December 21, 2014, 06:44:22 AM

Author Topic: Good TripodHead  (Read 6976 times)

chihiro

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Good TripodHead
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »
hello!

I am looking for a help to choose a tripod head!! (a stable tripod head) .

i am using Manfrotto 055XPROB. for now is ok., (but probably should think for a replacement for the near future.)

i have been using for some time - Giottos MH1300-652 and Its very unstable ! Could you give me some suggestions for a good realible tripod head please.

i use 5d mark3 with battery grip sometime,with lenses canon 16-35mm and canon 24-105mm f/4 IS

Thank you!

canon rumors FORUM

Good TripodHead
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Good TripodHead
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
What sort of budget?  The Really Right Stuff BH-40 is an excellent mid-sized ballhead, but not cheap, and you'll need an Arca-Swiss type plate for your camera (which is a better clamping system than the Giottos one, anyway). 

The Manfrotto 468MG is also a great option, a bit less expensive, I'd pair it with a Wimberley C-12 clamp and a Wimberley P-5 camera plate.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

raptor3x

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:19:51 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the Markins ballheads, although the RRS BH-40 is a fantastic option as well.  If you search on FM, you can usually find Q10s going for less than $250.  If you're more budget minded, the Benro B2 or B3 seems to be a reasonable approximation to the Markins, although I don't know how well they'll hold up over time; but I use one of their combination legs (the C4770t) and it's been absolutely fantastic so I don't doubt their ball heads will be any worse.  Then the other issue is that you'll need to start investing in QR plates as well.  When I switched over to the arca-swiss system I ended up spending more on plates than I did on the ball head just because of how many I needed to buy.
Bodies: 1Ds3,5D3,X-T1,A7R Lenses:  16-35L F4 IS, X 18-55 2.8-4, Σ 35 1.4 A, 35 2.8 FE, Σ 50 1.4 A, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 100L IS, 135L,  70-200L F2.8 IS II

EvilTed

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:36:41 AM »
I went with Arca-Swiss Z1 with a Really Right Stuff QR clamp and RRS L bracket and lens plates.
Wonderful combination and the AS is rated much higher than the RRS BH-55.

ET

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »
...the AS is rated much higher than the RRS BH-55.

Load capacity ratings aren't really useful to compare between manufacturers, only within a manufacturer's line.  I've got a RRS TQC-14 tripod that is 'rated' to support 25 lbs...I can grab a two of the legs and hang my 185 lb self underneath the tripod with no issues.  The Induro CT-214 tripod legs are rated to 26.5 lbs, and when I started to try that trick with a set of them in a shop, it was immediately apparent from the way they bowed in that I needed to stop to avoid 'you break it you buy it'. 

Hector1970

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »
I have the Manfrotto (310 I think) Junior Geared Head.
It's great for accurate changing of levels or straightening the horizon.
It's downsize is it's bloody heavy and big.
I was caught by surprise when it arrived as I was expecting junior to be small.
Once you get over size and weight it's super.
It's steady as a rock.
I got of sick of ballheads and trying to get them properly level.
Maybe I should have gone for something more expensive like a Swiss Arca Ball Head or Really Right Stuff.

Seanlucky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »

You're thinking of the Manfrotto 410 Geared Head. I have the larger brother (405) head and absolutely love them.

To the OP, you really need to mention your budget if you want to get any useful answers...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »

crasher8

Once again, we need to know your budget
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »
Best low end-Benro/Induro

Best Moderately Priced- Surui/Oben

Best Money no Issue- Kirk/Markins/RRS

mbpics

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:11 PM »
What sort of budget?  The Really Right Stuff BH-40 is an excellent mid-sized ballhead, but not cheap, and you'll need an Arca-Swiss type plate for your camera (which is a better clamping system than the Giottos one, anyway). 

The Manfrotto 468MG is also a great option, a bit less expensive, I'd pair it with a Wimberley C-12 clamp and a Wimberley P-5 camera plate.

Neuro, what do you think of the BH-30?

I recently got an RRS body plate and flat-back clamp for use with my Black Rapid strap and I'm looking for a lightweight yet sturdy head. I have Benro A2190T lightweight aluminum legs that are surprisingly sturdy with the center post removed and bottom leg segment not exended (I don't mind bending down a bit). Weight is a priority and I wouldn't really need it to be able to sustain high winds or anything like that.

