July 25, 2014, 07:54:07 PM

Author Topic: Good TripodHead  (Read 5901 times)

Zen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Good TripodHead
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »
+1 on the RRS eqpt. It's the absolute best. After going thru 4-5 different combinations of other brands, incl Giotto and Manfrotto, I went for the RRS and there is no comparison. Wish I had gone with RRS from the beginning. I have the mid size head and find it stable, easy to use, mount and dismount the plated camera [5D3], etc.

Take a look at their web-site.

Zen

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 05:00:13 PM »
Versa 3+PG-02 FG = ultimate stability for my 400 f/2.8 II.

I went with the PG-02 LLR (side mount vs. bottom mount gimbal) on a TVC-33, either way it's a top-notch setup for holding a supertele.

Yup. I would like to try the non-gimbal. I should just buy the plate and see how different it is. I am sure it is minimal but the FG setup is about 1 Lb I could shave out of my gear.
From a support and tracking standpoint, there's really no difference between the side mount gimbal and the bottom mount gimbal.  A little more care is required when mounting the lens into the clamp, with the side mount you need to support the weight of the lens while you lock the clamp, but with the bottom mount you can rest the lens on the plate as you clamp it. 

Besides being lighter and having one less piece when disassembled, I like that the side mount allows me to reach 'under' the lens to access the MF and focus preset rings. I had originally intended to get the full gimbal, and was surprised when RRS recommended the side over the full.  I discussed it with someone who'd bought the side gimbal for a 500 MkI and was quite pleased, so between that and RRS' recommendation, I went with that.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
+1 on the RRS eqpt. It's the absolute best. After going thru 4-5 different combinations of other brands, incl Giotto and Manfrotto, I went for the RRS and there is no comparison. Wish I had gone with RRS from the beginning. I have the mid size head and find it stable, easy to use, mount and dismount the plated camera [5D3], etc.

Take a look at their web-site.

Zen

Same here!
I've pretty much always used the RRS L plates, but I've had various combinations of Manfrotto, Gitzo & Acratech...which were all good, but not quite right.
I picked up a RRS TVC-24L tripod w/ BH-40 ball head about 1 1/2 years ago and couldn't be happier.
Neuro brings up a good point about the diff between the BH-40 and BH-30...the lack of the drag friction knob is something that I couldn't live without.

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 05:50:55 PM »
The ultimate in support would be a Arca-Swiss Z1 or RRS BH-55.  Given your current tripod and what you are planning on supporting, it seems that a Markins Q3T, Markins M10, or a RRS BH-40 would be perfect.

Tioga Designs

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • Tioga Designs
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
Same here!
I've pretty much always used the RRS L plates, but I've had various combinations of Manfrotto, Gitzo & Acratech...which were all good, but not quite right.
I picked up a RRS TVC-24L tripod w/ BH-40 ball head about 1 1/2 years ago and couldn't be happier.
Neuro brings up a good point about the diff between the BH-40 and BH-30...the lack of the drag friction knob is something that I couldn't live without.

I also highly recommend the RRS BH-40 and the L plate. Great head and the L plate makes switching between portrait and landscape a breeze - something that you don't realize how useful it is until you have one.

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
After slowing climbing the tripod and pan/tilt and ball heads over the years I landed with a ball head that I really like, the RRS BH-40. Don't think I will ever own anything but RRS heads after having this one.  I use it primarily on Manfrotto 055CXPRO legs which keeps the weight very low for long likes.
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 06:39:35 PM »
RSS stuff is awesome.

In addition to the BH-40 that so many others have rightly suggested as would be perfect for your setup, let me also recommend the RSS L-plate for the gripped 5DIII. Said L-plate literally lives on my camera. Believe it or not, the grip is actually more comfortable in the hand with the L-plate than without. And stick one of those little 1" clamps from...Kirk? -- I keep forgetting...anyway, put a mini clamp at the end of a BlackRapid strap, and fasten the clamp to the left side of the camera, and you've got yourself an awesome walkabout setup. The 24-105 balances the whole thing perfectly, and it's all superbly comfortable.

One other tip: you can get USB cables with a right angle at the small end; those work much better for tethered shooting than trying to cram a regular cable between the bracket and the clamp.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 06:39:35 PM »

mbpics

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 07:17:37 PM »
RSS stuff is awesome.

In addition to the BH-40 that so many others have rightly suggested as would be perfect for your setup, let me also recommend the RSS L-plate for the gripped 5DIII. Said L-plate literally lives on my camera. Believe it or not, the grip is actually more comfortable in the hand with the L-plate than without. And stick one of those little 1" clamps from...Kirk? -- I keep forgetting...anyway, put a mini clamp at the end of a BlackRapid strap, and fasten the clamp to the left side of the camera, and you've got yourself an awesome walkabout setup. The 24-105 balances the whole thing perfectly, and it's all superbly comfortable.

