April 20, 2014, 03:23:59 AM

Author Topic: New DSLR at the End of March [CR2]  (Read 17111 times)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: New DSLR at the End of March [CR2]
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
Weeks before the 5diii release, there was a heck of a lot more rumormill buzz than this....
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »

Cali_PH

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 03:58:54 PM »
This is more of general topic question, but if you the 70D does get wifi/gps, what does that actually mean? What are the features of wifi on a dslr?  Can you post right to facebook/instagram?  Do your photo's auto import/sync to your computer?  Is it really anything that great outside the social media benefits?

I'm trying to think of the advantages of having wifi and I can't think of anything more that what i mentioned above.  It doesn't seem like a necessary feature on a DSLR, at least for people who take photography to a step above "point and shoot."  I would imagine for a point and shoot camera WIFI is probably mandatory these days because rarely are people doing post production.  I'm sure these points have been beaten to death but just looking for some advantages of wifi on my dslr...

What about sending your pictures straight to the computer, which will show them "instant" on a big (TV) screen. People like to see themself on big screens during an event  8).

That's good for people shooting with clients watching.  I'm not a pro, but I've seen fashion/portrait photogs say they'd like to use it for that. 

Also, monitoring star trails or similar shots while your warm and comfortable in your car/house/etc., easier focusing and framing when getting yourself in a shot (you can change some settings like aperture, ISO, focus etc. with the canon app); easier to get a difficult angle shot (camera low and pointed up, or high and pointed down); some animal photogs have said they'd use it to set up a camera somewhere and monitor from further away in a blind to shoot.

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 04:48:43 PM »
I don't have a speck of evidence for any of this. But it seems reasonable enough to me, and if my intuition is correct, I'd consider the 70D a respectable camera. Not cutting edge but a solid step up for a lot of current users.

Excellent analysis. Agree on all accounts.

Canon will likely put a new 20mp sensor in the 70D, based on their old tech.
Later, they will put this sensor in the new Rebel, the GX2, and the EOS-M.

The new sensor tech will likely be introduced in 7DII.
That's what makes the most sense, at least.
Canon might surely have other plans.

yup I'm expecting an incremental new sensor based on legacy process for the 70D as well, which will make this camera a big yawn for IQ,  even if it does return to the 40D build quality with the addition of 6D-like gps and wifi, with dumbed down sufficiently to make room for the 7D2.    But if Canon wanted to shake things up they could do one or more of the following

* introduce a 70D next month with 180nm process sensor in the low-20s MP but aimed at the high mp race for those who dont really care or understand the consequences of high pixel density.   this would show their cards for the 7D2 of course, stealing some of its thunder which is to "revolutionalize" the crop segement (as undefined as that concept still is).  I'm not expecting this to happen, but if it does, then the "revolutionary" aspect of the 7D2 will then be more than a today's 7D with a  new sensor plus gps and wifi.

* the March DSLR could be the 7D2.  this is unlikely of course, given the chatter but it would certainly shake things up!

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »
What about sending your pictures straight to the computer, which will show them "instant" on a big (TV) screen. People like to see themself on big screens during an event  8).

if you are willing to showcase your keeper rate and display all of your non-keepers... that would work.   

OmarSV11

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Omar Sierralta
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 04:59:55 PM »
Is this new DSLR the reason why the 6D is going lower and lower in price (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160931538455&item=160931538455&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466)? Maybe the 70D with FF sensor like I read earlier from another user? I see no other reason, why would a freshly released camera have a dive in price, unless there is something that must accommodate the actual retail price it has... Anyway the cheaper the 6D goes the better for me :S I need a more pro-sumer to pro camera, and the MkIII is beyond my budget.

Peerke

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2013, 01:07:33 AM »

if you are willing to showcase your keeper rate and display all of your non-keepers... that would work.

I will never do, since I'm just an amature and will never do event photography, but I once saw a guy with a setup like that. Although not all pictures were that good, people just don't care (or look) and are in awe of what they see on the screen, specially if they are on it themself.
There are so many people out there getting payed for the job just because they have a big camera and some other fancy stuff to show, not because they make good pictures and only show post processed keepers.
Compare it with music. There is a small percentage of people listening to music, they will never settle for MP3, but the majority out there don't care (or hear) because they are not listening.
People at events most of the time don't look at the pictures but just see them.
7D, 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, EF 70-200 f/4 IS, EF400 f/5.6, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50 f/1.8 II, Sigma 150, Speedlite 430 II

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2013, 08:51:31 AM »
This is more of general topic question, but if you the 70D does get wifi/gps, what does that actually mean? What are the features of wifi on a dslr?  ...

...  I'm sure these points have been beaten to death but just looking for some advantages of wifi on my dslr...

WiFi done right allows you to send photos to a smart phone or a connected tablet. Then the file can be sent anywhere on the 'net. Besides the social network, an editorial photographer can shoot a job (breaking news, etc) and email the photos immediately to the client. Camera to smart phone to client -- simple as that. Panasonic GH3 owners are doing it even as we speak :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:54:02 AM by c.d.embrey »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2013, 08:51:31 AM »

AdamJ

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2013, 09:17:34 AM »
It seems to me that almost all new Canon DSLRs are underwhelming on paper, yet better in real-world use than the specs initially suggested. Pretty much the opposite of Nikon.

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2013, 11:44:10 PM »
This is more of general topic question, but if you the 70D does get wifi/gps, what does that actually mean? What are the features of wifi on a dslr?  Can you post right to facebook/instagram?  Do your photo's auto import/sync to your computer?  Is it really anything that great outside the social media benefits?

I'm trying to think of the advantages of having wifi and I can't think of anything more that what i mentioned above.  It doesn't seem like a necessary feature on a DSLR, at least for people who take photography to a step above "point and shoot."  I would imagine for a point and shoot camera WIFI is probably mandatory these days because rarely are people doing post production.  I'm sure these points have been beaten to death but just looking for some advantages of wifi on my dslr...
Think of tethering your camera to a computer with EOS Utility..... only no cord. Remote control over camera controls.... Hook the camera up to a telescope and monitor without laying in the wet grass.... set the camera up by the bird feeder and taking close up shots without a $12,000 lens....  transfering pictures is only the start...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:43:06 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2013, 12:33:59 AM »

That'd be awesome to wirelessly send my photos to the jumbotron.  Just, awesome.

iP337

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2013, 05:35:43 AM »
So, will Canon actually try to compete with Nikon this time (in the $1000 range) or will they pull another "6D move" and demand $1500 for a slightly updated 7D with wifi?
I think for Canon to keep my vote they need to address the following with this new DSLR;

1. Price, the Nikon D7100 and D5200 are proving to be great cameras in the $1000 range (give or take a $100 or 2).  Also the Panasonic GH3 is another great camera to be had int his range.

2. Noise patterns, I'm aware APS-C won't reach the same low-light performance as "Full Frame" but everyone else's is getting acceptably close, I expect usable ISO 3200 this time.

3. Clean HDMI out, Canon is now the only one without it and they've proved that they are holding it back with firmware so they really shouldn't have an excuse to omit it.

4. Video Moire, it's low on most of the new cameras and this is where the 6D and T4i are failing so Canon needs another win to equal the others in this department with a camera other than the $3000 5D3.

I expect this "70D" to be a 7D with wifi and a slightly lower build quality with a reduction of minor features (1/4000th shutter, 1/200th flash sync, 5fps, SD card slot, no PC sync and no headphone jack) but I hope they took steps (no line-skipping) to make this the best APS-C video DSLR.  That would leave the 7D2 to try and be the best APS-C sport/wildlife camera (hopefully with a built-in 2x crop mode like the D7100 but with 10fps and all cross-type AF points :D).  The 6D's greatest weakness (video moire) could be the 70D's greatest strength, since we know it won't be low-light performance or fast photos.

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
So, will Canon actually try to compete with Nikon this time (in the $1000 range)
I doubt it, but hope springs eternal. :)

1. Price, the Nikon D7100 and D5200 are proving to be great cameras in the $1000 range (give or take a $100 or 2).  Also the Panasonic GH3 is another great camera to be had int his range.
For some people, the Panasonic GH3 will replace APS-C.

I expect this "70D" to be a 7D with wifi and a slightly lower build quality with a reduction of minor features (1/4000th shutter, 1/200th flash sync, ...
The Canon 40D had a 30 - 1/8000 sec shutter and a Flash X-Sync of 1/250 sec. Why would the NEW 70D have specs worse than a camera released in 2007 ???

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2013, 03:47:52 PM »
The Canon 40D had a 30 - 1/8000 sec shutter and a Flash X-Sync of 1/250 sec. Why would the NEW 70D have specs worse than a camera released in 2007 ???
Because the flash sync on the 6D is 1/180 and 5D3 is 1/200, so, no way the 70D would go beyond the 5dIII. I'm not sure I agree with the 1/4000th, but, it seems to be the way both Canon and Nikon are differentiating lines (D600/D800 and 5D3/6D). Wouldn't surprise me if the 70D had 1/4000th, leaving the 1/8000th for the 7dII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2013, 03:47:52 PM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »
Because the flash sync on the 6D is 1/180 and 5D3 is 1/200, so, no way the 70D would go beyond the 5dIII. I'm not sure I agree with the 1/4000th, but, it seems to be the way both Canon and Nikon are differentiating lines (D600/D800 and 5D3/6D). Wouldn't surprise me if the 70D had 1/4000th, leaving the 1/8000th for the 7dII

It might stay at 1/250.  APS-Cs have smaller sensors, so it is less demanding requirement for the shutter assembly.  The 60D and 7D have faster sync speeds than the 5D III already...

I'm hoping the 70D will be closer to the 7D II than the 4Ti.  The Ti line gets refreshed more often than the xxD and xD lines, so in 3 or 4 years, the Rebels can approach the 70D in specs in time for the 70D to be refreshed.

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2013, 04:57:43 PM »
That's one thing I liked about the 1D4; the 1/300 flash sync speed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2013, 04:57:43 PM »