The heaviest combo I'd likely mount is my D700 and 24-70, so think 7D/5D3 and 24-70 I for a Canon comparison.

Also do you think the lack of a drag knob on the BH-30 is a big deal compared to the BH-40? It would be nice to save the $100 difference and put it towards a lens, but I haven't had much luck finding info about any drawbacks to the BH-30.

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »
I'm loving the Sirui k30x with the CarrySpeed Arca plate.  It's rated for a very heavy 66lbs, so stepping down a level may work.  Can't fight the price though - $141
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »
...the AS is rated much higher than the RRS BH-55.

Load capacity ratings aren't really useful to compare between manufacturers, only within a manufacturer's line.  I've got a RRS TQC-14 tripod that is 'rated' to support 25 lbs...I can grab a two of the legs and hang my 185 lb self underneath the tripod with no issues.  The Induro CT-214 tripod legs are rated to 26.5 lbs, and when I started to try that trick with a set of them in a shop, it was immediately apparent from the way they bowed in that I needed to stop to avoid 'you break it you buy it'.

Just got my versa 3 and have to say it blows my old Benro out of the water. Versa 3+PG-02 FG = ultimate stability for my 400 f/2.8 II.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »
It's great for accurate changing of levels or straightening the horizon.
It's downsize is it's bloody heavy and big.
I was caught by surprise when it arrived as I was expecting junior to be small.
Once you get over size and weight it's super.
It's steady as a rock.
I got of sick of ballheads and trying to get them properly level.
Maybe I should have gone for something more expensive like a Swiss Arca Ball Head or Really Right Stuff.

+1
LOVE my manfrotto gear heads, they're almost all I use.
had some ball-heads, they blow.  Kept one midsize manfrotto ball head for use with my compact cams.
ballheads are ok if you're messing around and need to be fast

The 410 Junior is a nice match to the 055 tripod, very solid, nice big mounting plate.
I use the bigger 405 with heavier rigs and bigger 'pods.

A cheaper head a buddy likes is the one with 3 large levers to move the 3 sections and each one is also a twist lock.  it's quite precise too, not as small but if you're used to it it's pretty fast and solid.  it also has built-in spring counter-balance which can be turned on-off and is occasionally useful.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
Neuro, what do you think of the BH-30?

Also do you think the lack of a drag knob on the BH-30 is a big deal compared to the BH-40? It would be nice to save the $100 difference and put it towards a lens, but I haven't had much luck finding info about any drawbacks to the BH-30.

I have the BH-30 on my TQC-14, and I like it a lot - it's small, light, and strong for its size.  I don't find the lack of a drag friction knob to be a big sacrifice, but others might.  A friend mentioned that there was a pretty abrupt transition from tight to loose on the BH-30 he borrowed to test out (he settled on the Markins Q3T); my BH-30 doesn't seem that abrupt (it can be set with a bit of drag), but mine is new and the one he tested has seen a couple of years of use, so maybe mine will change?  Here's a good read on the subject.

Versa 3+PG-02 FG = ultimate stability for my 400 f/2.8 II.

I went with the PG-02 LLR (side mount vs. bottom mount gimbal) on a TVC-33, either way it's a top-notch setup for holding a supertele.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »
Versa 3+PG-02 FG = ultimate stability for my 400 f/2.8 II.

I went with the PG-02 LLR (side mount vs. bottom mount gimbal) on a TVC-33, either way it's a top-notch setup for holding a supertele.

Yup. I would like to try the non-gimbal. I should just buy the plate and see how different it is. I am sure it is minimal but the FG setup is about 1 Lb I could shave out of my gear.

mbpics

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »
I have the BH-30 on my TQC-14, and I like it a lot - it's small, light, and strong for its size.  I don't find the lack of a drag friction knob to be a big sacrifice, but others might.  A friend mentioned that there was a pretty abrupt transition from tight to loose on the BH-30 he borrowed to test out (he settled on the Markins Q3T); my BH-30 doesn't seem that abrupt (it can be set with a bit of drag), but mine is new and the one he tested has seen a couple of years of use, so maybe mine will change?  Here's a good read on the subject.

Thanks! I figured the 30 was a good match for a set of travel legs. It seems to be the best compromise of size, stability, and price in the RRS lineup. I'm not the type to lug around a big hulking tripod (even the manfrotto 055 was far too big and heavy for my tastes) and I can't justify CF legs, so this looks like a good combo for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »