April 20, 2014, 08:41:35 PM

Author Topic: Good GND filter to go with new Lee system  (Read 9508 times)

RobertG.

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Good GND filter to go with new Lee system
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 08:29:27 PM »
In the attached shot I used a combination of a 0.6 grad ND with a 0.9 grad ND filter. Not really a good idea normally because the sky turns to dark grey on the edges of such a shot. But in this picture it worked more or less. Flare was a biggest concern and I had to experiment a lot with the aperture. A f2.5 worked best for the EF 35mm L used in this shot. Any smaller aperture caused a lot more flare.

BTW, the shot is the re-sized jpeg straight out of cam.

Kind regards, Robert
5DII | TS-E 24 mm II | EF 35mm f1.4 | TS-E 45mm | EF 50mm f1.4 | Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 | EF 85mm f1.8 | TS-E 90mm f2.8 | EF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 L
450D | EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | EF-S 60mm f2.8 | EF-S 55-250mm
Arsat PCS 55mm f4.5 | Vivitar 135mm f2.8 ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 08:29:27 PM »

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »
So I purchased the Singe-Ray reverse grad listed above and the Hard Edge Lee, the Soft Edge being out of stock. Both .9/3 stops, and I did some quick tests last night.

The Reverse Grad made me wonder why I got it on first sight, the reverse gradation is so gradual it seems like a normal GND would work just as well. This is just by visual inspection, it wasn't as differentiated from the GND as I had expected.

In quick tests it worked well though. It was a completely clear and bright afternoon and I get a good view of the setting sun from my doorstep. It gave me a nicely blue sky, detailed landscape with proper exposure between the two shooting directly into the sun. Of course it reduced and in some cases eliminated flare. Nice shots!

The .9 Lee hard edge isn't the appropriate choice for where I'm shooting (not at the ocean) but it worked well and gave me a great sky.

Overall I'm loving the Lee system and the grads, I had the cheap Cokin system previously which wasn't as good an optical quality and vignetted.  I use the LowePro Filter Holder to store these filters. I use the Blue tab for the Hard Edge grad (remember blue meaning water), the Red to hold the reverse grad (remember red sunset), white for the soft edge (gradual white edge for landscape) and the Big Stopper on the black code. Make them easy to find and organize.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 10:14:38 AM »
Thanks for the update! 

I've had the Lowepro S&F filter holder for a while (picked it up dirt cheap at a brick-and-mortar shop closeout).  My current thinking is to start with the 3-stop soft and 3-stop reverse to start.  But first up will be a 24-70 II.  :)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 10:14:38 AM »