April 17, 2014, 12:25:46 PM

Author Topic: Good TripodHead  (Read 5259 times)

Normalnorm

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Good TripodHead
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 01:01:37 AM »
Arca Swiss P-0.

Small, smooth and secure. As it is an inverted ball style head it allows easy leveling and panning.
Price is very good and the quality first rate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 01:01:37 AM »

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 01:39:16 AM »
Kirk QRC-1 is what you're thinking of...I have a couple.  The RRS clamp with the flat bottom is pretty new - the older one has metal 'nubs' on the bottom so the BR lug doesn't sit flush. I called RRS about it, since the nubby clamp was pictured in their website with a BR strap attached. Their advice is usually reliable and helpful, but in this case their suggestions were to either 'mash the rubber washer down onto the nubs' or 'just file them off'.  :o  I bought the Kirk clamp instead.

I'm just waiting for somebody -- RSS, Kirk, hell, even BlackRapid themselves -- to get smart and start selling a clamp that's just got a loop suitable for attachment to one of these mini carabiner clamps on the back. No screw hole, no nothing, just clamp on one side and loop on the other, minimum metal otherwise.

b&

You mean one of these?
http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=86

"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

mbpics

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 02:43:54 AM »

You mean one of these?

$150 wow :o

also does that thing have a screw-knob and a quick release, one on each side?

M.ST

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 06:02:18 AM »
I can highly recommend the Manfrotto 410 gearhead with additional Arca-Swiss-plates.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
Kirk QRC-1 is what you're thinking of...I have a couple.  The RRS clamp with the flat bottom is pretty new - the older one has metal 'nubs' on the bottom so the BR lug doesn't sit flush. I called RRS about it, since the nubby clamp was pictured in their website with a BR strap attached. Their advice is usually reliable and helpful, but in this case their suggestions were to either 'mash the rubber washer down onto the nubs' or 'just file them off'.  :o  I bought the Kirk clamp instead.

I'm just waiting for somebody -- RSS, Kirk, hell, even BlackRapid themselves -- to get smart and start selling a clamp that's just got a loop suitable for attachment to one of these mini carabiner clamps on the back. No screw hole, no nothing, just clamp on one side and loop on the other, minimum metal otherwise.

b&

You mean one of these?

Nice thought...but a lever release is a non-starter -- a disaster waiting to happen, really -- and the whole thing is much bulkier than the Kirk plate...and, at $150, not at all worth it.

b&

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
...but a lever release is a non-starter -- a disaster waiting to happen, really

What, you think having thousands of dollars in gear swinging from a clamp with a lever release sticking out, just waiting to catch on clothing or a tree branch and send that gear crashing to the ground is a bad idea?!?   :P  I wouldn't use a lever-release clamp for a BR+Arca solution even if it were given to me for free...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
...but a lever release is a non-starter -- a disaster waiting to happen, really

What, you think having thousands of dollars in gear swinging from a clamp with a lever release sticking out, just waiting to catch on clothing or a tree branch and send that gear crashing to the ground is a bad idea?!?   :P  I wouldn't use a lever-release clamp for a BR+Arca solution even if it were given to me for free...

Exactly why the F-1 plate is so nice.  The lever-release Arca is a double jointed setup each with their own failing, just isn't what one would want.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
For a general purpose ball head really right stuff makes wonderful but pricey heads.  Full is BH-55, mid size is Bh-40 (I think).   Pricey but excellent quality

photokid

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »
I use an Acratech and it's fabulous, locks solid, doubles up as a casual gimble head (maybe not for super teles, but fine for the 70-200 2.8 IS II
http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=76 I have it on a 3 legged thing Brian I think, saving for a nice gitzo too, and the acratech wil be going on that. If you like panorams the acratech has a facility for you to reverse the head and use the ball head like a levelling base. Unsure why these aren't more popular, it's the only ball head I've had where the tension facility actually works.

I use Sunwayfoto plates, I have the 5D3 dedicated L plate and normal plate, fantastic, about as good as it needs to be, can't see the difference between them and the more expensive brands.

I also use one of their mini clamps on a Joby sling strap and they are superb, not too pricey either, about £25 ($40) and terrific quality well up to weight of 5d3 and big 70-200.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »