April 20, 2014, 03:06:26 PM

Author Topic: Lets Play Chess  (Read 7174 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Lets Play Chess
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »

I hear Canon won. A couple of gents at LensRentals.com got bored during their move to new digs and decided to play some chess!

Canon won the game with a Fischer like performance.

I know what you’re thinking. Can you rent this chess set? The answer is yes!

For $7654.75 you can rent this chess for a 4 days, this will include the damage insurance for when you knock your king over after a terrible loss.

What about buying it? Sure can! $151,202.17 you can buy the pieces necessary to do this at home. As LensRentals.com mentions, buy now before the new Canon supertelephotos hit the market. The price will skyrocket. To entice you even more, they’ll throw in a free t-shirt!

Read More: Blog Post | Rental Post

cr

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:28:28 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Lets Play Chess
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
Re: Lets Play Chess
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:44:03 AM »
How cool is that?

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:59:40 AM »
Absolutely hilarious!!!!

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
the free t-shirt swings it...  where's my credit card!!

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »
Am I the only one who's noticed the King/Queen are the wrong way around?

(queen on her own colour, king on the different colour)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »

There is no rule in chess that I know of that requires you to move the queen only to a space with her color.  This is taking during the game when pieces are obviously not in their original positions.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
You know, I think I finally found a use for those STUPID lens mugs!

What a great idea (not actually using lenses for chess). ;)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »

WarStreet

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 11:14:01 AM »
Being a chess player myself, I really like this !! Very cool  8)

Trying to imagine myself playing a game with those heavy pieces !!

And yes, the first thing noticed is that they wrongly switched the King and Queen position.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »

There is no rule in chess that I know of that requires you to move the queen only to a space with her color.  This is taking during the game when pieces are obviously not in their original positions.

yeah, but on the lensrentals page you can see that they were set up wrong from the shots at the beginning of the game.
maybe i'm just a nerd.

how many different types of mugs are there? i've only seen the 70-200 and 24-70 mugs before.

(actually, if someone makes a 600mm 'mug', i think a beer-chugging competition would be more fun than chess)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »

Dr Croubie is correct, the board setup is wrong.  Yes, it's during play, but given that pawns move only forward, there's no way for the white king and queen to have switched positions at this point in the game.  Clearly, though they are experts when it comes to camera gear, when it comes to chess, the folks at lensrentals are ROOKies (sorry, it just slipped out).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 01:01:11 PM »

Dr Croubie is correct, the board setup is wrong.  Yes, it's during play, but given that pawns move only forward, there's no way for the white king and queen to have switched positions at this point in the game.  Clearly, though they are experts when it comes to camera gear, when it comes to chess, the folks at lensrentals are ROOKies (sorry, it just slipped out).

I admit i'm a ROOKie in chess but I'd love to play this game... Now I just have to convince my wife to let me buy haha.   
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 03:38:30 PM »
great photos and fun post ... this is the kind of non-rumor post that I enjoy seeing.  sure beats firmware updates

WarStreet

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »

The actual rule is that the board has to be positioned so that when you are looking at it, the bottom left corner is black which is referred to as dark.  You rarely play with black squares, they make eyes tired. Green is good color for non wood boards.

Then, the White Queen is positioned on the 4th file from left (D-File), and Black Queen positioned on the 5th file from left (D-file) and in both situations it ends up to be the same color of the Queen, that's why the shortcut saying of the Queen on her own color, but the board has to be positioned correctly, otherwise would be still wrong, even if the queens are on their own color.

Now, what about ROOKies ? is this an American word, the equivalent of noob ? I spent years playing Counterstrike and I know well the word noob, but I spent a lifetime playing chess and never heard of ROOKies  :P At least I can say that Canonrumors is helping me to learn 'English' well :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:36:15 AM by WarStreet »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 09:19:33 PM »
The work rookie has been around for a long time, its origins are from the word recruit.  It was used to talked about first season athletes because they were just recruited.  It is still most commonly used in sports talk, but can still refer to a noob (newbie) in just about anything.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 10:11:51 PM »
There is definitely one good thing about playing chess with these big white/black lenses: the angry sibling who just lost a match would not be able to hurl the chessboard/chess pieces in anger  ;D
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 10:11:51 PM »