September 21, 2014, 02:22:00 PM

Author Topic: New DSLR at the End of March [CR2]  (Read 18882 times)

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
Re: New DSLR at the End of March [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »
Prolly 70 D, maybe some jockeying iterations, likely nothing earthshattering...

The Earth SHattering mess will come when the 7D MK II is announced!
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »

MrFotoFool

• EOS M2
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »
To those who complain about "boring" or "incremental" upgrades, not just on this thread but on many CR threads, I would ask how much better can cameras really get?  Just about any model SLR made today by any manufacturer gives astounding results.  Camera improvements in the last four years or so are so amazing that it is almost inconceivable to me they can really get much better.  "Usable" high ISO of "only" 1600 or 3200 is not good enough?  There was a time not too long ago that most of us would never use film above 400 ISO.  I used 100 ISO slide film almost exclusively (often pushed to 200 for animal photography) and was ecstatic when Provia 400X came out with an acceptable level of grain.  The fact that I can use my 5D2 (the only DSLR I have ever owned) at 800 with essentially the same quality as 100, and even 1600 to make fine poster prints, still boggles my mind.

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 01:24:03 AM »
I don't care for metal bodies. I care more for metal lenses. For bodies - I don't plan to own them for more than 5 years. Even the cheapest of plastic will hold up under those conditions.

I do care for an improved sensor. I hate the 18MP cropped sensor of the current Canon crop. It has to go. I preferred the 450Ds sensor to the current ones. Less crappy noise. Sure there's not as many MPs so not as sharp, but I'll take per-pixel goodness over noisy sharpness.

Also much needed is wifi, gps and touchscreen, in all but the entry level model. Looking forward to 5DIV having this, and an improved sensor. Then I'll keep using that body till it breaks, or 5 years (whatever comes first).

Pr0wler

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 02:05:23 AM »
Look at the 60D and the T3i.... the only real difference was that the 60D had better sealing, a faster burst rate, and a shoulder display. I can see Canon doing the same with a 70D and the T4i.....

Personally, I don't expect the 70D to be more than an incremental improvement. If you give it all the bells and whistles plus new sensor technology, where does that leave the 7D2 to differentiate itself? Didn't Canon say that the 7D2 was going to be "revolutionary"?

One of the biggest reasons I bought the 60D was the size which is a big difference from the rebels. I had a 350D before and without a vertical grip it is very unstable and uncomfortable. The plastic body which makes the 60D lighter is not really a bad thing on my list either.

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 03:00:23 AM »
It wouldn't make sense to give the 70D the old sensor. That would mean the 70D would be stuck with obsolete technology until 2015. That's just ridiculous and I hope Canon is smart enough to know that.

the XXD line is for enthusiasts and semi-pros and those buyers are savvy enough to know when they're getting garbage. I think to compete with the D7100 Canon has to bring its new sensor with improved dynamic range and noise performance in the 70D, have AFMA, 100% viewfinder, at least 6fps, and built in wi-fi.

I can also hope for 1080p 60p video, built in timelapse and hdr modes, better weather sealing, and a 2x crop mode like the D7100.

VanWeddings

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • VanWeddings: Vancouver Wedding Photographer, Vancouver Wedding Videos
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 03:11:23 AM »
It wouldn't make sense to give the 70D the old sensor. That would mean the 70D would be stuck with obsolete technology until 2015. That's just ridiculous and I hope Canon is smart enough to know that.

the XXD line is for enthusiasts and semi-pros and those buyers are savvy enough to know when they're getting garbage. I think to compete with the D7100 Canon has to bring its new sensor with improved dynamic range and noise performance in the 70D, have AFMA, 100% viewfinder, at least 6fps, and built in wi-fi.

I can also hope for 1080p 60p video, built in timelapse and hdr modes, better weather sealing, and a 2x crop mode like the D7100.

so hoping you are right. if it's just a souped up t4i it's a definite pass.

but there's no way canon puts in 1080p60 video. that would make it too good, and canon's number one fear is making something that's too good

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 05:33:48 AM »
It wouldn't make sense to give the 70D the old sensor. That would mean the 70D would be stuck with obsolete technology until 2015.

I would say so. New sensor tech in the 70D can be taken as a sign for Canon's general improvement in sensor tech. And it gives us a faint idea about how FF sensors might improve. My 5D3 is a great cam. Looking at its output sometimes even above ISO 25k (getting great pics even at 51k) I guess that there's some space for IQ improvement. So whatever further improvement we'll see within the next 3 to 4 years starts now. With new sensortech in the 70D.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:38:40 AM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 05:33:48 AM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 05:46:44 AM »

I would say so. New sensor tech in the 70D can be taken as a sign for Canon's general improvement in sensor tech.
With new sensortech in the 70D.

nice to see that some people still have dreams.  ;D

Peerke

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photo Amora
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »
If the 70D will be build like 7D or my old 40D and have much improved IQ, I will even consider downgrading my 7D  :P. Although I will miss the FPS probably.

7D, 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, EF-S 18-135, EF 70-200 f/4 IS, EF 35 f2.0, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 100 f/2.0, Sigma 150, Speedlite 430 II

McTography

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
This is more of general topic question, but if you the 70D does get wifi/gps, what does that actually mean? What are the features of wifi on a dslr?  Can you post right to facebook/instagram?  Do your photo's auto import/sync to your computer?  Is it really anything that great outside the social media benefits?

I'm trying to think of the advantages of having wifi and I can't think of anything more that what i mentioned above.  It doesn't seem like a necessary feature on a DSLR, at least for people who take photography to a step above "point and shoot."  I would imagine for a point and shoot camera WIFI is probably mandatory these days because rarely are people doing post production.  I'm sure these points have been beaten to death but just looking for some advantages of wifi on my dslr...

wrlphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 10:50:11 AM »
This is more of general topic question, but if you the 70D does get wifi/gps, what does that actually mean? What are the features of wifi on a dslr?  Can you post right to facebook/instagram?  Do your photo's auto import/sync to your computer?  Is it really anything that great outside the social media benefits?

I'm trying to think of the advantages of having wifi and I can't think of anything more that what i mentioned above.  It doesn't seem like a necessary feature on a DSLR, at least for people who take photography to a step above "point and shoot."  I would imagine for a point and shoot camera WIFI is probably mandatory these days because rarely are people doing post production.  I'm sure these points have been beaten to death but just looking for some advantages of wifi on my dslr...

It's something I actually would love to see. to me the point would be to synch it to my phone so that I can use my phone as a remote screen and adjust exposure and hit the shutter without touching the camera. Would be great for HDR shots where you may need more than 3 shots of bracketing and this will guarantee you wont budge the camera at all. Or just useful for remote shooting in general - exposures of multiple minutes without needing to plug into a computer would be awesome.

Peerke

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photo Amora
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2013, 11:00:42 AM »

What about sending your pictures straight to the computer, which will show them "instant" on a big (TV) screen. People like to see themself on big screens during an event  8).
7D, 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, EF-S 18-135, EF 70-200 f/4 IS, EF 35 f2.0, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 100 f/2.0, Sigma 150, Speedlite 430 II

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »
At $1200 or so, that doesn't beat the D7100 on paper, per se, but given recent history, it would be competitive enough. If Canon goes nuts and releases it at $1000 or something, it sounds like a great deal.
Seeing as they release the Ti series at $999, I can't imagine the 70D being released even close to that price range. The 60D listed at $1099 as the spec'd down version of the 50D. If it's going back up, so will the list price...$1299 if Canon is feeling nice, $1400+ if they aren't. 7DII probably will list around what the 6D does.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »

jeffa4444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 12:48:56 PM »
At last year Focus on Imaging at the NEC Birmingham, UK Canon had the 5D MKIII which was a complete surprise, this year show starts on Sunday 3rd March I wonder if the EOS 60D replacement will turn up there?
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

wrlphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »
That would be awesome. I checked that show's website and it seems like canon has the biggest booth there. I hope they come out with something good soon as I want to replace my 40D and would like to not have to switch to nikon but the d7100 and d600 both are really tempting...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »