September 17, 2014, 06:10:18 PM

Author Topic: eos solution disk  (Read 2782 times)

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
eos solution disk
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »
right, since my drive on my imac has nt worled for years, i cant install the eos solution disk and get the utilities fro updating etc.

i borrowed a laptop to copy the files to usb for the disk but looks like that cheap diskdrive on that is playing up aswell!

is there anywhere i can download this thing online??  apparently i can use an old copy and just update it, ive also tried changing the file from the most recent download update from canon but i dont think this works for the newer version!

very very frustrating!

canon rumors FORUM

eos solution disk
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: eos solution disk
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
You can download the latest versions of the software from Canon, and then follow one of the many online guides for installing the software without having a previous version, or the CD. It's freaking stupid, IMHO, but for some reason Canon still does it that way.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »
thanks, like i said i tried this 'fix' but the file im meant to delete is not there anymore in the newer update from canons website.

i cant find a more recent fix on the internet to help me!

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:29:35 PM »
thanks, like i said i tried this 'fix' but the file im meant to delete is not there anymore in the newer update from canons website.

i cant find a more recent fix on the internet to help me!

I did it a few weeks ago... let me get the right tutorial for you... give me 2 min
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »
Ok... here's the link

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html

Go about half way to where you see apple/mac...  It shows where to find that file... When I did it, i had to look for info.datx   Deleting that file made it work for me.  Hope this helps. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »
thanks, i got it now!  always helps to re read things ;)

another ridiculous question... does the new 6d need a newer usb cable to connect to a mac, im using an old one and the computer cant find my new 6d? my 'interface cable' was missing from the box.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:18:27 PM »
Glad to help... the 6d didn't have a cable?  Did you buy it used?  Anyways, the computer will not read the camera like it would an external hard drive... You can get the camera to talk to the computer either by the Canon software or by iphoto.  Otherwise it could be connected and you wouldn't know otherwise.  If you open canon's software, it SHOULD see the camera.  If it doesn't, then you may need a new cord. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:18:27 PM »

Atonegro

• Canon AE-1
  • It's not the gear, it's the eye.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
another ridiculous question... does the new 6d need a newer usb cable to connect to a mac, im using an old one and the computer cant find my new 6d? my 'interface cable' was missing from the box.

Yes, that can make a difference.
Try the shortest of your cables, or a cable that is provided with a recent harddisk or so.
DCS 3c, D2000, 1DS, 1DS2, 1DS3, D800e, D810 and now waiting for the 1DS-X.....or a Nikon D4X...

English is not my native language, I learned  it only a few years ago. If you don't like my spelling, I will be happy to write it in Dutch for you.

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
i got it used, the guy tested it out for a few days and brought it back to the shop and got a nikon instead !! apparently he didnt take the box!

i guess it needs a newer usb cable, i hope!

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:26:24 PM »
gotcha... if you want to test the cord, open iphoto, with the camera attached and the camera ON... iphoto will see the camera, whether your using raw or jpeg... if that see's it, then the cord is good.  If it doesn't, then it wont.  Also it may sound silly but if you have the camera connected but it goes to "sleep" mode, then the computer wont see the camera.  If iphoto doesn't even see the camera, then the cord you have is duff. 

edit... keep in mind, iphoto cannot import raw files from the camera, only jpegs, BUT you will physically see the raw pictures previews.... That will tell you the cord is or isnt working the way it's supposed to. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:50:55 PM by awinphoto »

oscaroo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
Just a word of warning buddy. The "Upload to web service" feature of the 6d will not work if you install the online update and work around the update-check.

You'll be needing some certificate that comes only with the installer from the CD.

:)

I've already emailed canon about this. Maybe one day they'll do something about it.
Why does everyone put a listing of all their camera stuff here?

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
Just a word of warning buddy. The "Upload to web service" feature of the 6d will not work if you install the online update and work around the update-check.

You'll be needing some certificate that comes only with the installer from the CD.

:)

I've already emailed canon about this. Maybe one day they'll do something about it.

There's no download from the Canon 6D website for the certificates? Weird. Have you tried googling for them?
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:54:12 PM »
edit... keep in mind, iphoto cannot import raw files from the camera, only jpegs, BUT you will physically see the raw pictures previews.... That will tell you the cord is or isnt working the way it's supposed to.
Actually, newer versions of iPhoto handle RAW just fine, as the RAW support is built into MacOS X, not the application.

That said, iPhoto is probably not the best app to make RAW adjustments in. Apple's Aperture or Lightoom would be much better suited for that.
Canon 7D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:54:12 PM »

oscaroo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 07:20:22 AM »
I don't remeber if i tried googling for the certs.
But, I've the cd, and that worked, so  .. yay me.
Why does everyone put a listing of all their camera stuff here?

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »
Actually, newer versions of iPhoto handle RAW just fine, as the RAW support is built into MacOS X, not the application.

That said, iPhoto is probably not the best app to make RAW adjustments in. Apple's Aperture or Lightoom would be much better suited for that.

Good to note...  I have the previous version, i think 09, and that doesn't import raw...  Normally I use iphoto for friends and family photos or when I'm done working on clients photos...  iphoto works with apple TV and such, so it's easier for me to show clients pictures big on my TV screen than computer monitor... Thanks for clarifying tho. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »