December 18, 2014, 08:36:12 PM

Author Topic: Upgrade from D300s  (Read 2501 times)

ernrocks99

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Upgrade from D300s
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »
I would like some input on which body would offer the better resolution and high ISO performance.  I shoot mainly portraits in studio and on location and bands also in studio and live shows.  I've narrowed it down to two used bodies.  The 5D (original) and the 1Ds mark ii.  Thanks for your input!

canon rumors FORUM

Upgrade from D300s
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »

MK5GTI

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade from D300s
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »
better resolution as in bigger res?

if so, i believe your D300s is 12mp right? the 5D classic is also 12mp.

if you want better resolution and better high ISO, want not stay with Nikon and not to deal with the trouble to switch brand?

i believe the D7100 gives you good enough high ISO performance, whopping 24mp as well.

mbpics

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:27:44 PM »
What about lenses? What features do you want in the body? You're suggesting going from a weather-sealed, high-speed crop body to a 5D? It's really hard to tell what you're looking for.

Just about anything full frame or made in the past couple of years will give you much better ISO performance than your D300s. If you're okay with switching systems and don't care about the physical capabilities (sealing, feel, etc) and speed of your D300s, then a 5D2 would give you much improved resolution and IQ. If you do care, then I would suggest a D700 - not a strict resolution increase, but you get vastly improved IQ and very good high ISO performance while keeping nearly the exact same body.

If you're set on increasing the MP count and are okay with staying on crop, I would go with a D7100 when they show up, or a refurb D600 ($1600 now) if you're set on full frame.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »
Coming from your camera choices, I'll assume you want the Canon brand (lenses especially) but have a tight budget... The 5d classic and the 1ds2, resolution difference will be negligible... The 5d classic may even feel like a downgrade given how old it is...  The 7D is most like the D300s, but you will get a resolution upgrade.  ISO performance was pretty close to the D300s if I recall right.  That may be a smoother transition.  If you dont mind holding off a tad, the 7D mark 2 is anticipated to come out within a few months...  Likely will have even better ISO and resolution, although that is yet to be seen.  Lenses are what really makes the Canon system shine...  so everything will boil down to your budget and what your looking to get. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:26:28 PM »
D700?

mbpics

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »
D700?

This is probably the easiest upgrade for OP to make. Nearly the same body, solid fps, and full frame. It doesn't exactly have the resolution for big prints (as you probably know from owning a 5D before), but it definitely gets the job done.

With the help of a free trial of Perfect Resize, I now have several beautiful 30x20 prints on my walls; not bad for a 12mp sensor.

Another plus is the huge pixels look great at 1:1, so the post work is far less time consuming than something like a D800. You don't resolve details as well, but it takes some work and a decent amount of processing time to make D800 files look better than D700 files at high ISO.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 02:03:00 AM »
I would like some input on which body would offer the better resolution and high ISO performance.  I shoot mainly portraits in studio and on location and bands also in studio and live shows.  I've narrowed it down to two used bodies.  The 5D (original) and the 1Ds mark ii.  Thanks for your input!

I've not tried one myself yet, but I have to echo the D700 suggestions.  You really should stick with the Nikon brand, and also it just may be that you are shooting part of the time, in available light?   But it sort of depends on how many Nikon lenses you have, and if you like them...and if they are full frame.  You can buy a used D700 for around $1500.  I have never seen a photograph taken with one, that I didn't like.

I just don't like the ergonomics of Nikon's full frame bodies.  I need fingers that are 6 inches long, to reach the shutter release.  And the controls on the rear, are way too tiny.

Regarding the image size issue, I don't see it as one for the type of work you do, unless as mentioned above, most of your work winds up being prints that are 20x30 or larger.

I've wanted to try Perfect Resize, myself.  I like Photoshop's standard "bicubic" enlargement ok, but it's far from..."perfect".  The "bicubic softer"...supposedly "best" for enlargements...really seems best for making a picture soft and ruining it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 02:03:00 AM »

mbpics

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:57:39 PM »

I've not tried one myself yet, but I have to echo the D700 suggestions.  You really should stick with the Nikon brand, and also it just may be that you are shooting part of the time, in available light?   But it sort of depends on how many Nikon lenses you have, and if you like them...and if they are full frame.  You can buy a used D700 for around $1500.  I have never seen a photograph taken with one, that I didn't like.

I just don't like the ergonomics of Nikon's full frame bodies.  I need fingers that are 6 inches long, to reach the shutter release.  And the controls on the rear, are way too tiny.

Regarding the image size issue, I don't see it as one for the type of work you do, unless as mentioned above, most of your work winds up being prints that are 20x30 or larger.

I've wanted to try Perfect Resize, myself.  I like Photoshop's standard "bicubic" enlargement ok, but it's far from..."perfect".  The "bicubic softer"...supposedly "best" for enlargements...really seems best for making a picture soft and ruining it.

Haha I love the ergonomics on my D700  ;D I have average hands and don't have any issues whatsoever. It's a shame that Nikon has since removed/altered the AF control levers that I love so dearly.

Whenever I use a Canon body it bothers me that the rear dial is a big wheel and not the same type of dial as the front one... Using it feels a bit like having to rub my belly while patting my head  :D I also hate mode dials and love that Nikon puts a quick-select mode button on their semipro bodies. To each their own!

You should give Perfect Resize a try; they have a free trial so there's nothing to lose. It really does add a good amount of detail compared to standard sharpening/upscaling.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:59:21 PM by mbpics »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 11:09:27 PM »
Mbpics, thank you!  Yes, to each their own...we Canon people don't fear the big dial.  It's almost like if our cameras were cars, they would have 26 inch rims...hahaha.

I'm envious of your D700...as I've said before, I don't think I've ever seen any picture done with a D700, that didn't look fantastic in every way!

Yes I agree, I need to try perfect resize, I just haven't gotten around to it.  I've been leery of trying trial versions of software...but I'll make an exception in this case.  However....what if they come out with a new version in the next couple of months, right after I buy this one???  That wouldn't be enjoyable...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 11:09:27 PM »