Gear Talk > Canon General

Macro 100mm F/2.8L IS with Raynox DCR-250 or 1.4 teleconverter or extension tube

(1/2) > >>

DCM1024:
Any input from current users shooting for extreme macro? I just bought the lens and already have the DCR-250. Should I use them in tandem or consider replacing with the tubes and converter? Thanks, Debbie

Don Haines:

--- Quote from: DCM1024 on February 28, 2013, 01:25:53 AM ---Any input from current users shooting for extreme macro? I just bought the lens and already have the DCR-250. Should I use them in tandem or consider replacing with the tubes and converter? Thanks, Debbie

--- End quote ---

I have tried mine with a 1.4x teleconverter and didn't like the results. I have an extension tube on order and am going to try playing with it and the 100L macro to see how it works.

Mt Spokane Photography:

--- Quote from: DCM1024 on February 28, 2013, 01:25:53 AM ---Any input from current users shooting for extreme macro? I just bought the lens and already have the DCR-250. Should I use them in tandem or consider replacing with the tubes and converter? Thanks, Debbie

--- End quote ---
The 100L does not work with Canon TC's and the Kenko TC will cause late model Cameras like the 5D MK III,  6D, and 1D x to hang, requiring a battery removal to get the TC working again (with a different lens).

Since you have a DCR 250, see if you like it.  You will have to get close.
I have used extension rings, if I use a shorter one, I can autofocus barely, and IS still works.

I'm hoping that Kenko will upgrade their 1.4X TC so it works with a 100L on my 5D MK III.  If you have a older camera model, it will work on the 100L.

DCM1024:
Thank you both for responding. I have just received the Kenko tube set, but have not yet tried them or the Raynox 250 with the macro. I had read that the tc could be used with the macro by placing a tube in between the body and tc. I just got 3 new lenses: the 100mm macro, 135mm f2 and the 70-200 f4, so my time today was spent playing with each of them a bit. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty, so I may take the macro, tubes and DCR-250 to the zoo to see how I like them individually and together. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. Debbie

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: DCM1024 on February 28, 2013, 01:25:53 AM ---Any input from current users shooting for extreme macro?

--- End quote ---

If you really want extreme macro, consider the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x macro.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version