September 21, 2014, 08:40:47 PM

Author Topic: On the 5DM3 what is the difference  (Read 3111 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
On the 5DM3 what is the difference
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »
Hi,

Not a rumor but a question about different settings on the 5D M3.

On selecting the AF area, there are two settings which seem to be identical

- Single Point Spot AF
  - Single Point AF

Description in the manual does not help. Is the difference the first mode, link the Spot metering to the AF point and in the second case the spot metering is always at the center AF point (whether or not it is the active AF point).

Thanks

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:20:48 PM by RGF »

canon rumors FORUM

On the 5DM3 what is the difference
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: On the 5DM3 what is the difference
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
Spot AF reduces the effective size of the AF point. With single point 'regular' AF, the actual AF point is quite a bit bigger than the little box in the VF (basically, the real points on the AF sensor almost touch).  Spot AF restricts the AF point size to only very slightly larger than the little box that represents it in the VF. Spot AF is useful for macro shooting, I also use it with small birds in thickets. It's bad for moving subjects.

On the 5DIII, spot metering is always in the center (only 1-series bodies can link spot metering to the selected AF point).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »
Spot AF reduces the effective size of the AF point. With single point 'regular' AF, the actual AF point is quite a bit bigger than the little box in the VF (basically, the real points on the AF sensor almost touch).  Spot AF restricts the AF point size to only very slightly larger than the little box that represents it in the VF. Spot AF is useful for macro shooting, I also use it with small birds in thickets. It's bad for moving subjects.

On the 5DIII, spot metering is always in the center (only 1-series bodies can link spot metering to the selected AF point).
+1
There are also some limitations to using spot AF so only use it if you really need it.  Its great for focusing on a bird in a situation where the AF might pickup the wrong thing to focus on, but in low light, AF is slower.

Here is a situation where spot AF can help, you do not want the camera to focus on the branches or flowers, just the bird. The focus is sharpest on the wing, but depth of field is enough so that she is pretty much all in focus.

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
THANKS

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 01:37:28 PM »
When you look through the view finder, the array of focus points is a matrix of small squares.  But each of those small squares also has an even smaller square in the center of it.  When using Single Point AF, you are using the larger, outer square for that point.  When using Single Point Spot AF, you are using the tiny square in the center of each focus point.

crasher8

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »
and I was using it to get out stains!

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »
When you look through the view finder, the array of focus points is a matrix of small squares.  But each of those small squares also has an even smaller square in the center of it.  When using Single Point AF, you are using the larger, outer square for that point.  When using Single Point Spot AF, you are using the tiny square in the center of each focus point.
I had assumed that when just the central spot has the dot in it, the single point spot AF was activated for that central spot. But when each of the array of squares has has a dot, it is an indication that the whole of that array is active, and not the centre of each component.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 02:03:21 PM »

Just to be clear, with Spot AF the actual AF point is still slightly larger than outer square.  The area being used for AF isn't nearly as small as the little inner box, that 'double' box is just the indication that Spot AF is being used.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »

Thanks.  This explains some things to me.  I had always been using spot AF and at times having a hard time getting focus.

I was canon manuals were this clear.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »
I was canon manuals were this clear.

I guess you are from a time after the Japanese company VCR manuals and the Millions of American households with blinking 12:00 LEDs. This is par for the course. ;)
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »

Just to be clear, with Spot AF the actual AF point is still slightly larger than outer square.  The area being used for AF isn't nearly as small as the little inner box, that 'double' box is just the indication that Spot AF is being used.
Ah, that clarifies why I have trouble getting focus on some of the smaller birds. I was aware of the difference in the two settings, but not aware of the AF coverage :)
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 04:36:59 AM »
Never knew that spot AF was slower in low light. Thanks for the tip!
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 04:36:59 AM »