Rumors > Third Party Manufacturers

The last roll of Kodachrome – what would you shoot with the last 36 frames?

(1/10) > >>

Rienzphotoz:
Got an email from Planet 5D with the below content ... thought it was interesting enough to share

Posted on 03. Mar, 2013 by planetmitch in Stills

I found this on youtube yesterday and wanted to share it… a very poignant story about Steve McCurry’s personal project to use the very last roll of Kodachrome off the production line.

I’d sure have a hard time deciding what to shoot with this monumentally significant last roll of Kodachrome – and from the film, it is obvious that Steve had trouble with it too.

Steve McCurry is very well known and is probably most famous for this cover shot from National Geographic:

As posted in http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/03/the-last-roll-of-kodachrome-what-would-you-shoot-with-the-last-36-frames/

National Geographic: The Last Roll of Kodachrome

Mt Spokane Photography:
It was news back in 2010   http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2010/07/23/128728114/kodachrome
I guess it came back to life recently.

Don Haines:
I would celebrate by photographing the most photographed subject of all time.... the lens cap :)

Seriously though, wouldn't you hate being under pressure to perform and screw up big time instead?

Mt Spokane Photography:

--- Quote from: Don Haines on March 03, 2013, 12:33:56 PM ---I would celebrate by photographing the most photographed subject of all time.... the lens cap :)

Seriously though, wouldn't you hate being under pressure to perform and screw up big time instead?

--- End quote ---

It was the last roll to be developed, not the last roll to be shot.  If he had screwed up, he would just have pulled out another roll and used it / had it developed.
\There are still untold numbers of rolls of the film out there, just no one left to develop them.

hgraf:
Actually no, it was the last roll to come of the production line. I'm sure people are still shooting and developing Kodachrome today.

As for the pressure, this guy shot ALOT of rolls in his life, I don't think there was much pressure. He was using his DSLR to try out the shot and only when he got exactly what he wanted on his DSLR did he pull out his film SLR and commit the shot to film.

TTYL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version