September 01, 2014, 11:14:40 PM

Author Topic: New DSLR at the End of March [CR2]  (Read 18676 times)

JoeDavid

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: New DSLR at the End of March [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
I doubt that Canon will release anything that threatens the Nikon D7100 if it delivers on the image quality that is being claimed.  The few sample images look pretty good.  If Nikon has indeed worked around the moiré problem and no longer needs an AA filter, the images will be sharper than anything Canon will put out there in a 70D.  It's unclear to me whether their solution is a change in the sensor itself or purely in firmware/software...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »
I have a 60D and a 5DmkII, seriously . . . all we need is digicV, that dual MFA . . . and maybe a touch of better usable high-iso.

For all the moaning about this camera, it's all come from people that didn't buy/use it.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
Not for another month, huh? Well, at least there will be something way before the 7D Mark II!

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
I think this is going to be a SWEET camera.  I LOVE my 50D and feel it can only really be improved without a huge leap in price would be better ISO performance at the high-end.  The highest useable ISO on it is 1600.  3200 would be very good and 6400 would be great!  Add WiFi and it would be a long-term keeper.  I would consider replacing the 50D with the 70D for my walkabout camera.  But the 50D is just too good to spend another $600/net for 1 - 2 stops in ISO performance and WiFi...
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

thomas2279@hotmail.com

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 03:14:09 PM »
Looking good to be returning to build of 40d/50d hope it is in same body as the 7d and would come with Wi-fi and GPS like the great 6D.

Hope Nikon is following and release a D400 with those 2 features Wi-fi & Gps without coughing up few hundred ££ for optional extras and also giving some pressure to Canon to release the Canon 7d MK 2.

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
I think of new sensor, touchscreen and WiFi, that's it.
direct post to FB button would be nice too  ;D

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
I think of new sensor, touchscreen and WiFi, that's it.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if they basically made it a 7D with a swivel screen (and wifi/gps). They can still incorporate that screen into a 50D/7D style body.

I'm not expecting a new sensor, though it'll be really embarassing if they don't have a new one. Hopefully they roll out a new one that will trickle down to the T5i, and the 7DII gets its own special thing.

It will no doubt have a new sensor.  The question is will the sensor be from a new technology cycle i.e. 180nm or will it be some incremental improvement on the old.  For example 6d like improvements over 5d3.  Sadly I expect the latter but if the former it may give
some clues into the 7d.  However since all indications are that 7d2 will be a bug splash, this really increases the interest in what exactly canon will show in the 70d without stealing too much thunder from the 7d2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »
And we are assuming that the "new DSLR in  March" is 70d.  Maybe we should start a cr1 rumor that it will be 7d2!  Lol

TeenTog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Teen Tog
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
One of the major complaints about the 60D is the high ISO performance, so im guesing that Canon will probably have to develop a new sensor to deal withthat. No, because it's not full-frame, It wont be close to the %D3 or 1DX, but it should at least be better (acceptable images att 6400?). Anyway, Since its a big step up from the 60D, it'll be interesting to see whether they include one or two Dig!c V processors, and what the frame rate will look like.
Rebel T3, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.8, 430EX II, Nikon EL 2, Assorted Nikkor primes

pierlux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
And we are assuming that the "new DSLR in  March" is 70d.  Maybe we should start a cr1 rumor that it will be 7d2!  Lol
Mhhh... What about it being the entry level 1100D/T3 replacement instead? That would be a cold shower for all of us that can't wait putting our hands on a (hopefully amazing) 7D2 or 70D. I'm afraid we'll see the 7D2 in 2014, maybe announced end 2013. I think the 2013 dSLRs are going to be the 1100D/T3, 60D and 650D/T4i replacements, in this order. I hope I'm wrong.

EvillEmperor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »
Since I just got a 5D MK III with 24-105, I won't be able to buy any camera stuff until I graduate. But I am still interested in what goes on.
Canon 5D MK III, Canon T2i, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS, Canon 24-105, Canon 100 macro, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 430EX II, Canon 28-135mm (sold)

ITshooter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
I could see the 70D being what an incremental update to what the 7D might have been.

If Canon is about to introduce a new sensor technology in the 7D Mk II, there's no reason not to throw the best of the outgoing generation's tech at the 70D. I have no idea how much improvement's possible, but Canon managed to milk sensor-level improvements moving between the 1Ds Mk III/ 5D Mk II sensors to the 5D Mk III/ 1D X sensors. Since all of those models were derived from the same process, I think it's reasonable to assume Canon can produce an improved ASP-C sensor without dipping into 7D Mk II tech. And that's just hardware-level tech. If they decide to throw a 5+ chip in, it might be a decent performer, even by modern standards. It won't be able to reach Nikon's dynamic range but if it competes on resolution and offers superior or equal low light, it will be the best APS-C sensor Canon has produced to date, and a legitimate reason for many Rebel, XXD and 7D shooters to upgrade.

The 70D could also have: the 7D's AF, All-I and IPB video codecs at the typical frame rates, tele/wide AFMA, WiFi, GPS, 7 fps, build quality similar to the 50D, various perks like built-in HDR, etc.

At $1200 or so, that doesn't beat the D7100 on paper, per se, but given recent history, it would be competitive enough. If Canon goes nuts and releases it at $1000 or something, it sounds like a great deal.

The 7D Mark II, meanwhile, could debut the allegedly awesome new sensor tech. It could also have robust build and sealing, 1D X/ 5D Mark III-style AF, 10 fps, and maybe even the 1D X metering. Several rumors have mentioned video, which makes one imagine Canon's going beyond the status quo here. This could be anything from 1080p at 60fps to better resolution (e.g. the 1D C Super 35 crop mode). This theoretical 7D Mk II would be an obvious upgrade for holdout 7D owners. It would also compel attention from the video crowd, even if they already have 5D Mark IIIs. More importantly, it would do so without stepping on the C line's toes. It would also be a nice jump for advanced Rebel users, as well as 60D holdouts. And I could see lots of full frame owners picking up one of these as a second body.

I don't have a speck of evidence for any of this. But it seems reasonable enough to me, and if my intuition is correct, I'd consider the 70D a respectable camera. Not cutting edge but a solid step up for a lot of current users.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:39:42 PM by ITshooter »
Cameras - 5D Mark III, 60D, EOS-M; Primes - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro; Zooms - Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/4 L

pierlux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 10:42:25 PM »
I could see the 70D being what an incremental update to what the 7D might have been.

If Canon is about to introduce a new sensor technology in the 7D Mk II, there's no reason not to throw the best of the outgoing generation's tech at the 70D. I have no idea how much improvement's possible, but Canon managed to milk sensor-level improvements moving between the 1Ds Mk III/ 5D Mk II sensors to the 5D Mk III/ 1D X sensors. Since all of those models were derived from the same process, I think it's reasonable to assume Canon can produce an improved ASP-C sensor without dipping into 7D Mk II tech. And that's just hardware-level tech. If they decide to throw a 5+ chip in, it might be a decent performer, even by modern standards. It won't be able to reach Nikon's dynamic range but if it competes on resolution and offers superior or equal low light, it will be the best APS-C sensor Canon has produced to date, and a legitimate reason for many Rebel, XXD and 7D shooters to upgrade.

The 70D could also have: the 7D's AF, All-I and IPB video codecs at the typical frame rates, tele/wide AFMA, WiFi, GPS, 7 fps, build quality similar to the 50D, various perks like built-in HDR, etc.

At $1200 or so, that doesn't beat the D7100 on paper, per se, but given recent history, it would be competitive enough. If Canon goes nuts and releases it at $1000 or something, it sounds like a great deal.

The 7D Mark II, meanwhile, could debut the allegedly awesome new sensor tech. It could also have robust build and sealing, 1D X/ 5D Mark III-style AF, 10 fps, and maybe even the 1D X metering. Several rumors have mentioned video, which makes one imagine Canon's going beyond the status quo here. This could be anything from 1080p at 60fps to better resolution (e.g. the 1D C Super 35 crop mode). This theoretical 7D Mk II would be an obvious upgrade for holdout 7D owners. It would also compel attention from the video crowd, even if they already have 5D Mark IIIs. More importantly, it would do so without stepping on the C line's toes. It would also be a nice jump for advanced Rebel users, as well as 60D holdouts. And I could see lots of full frame owners picking up one of these as a second body.

I don't have a speck of evidence for any of this. But it seems reasonable enough to me, and if my intuition is correct, I'd consider the 70D a respectable camera. Not cutting edge but a solid step up for a lot of current users.

I agree, makes perfect sense to me. Except that I think Canon will try to match Nikon's 24 MP at least with one of the APS-C cameras, likely the 70D, and it seems rather unlikely they can milk IQ improvements from a denser sensor with the current tech. They did it with the current FF cameras, but without shrinking pixels. I would be very pleased to finally see differentiation in Canon's crop dSLRs sensors, as it is now for FF. Should the rumored high MP FF come out, there'll be 4 different FF sensors, why not the same for APS-C?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 10:42:25 PM »

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »

Excellent analysis. Agree on all accounts.

Canon will likely put a new 20mp sensor in the 70D, based on their old tech.
Later, they will put this sensor in the new Rebel, the GX2, and the EOS-M.

The new sensor tech will likely be introduced in 7DII.
That's what makes the most sense, at least.
Canon might surely have other plans.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 11:30:26 PM »

This very well could be the story.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 11:30:26 PM »