October 20, 2014, 02:32:19 PM

Author Topic: Hi =) -- Need New Camera -- Need Advice  (Read 2951 times)

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Hi =) -- Need New Camera -- Need Advice
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
My 70-200 f/2.8 is the non-IS model, so I can't exactly replicate that video.

However, I just tried the same thing with my 400 f/2.8 II, which should have a very similar IS system, and it's solid as a rock. Both with the lens on a solid surface similar to the test in the video and handheld.

(I still get a kick out of hand-holding a 400mm lens at 1/8 second and getting no motion blur....)

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »
Funny to come across this topic. I posted that video actually.

I have yet to take it into Canon, but the issue definitely isnt the mirror. The sound of it might be weird because the mic on my iphone actually.

Just to answer some questions, when I typically need IS the most is around 1/30th of a second at 200mm. I've noticed anything slower than 125th shows blur from the IS shifting. So at 1/30th the shots are worse than if i were to use it without IS.

Now the video isn't meant to scare off potential 5D III buyers, because in fact I love the camera. It's been one of the most exciting bodies to use for Wedding Photography. I just couldn't find any info on my issue which I believe is related to my copy of the lens so I had to make my own video which I showed to Canon. So until I can get it looked at by Canon I have no further answers.

Full Frame FTW.

I have 2 5Dmk3 bodies and 2 70-200f2.8L IS II lenses I havent noticed this on any combo yet however i have been mostly using them handheld or on a monopod. I havent been looking for this but do have images where I dont understand why they were not sharp I'll have to have a look and see if I can notice this
APS-H Fanboy

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
Funny to come across this topic. I posted that video actually.

I have yet to take it into Canon, but the issue definitely isnt the mirror. The sound of it might be weird because the mic on my iphone actually.

Just to answer some questions, when I typically need IS the most is around 1/30th of a second at 200mm. I've noticed anything slower than 125th shows blur from the IS shifting. So at 1/30th the shots are worse than if i were to use it without IS.

Now the video isn't meant to scare off potential 5D III buyers, because in fact I love the camera. It's been one of the most exciting bodies to use for Wedding Photography. I just couldn't find any info on my issue which I believe is related to my copy of the lens so I had to make my own video which I showed to Canon. So until I can get it looked at by Canon I have no further answers.

Full Frame FTW.

Good vid btw. I THINK (this is just a thought) it may be the lens IS not communicating with the body correctly. I know with my 200 f/2 I had to send it into canon when I got my 5d3 due to IS issues. Does this show up with every lens or just the 70-200 MkII? I could not replicate it in any of my lenses (8-15 fish, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 mk II, 50 1.4, 100 IS macro 2.8 200 f/2 and 400 f/2.8 or 40 pancake)

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »
OK...I did a test (exactly like the video), with my 5D III and my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II and it is as solid as a Rock... ;D
(thought it was..but ya never know).
I am guessing that the person that owns the 5D III and Zoom Lens in the video that galangel shared with us has an issue with either his lens or his camera...like was said above ...that the IS is not communicating properly with the 5DIII body...and since the lens works fine on the other body...I am guessing he has an issue with that specific 5DIII body. Wonder if he checked any other lenses with IS on that camera body?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:57:36 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 11:53:25 PM »
The MK3 is the way to go, as a previous 7D user, the AF is simply sublime.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 12:53:43 AM »
Hi how is everyone ?

last week I came back from Rome without my camera... because it was Stolen from me =(
It was a 7D with 15 85 lens
Was taken right out of my hands at the "saint maria ella vitoria chaple" .
I'm kind of crippled so running and looking for the thief was no option for me.

so now... i'm scratching money for new camera, but this time I want one with Full Frame .
I love getting good shots without using flash so i was thinking about 5dmk3
I was also saving money for new lens, the 70-200 Lii 2.8 ,   but ,
I came across this video Canon 5D III x 70-200 2.8 IS II issue
what do you think ?

That's a very bad experience! I'm sorry for you and yes, pics are the main loss in such a case... BTW, there are handstraps available you can fix around your wrist...according to your preferencies. Here in Switzerland, your extended insurance on household items includes theft abroad.
On a side note: we should be able to attach a kind of a keyboard or cellphone to a DSLR and put it under password. So it would become plainly useless for any jerk who takes it out of our hands...
Concerning the new cam: I'd go for the 5D3. Coming from a 30D I am still awestruck!  8) It is such a versatile allround body! And as you are taking pictures inside Cathedrals and other dimly lighted buildings: ISO 12800 is a no brainer for things like that. Cheers, Pedro
You may crank up the ISOs even higher, if one's crazy enough as I am. See the photographs I've taken recently.

Z96A3506bTLKLEINBW by Peter Hauri, on Flickr

Shooting my Cat at ISO 51k by Peter Hauri, on Flickr
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 01:23:05 AM »
If you have short listed 5D MK III and the 70-200 L IS II, I see no reason why you should be concerned. Like thomasl4 (the person who originally made that video) said, that "the video isn't meant to scare off potential 5D III buyers, because in fact I love the camera. It's been one of the most exciting bodies to use for Wedding Photography" ... just like your camera was stolen out of bad luck, thomasl4 too got one of those very rare quirky 5D MK III's that sneaked out of Canon's production line with a minor defect (if I may call it that). After watching that video I tested my 5D MK III with the 70-200 L IS II and I did not find any such problems, it was rock steady. Don't be too concerned about that video (it is one of those very rare problems), your choice to go with 5D MK III & 70-200 combo is excellent ... you should go fit it.
Sorry to hear about your stolen camera ... I recently lost my brand new 24-70 f/2.8 MKII, so I can somewhat understand how must be feeling, but mine was only the lens, but you seem to have lost the images too (don't you transfer your images to your computer everyday? ... especially on vacation I transfer all my images to my laptop at the end of the day, as well as make a back up in a portable hard disk).
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 01:23:05 AM »

Stig

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 04:21:17 AM »
About the 6d,
I'm reading really bad reviews about the camera and its build qulity and I fear that I'l be missing the "Canon Feel" Which I loved so much and the reason I never Used Straps. you might think that thats stupid reason to judge camera and not by her specs But Had really Good bonding with my 7D =)

Well, I think it might help you to go to a shop and check whether you feel the canon feel  :)
before I got mine, I went to a store and held it (there was also a 5DII and 7D to compare it with, it didn't feel bad, just maybe a tiny bit smaller than I would like it, but a grip helps there)... I didn't do that with my first DSLR (350D) and when it arrived I was shocked how small it is  :)

And then, it depends on where you live and what is the price difference between 6D and 5dIII (plus, as mentioned, if you need (want) the AF of the 5DIII (mainly) and if its worth the extra for you)
and anyway, sorry to hear about your experience, I hate such thieves, vandals...
but good luck with your new camera, happy shooting however you solve your dilemma :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:22:50 AM by Stig »
6D,   350D,  24-105 f4,   50 f1.8, 135mm f2, 14mm f2.8, Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6,   430EX II,   Godox TT520,   etc...

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 08:46:20 AM »
There are two simple photo backup methods that I use together when I am away from my main photo PC for more than a day.

1. Use smaller CF or SD cards and swap them out often.  Minimize the potential loss from loss or failure.

2.  Use a NEXTO Backup Device.  I take this on all trips that last longer than a weekend.  I take it to summer camps and other outdoor places where I have limited access to power and the battery worked fine to not only back up my 1000's of RAW images but all the other participants' images.  I have tried several devices like this and this device is foolproof, fast and convenient.  The battery lasts a long time, it transfers images off the card faster than anything else I've used and most important - it works every time.  No complicated menus, reboots or failures.  It's does its primary job to perfection and doesn't try to be anything else that requires more software or battery life.  You can easily use whatever 2.5" hard drive or SSD you like.  (I'm probably going to upgrade mine from the 500G HD to a large SSD sometime.)

I have this one (w USB + eSATA):  http://www.nextodi.co.kr/en/product/eXtreme_en.html
Here is another (w USB + FW 800):  http://www.nextodiusa.com/photo2.html
Read the reviews: http://tinyurl.com/cncne8v    http://tinyurl.com/d7snuz4
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »
FWIW, since I probably can't get the 007 burglar protection on my next DSLR, I would support having an optional security lock code setting that must be entered daily (or some configurable time) similar to a cell phone.  Then have Canon and/or a 3rd party company keep good track of the serial numbers so if someone called in for repair, they could potentially be caught and the camera returned.  (Yeah I know, all of this is a pipe dream, even the lock code.)

Since I'm dreaming, I would also like some kind of product or integrated feature that would allow you to track it similar to a child tracker necklace but more integrated or at least have something that could go in the photo bag in case it gets lifted.  I have considered getting some kind of proximity alarm that sounds if the alarm device moves out of range from me and I might know which direction it went.  But that's another discussion.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »