July 30, 2014, 01:53:34 AM

Author Topic: Quick and Dirty comparison: Magic Lantern RAW video vs Canon ALL-I 1080p  (Read 1684 times)

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
I made this yesterday with some boring video I shot on my walk to breakfast.

I don't really do video much so please be gentle:
Private Video on Vimeo Small | Large

password is: "canonsucks"*

You can download the original file if you really want to pixel-peep!  I hope to shoot some more interesting subjects this weekend.  No more comparisons though, not wasting my time on stock Canon video anymore!

*calm down internet, it's a joke :)

canon rumors FORUM

Mantanuska

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Did you do any processing to the DNG files ? it would be nice if they had the same WB/saturation for comparison since ive been hearing some talk saying that the RAW video is sharper than what comes standard with the camera

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
I did about 5 seconds of processing on the dng’s, and so did LR since it’s impossible to not process a raw file?  Also, what is the point of shooting raw if you’re not going to process it?

There are plenty of comparisons much better than mine that are much more “calibrated”. 

I thought about the white balance, but I couldn’t get the .dng’s to look like the the out-of-camera video…so I just corrected the white balance how I would a still.

If you try to correct the white balance on the Canon ALL-I it falls apart pretty quickly.

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
I adjusted:
Black point
White balance
High lights
Exposure

I did not adjust:
Vibrance
Saturation
Sharpness
Clarity
etc

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I can't see the vid now, but I don't think it's necessary to do a comparison between these two, the raw is crushing it.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
I can't see the vid now, but I don't think it's necessary to do a comparison between these two, the raw is crushing it.

Agreed!  Here is a video I made using it from last weekend.  The last three shots are just plain 'ol Canon ALL-I...I was out of space on my only 1000X card by then and to switch to my 400X :(

https://vimeo.com/66866250

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Obviously the RAW is doing vastly better, but did you do any color grading on the ALL-I at all? That might help it look a bit better, although from what I understand it might take a bit longer than doing a quick import into Lightroom, tweak settings then sync across all frames and export.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM