September 30, 2014, 12:48:56 PM

Author Topic: 5D3 hiccup?  (Read 2105 times)

Cfunkexplosion

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
5D3 hiccup?
« on: March 02, 2013, 03:21:29 PM »
I've had my 5D3 since the summer, and until today I've had no issues.  During playing around with my macro and flash, the top wheel stopped functioning.  I could no longer change any settings, nor could I navigate through any menus.  It began functioning after I pulled the battery grip out for a second time, and appears to be functioning normally.  Anyone else experience a similar error?  Or perhaps it's just one of those strange goofs that seems to happen to electronics occasionally.  Either way I'll probably just take it to Canon for a checkup since it is close to my house, and I'd rather have it addressed while in warranty. 

Cheers.
Canon 5D3  /  Canon 8-15L  /  Canon 35L  /  Canon 85L  /  Canon 100L  /  Canon 580EX II  / Canon MR 14-EX

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 hiccup?
« on: March 02, 2013, 03:21:29 PM »

eos650

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D3 hiccup?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
Here are a couple of ideas:

Is it a possibility that the lock switch on the back of the camera got switched to locked? Depending on your custom settings, the lock switch can be set to disable the top wheel as well as the one on the back of the camera.

Are you using a non-Canon battery grip? I've read a number of reviews, where people have complained that their top wheel stopped working, while using a non-Canon grip and that after removing the grip, it started working again.

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
I've had this problem once before, but only when using a Pixel branded battery grip.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Andreas

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »
Yes, I had this issue several times and I use a canon battery grip. The top wheel freezes and with nothing you can restart it.  But as soon as I move the wheel on the battery grip the top wheel starts working again.  Happened 3-4 times already. Next time it does I will send it to Canon fo service

PhotoAviator

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • markamos.smugmug.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »
I've had the same thing happen a couple of times with my 5D2 and its genuine Canon grip. My best guess is that the wheel on the grip gets slightly off of a detent position and "locks out" the main wheel. As Andrea mentioned, moving the wheel on the grip back to a detent seems to correct the problem.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »