October 25, 2014, 06:21:50 PM

Author Topic: Portfolio  (Read 5119 times)

Emeyerphoto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Erik Meyer Photography
Portfolio
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:38:40 PM »
Greetings,

I am a new photographer and would like to start sending out "my book" to potential clients and I am lost on where to find a place that specializes in these books.  I don't want a blurb book, because I would like something that I can constantly tailor the images, and order of images around so a post style book would be ideal.  Can you as fellow photographers point me in the right direction where I can find a company that makes these books?

Thank you in advance,
5d Mk2, Canon 40d (backup), 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L

canon rumors FORUM

Portfolio
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:38:40 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 01:41:20 PM »
I've had great experiences with Adorama books. Check 'em out.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »

+1

Around here, local Kodak dealership provide a photo book at a very reasonable cost.

Personally, I have my portfolio on my iPad that can be kept up to date at all times. Great when meaning clients at their homes or businesses.

Cheers

1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Emeyerphoto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Erik Meyer Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »
I appreciate the information, but I don't want a photo book as the type Adorama sells since I would like to be able to arrange as necessary and I feel that these type of books are for consumers after their wedding or senior portrait session.

With the iPad, that may be a great idea if the clients you are to meet are in your local area and have the time to meet you, but I would like something that I can organize, take out or put in images in an order tailored to a prospective client or editor. 

I guess what I meant by photo book, is a photo binder, my apologies.
5d Mk2, Canon 40d (backup), 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »
It sounds like you want a photo album.  where you can insert, remove, or re-arrange pages. There are tons of them available, but they are used less and less by professionals, IPads have become very popular for what you want to do and the pages do not get dirty or tattered.  The advantage to using a Ipad is that you will also give the impression of being up to date with the latest technology rather than 1980 ish.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:26:45 PM »
I've always felt strongly about having a printed portfolio in a hard-cover book. Nothing has presence when they ask

"Can we see your commercial work in the past years?"

And you lay them a stunning Hard-cover book with full page prints. I also take a laptop too but I prefer to present a book.

bigmag13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »

+1
5D3,5D2,6D,70-200 2.8Lii, 135L, 24-70Lii, Sigma 15 fisheye, Sigma 35 1.4(A), Zeiss 2/50, 600rt x3 and a st-e3 RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »
I've always felt strongly about having a printed portfolio in a hard-cover book. Nothing has presence when they ask

"Can we see your commercial work in the past years?"

And you lay them a stunning Hard-cover book with full page prints. I also take a laptop too but I prefer to present a book.

Not doing this for a living, I think a blending of both approaches is ideal. A great hard-cover filled with amazing, full page prints says high-end and classy, while also having a tablet or similar device lets you keep it more up to date with newer images, more images, and let's them see what it will look like on Facebook.

You can say "here is my uber-awesome-ZOMG stuff", here's my great stuff which I keep fresh all the time. And by the way, here's what it look like when you email it to people.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »
+ 1 for the ipad or any other tablet

It's easy, always up to date, and it can be tailored for any client. Printed portfolios are also great but they also say "old" which may be fine for some clients, but its up to you to read them.

grahamclarkphoto

• Rebel SL1
  • Just a photographer who loves to travel.
    • View Profile
    • grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 02:20:44 AM »
Greetings,

I am a new photographer and would like to start sending out "my book" to potential clients and I am lost on where to find a place that specializes in these books.  I don't want a blurb book, because I would like something that I can constantly tailor the images, and order of images around so a post style book would be ideal.  Can you as fellow photographers point me in the right direction where I can find a company that makes these books?

Thank you in advance,

I just did a run of 200+ books through Apple's Aperture for galleries and exhibits. The quality is good and the price per copy is pretty low. Do at least 3 test runs before you commit to a quantity 100+.

For more information check out my blog post here: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/new-2013-book/

Graham

"Why limit yourself to what your eyes see when you have an opportunity to extend your vision?" - Edward Weston

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 04:42:35 AM »
I just did a run of 200+ books through Apple's Aperture for galleries and exhibits. The quality is good and the price per copy is pretty low. Do at least 3 test runs before you commit to a quantity 100+.

Graham

Looks nice, Graham. I personally would have put a border around each picture (on every page) to avoid it bleeding into the spine and edges of the page. But that's just personal choice.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 01:42:26 AM »
why not send out a link to a website that you can update frequently.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 01:42:26 AM »