long exposure, but usually won't hurt much.
The ol' turning on a hairdryer and watching the TV go static-crazy is a form of EMF interference, but much lower power and more random.
However, enough microwave radiation and it will vibrate your molecules enough to generate heat - kinda like cooking you from the inside out. Microwaves work by vibrating water molecules and making them generate heat via friction. Concentrating them inside a Faraday cage like structure (the oven) is what makes your food cook.
If you were to stand at a parabolic focal point near a metal structure (power cabinet, rack, etc) in line with the transmitter array, you'd probably take some damage, but that would take some careful focusing! Nevertheless, high enough power EMF can still distrupt nervous signals and interfere with body electrical functions.