One other tip: you can get USB cables with a right angle at the small end; those work much better for tethered shooting than trying to cram a regular cable between the bracket and the clamp.

Cheers,

b&

I have this clamp to attach to my Black Rapid strap - it works great! A bit of loctite on the BR screw and it's as solid as can be.

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 07:24:32 PM »
Versa 3+PG-02 FG = ultimate stability for my 400 f/2.8 II.

I went with the PG-02 LLR (side mount vs. bottom mount gimbal) on a TVC-33, either way it's a top-notch setup for holding a supertele.

Yup. I would like to try the non-gimbal. I should just buy the plate and see how different it is. I am sure it is minimal but the FG setup is about 1 Lb I could shave out of my gear.
From a support and tracking standpoint, there's really no difference between the side mount gimbal and the bottom mount gimbal.  A little more care is required when mounting the lens into the clamp, with the side mount you need to support the weight of the lens while you lock the clamp, but with the bottom mount you can rest the lens on the plate as you clamp it. 

Besides being lighter and having one less piece when disassembled, I like that the side mount allows me to reach 'under' the lens to access the MF and focus preset rings. I had originally intended to get the full gimbal, and was surprised when RRS recommended the side over the full.  I discussed it with someone who'd bought the side gimbal for a 500 MkI and was quite pleased, so between that and RRS' recommendation, I went with that.

Good point on the focus ring/preset/MF. I will say I am a smaller guy (170CM 68Kg) so the FG has its advantages for me. Thanks~

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
RSS stuff is awesome.

Cheers,

b&

I have this clamp to attach to my Black Rapid strap - it works great! A bit of loctite on the BR screw and it's as solid as can be.

That'll work, of course, but the Kirk clamp is tiny, just as secure for this purpose, and costs about half as much.

I'm as big a fan of RSS as you'll find, but this particular side round goes to Kirk.

b&

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
Kirk QRC-1 is what you're thinking of...I have a couple.  The RRS clamp with the flat bottom is pretty new - the older one has metal 'nubs' on the bottom so the BR lug doesn't sit flush. I called RRS about it, since the nubby clamp was pictured in their website with a BR strap attached. Their advice is usually reliable and helpful, but in this case their suggestions were to either 'mash the rubber washer down onto the nubs' or 'just file them off'.  :o  I bought the Kirk clamp instead.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
Kirk QRC-1 is what you're thinking of...I have a couple.  The RRS clamp with the flat bottom is pretty new - the older one has metal 'nubs' on the bottom so the BR lug doesn't sit flush. I called RRS about it, since the nubby clamp was pictured in their website with a BR strap attached. Their advice is usually reliable and helpful, but in this case their suggestions were to either 'mash the rubber washer down onto the nubs' or 'just file them off'.  :o  I bought the Kirk clamp instead.

I'm just waiting for somebody -- RSS, Kirk, hell, even BlackRapid themselves -- to get smart and start selling a clamp that's just got a loop suitable for attachment to one of these mini carabiner clamps on the back. No screw hole, no nothing, just clamp on one side and loop on the other, minimum metal otherwise.

b&

mbpics

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »
RSS stuff is awesome.

Cheers,

b&

That'll work, of course, but the Kirk clamp is tiny, just as secure for this purpose, and costs about half as much.

I'm as big a fan of RSS as you'll find, but this particular side round goes to Kirk.

b&

You can't really go wrong either way; I prefer having a slightly wider clamp and nobody around here is gonna split hairs for a $20 difference  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 11:24:26 PM »
I prefer the versatility of an Arca-Swiss camera plate type Ball head.  I use a Photoclam ball head on my Feisol tripod...LOVE thIs set-up...super light and folds small...but opens up big and tall...more than sturdy enough for my kit.
If I need more stability I just hang my bag of L-Glass on the tripod hook....
The Markins is a good or better than my set-up. I have found getting the right tripod for your particular needs is a personal journey....seems that everyone has different priorities...no GREAT set-up is inexpensive...but if you have a tripod that just performs and doesn't get in the way..you can be more free to focus on the photo instead of fumbling around. I also leave an Arca plate permanently fixed on my camera and lens mounts. They go unnoticed until I need to use a tripod and then it is fast and easy.

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Traveler_Class.htm

http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoClam/PC-33NS.htm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:37:32 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 15 stops to Heaven
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 12:53:54 AM »
Sirui provides RRS quality at half the price, their K range of heads also has panoramic function built in. Coupled with a series 3 Gitzo, it is the most stable tripod head combo I found after many a previous attempt.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 12:53:54 AM »