His Panasonic Lumix kind-of bit the dust (well, dust got inside of the lens which drove him nuts, so he disassembled it, and now we have no P&S). I am not a fan of him using my camera as he's just not as careful with stuff as I am. And once this snow melts, he will be taking bike rides with the kids (bike trailer) and obviously will want something a little more lightweight.
He had been looking at possibly getting an entry level DSLR, but I think he'd be better off with something a little smaller. He shoots my camera in auto mode (the shame) and likes the simplicity, but also enjoys the bokeh I get and so would maybe like some sort of a hybrid camera?
1) Something that takes decent shots, indoors and out
2) Something that has relatively little delay (this drives me nuts on P&S cams)
3) Something relatively compact, but not a huge deal as he does have a camera case
4) Something not TOO expensive
5) Preferrably something that shoots HD video (has an HD Canon camcorder but shoots to mini tapes so PITA to convert files)
Additionally, he likes the idea of interchanging lenses, but I don't know that he necessarily will be lugging around lenses in the bike trailer; also, he has in the past mounted his P&S to his bike and took video that way. He enjoys taking snaps of the kids, some landscape, and video.
Thank you in advance!!