August 20, 2014, 01:18:21 PM

Author Topic: Amazon vs B&H for purchase?  (Read 6173 times)

barfbaggs

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon vs B&H for purchase?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 11:30:05 AM »
I ended up going with Amazon because they offered 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime which meant 2 day free shipping so I will have it for my Birthday on the 6th.  So I saved about 50 dollars that way compared to B&H.   

Too late now as you have already ordered, but a quick look at B&H shows free shipping on all Canon bodies (and kits). They have always shipped my stuff the same day via UPS ground. I live in Atlanta, which like Chicago falls in the 2 day delivery range from the B&H zip. I always verify that my order will ship the same day and have always received my package 2 days later without fail.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 11:30:05 AM »

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »
Sounds like you already purchased, but for discussion:  I also got a 6D on Friday and am an avid Amazon Prime user, but I went with B+H for two reasons: assurance of authentic product (as discussed above), and they had a 30 day return policy instead of the 15 day I saw through Amazon (even if buying through Adorama).  B+H's fine print seemed a little more easy going than Adorama so I went for them even though I've had great experiences with Adorama in the past.  Unfortunately, I always seem to order camera parts on Friday afternoons, so the B+H shutdown bit me in the ass again.

Oh, and the B+H came with a free SD card and a camera pouch (to sit in my closet next to my unused Adorama pouch that came with my last camera).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »
Too late now as you have already ordered, but a quick look at B&H shows free shipping on all Canon bodies (and kits). They have always shipped my stuff the same day via UPS ground. I live in Atlanta, which like Chicago falls in the 2 day delivery range from the B&H zip. I always verify that my order will ship the same day and have always received my package 2 days later without fail.

Expensive items, yes.  The cheaper stuff with free shipping used to ship UPS ground, as well (and I'm in Boston, so that's overnight delivery).  Some months back, Adorama started using the 'slow boat' (varying forms of shipping with the USPS handling final delivery, e.g. UPS Mail Innovations, FedEx Smartpost, etc.) for free shipping on smaller items.  More recently, B&H followed suit.  So if you're ordering something from B&H that's not too expensive, check the shipping options - if it's called "SuperSaver" that means a few days for delivery.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.  However, I only buy top camera gear from Canon, B&H, and Adorama.  I simply don't trust Amazon due to my concern that some of their products are counterfeit.  I had a customer service issue with B&H and it was zero hassle.  If it were me, I would buy from B&H.

Amazon gets their products directly from Canon, just like B&H and Adorama.  There are third party sellers on Amazon that you should research before buying from them, but Amazon does not sell counterfit, and you should not spread rumors thru your ignorance.  Adorama also sells thru Amazon!

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 12:20:18 PM »
I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.  However, I only buy top camera gear from Canon, B&H, and Adorama.  I simply don't trust Amazon due to my concern that some of their products are counterfeit.  I had a customer service issue with B&H and it was zero hassle.  If it were me, I would buy from B&H.

Amazon gets their products directly from Canon, just like B&H and Adorama.  There are third party sellers on Amazon that you should research before buying from them, but Amazon does not sell counterfit, and you should not spread rumors thru your ignorance.  Adorama also sells thru Amazon!

It's worth restating, just because so many people don't look at who they're actually buying from when they purchase through Amazon.  I just had this talk with my wife this weekend; she assumed everything was purchased directly from Amazon.

When I was looking at 6Ds last week there was some vendor I'd never heard of coming in lower than Adorama (through Amazon).  Fine print shows that they don't accept (non-damaged) returns on anything over $1000.  They also had a pretty low review rating.  Personally saving $100 isn't worth that kind of risk on a big purchase item.

I was also surprised to find that Adorama's return period is 15 days if you buy through Amazon, but 30 if you buy through their site.

barfbaggs

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 12:30:13 PM »

Expensive items, yes.  The cheaper stuff with free shipping used to ship UPS ground, as well (and I'm in Boston, so that's overnight delivery).  Some months back, Adorama started using the 'slow boat' (varying forms of shipping with the USPS handling final delivery, e.g. UPS Mail Innovations, FedEx Smartpost, etc.) for free shipping on smaller items.  More recently, B&H followed suit.  So if you're ordering something from B&H that's not too expensive, check the shipping options - if it's called "SuperSaver" that means a few days for delivery.

You are absolutely correct! I guess it has been a while since my last B&H order. Seems even the 6D, which I would not exactly call cheap, is an extra $20 for UPS ground. Based on customer service history with B&H I'd probably still stick with them but the Amazon Prime membership suddenly looks a bit more attractive seeing it applies to items of any price.

chuckamuck

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »
When shopping for my 5D Mark III, I narrowed it down to Amazon and B&H because both had the same price.  I ended up going with Amazon because they offered several incentives -- a fantastic Lowe's bag, SD card and 2% cash back -- that B&H couldn't match (though they do offer 2% cash back on certain items now).

I live 10 blocks from B&H and have purchased all my lenses from them.  They're fantastic.  Great service, reliable, friendly.  It's just that Amazon had the better overall package when I ordered my camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
You can't beat the service of B&H. I've been buying from them for over 25 years now. When I have had a problem, which is rare, they always take care of me.
+1
B&H service is the very best I've ever dealt with ... if I ever need to rate the best customer friendly store, I'd say B&H. Not saying Amazon is bad but B&H is the best of the best
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
I ended up going with Amazon because they offered 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime which meant 2 day free shipping so I will have it for my Birthday on the 6th.  So I saved about 50 dollars that way compared to B&H.   
Congratulations! ... March 6th is very special to me ... my first child was born on that day ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY in advance!
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
Congrats!

Doesn't really matter (as long as you're buying direct from Amazon, not a 3rd party even if fulfilled by Amazon).

ditto!!

Also, nice with amazon.com, if you sign up for their store card, you can charge and with an amount like this, pay it off 12 mos interest free.

I like that!!

On the other hand, I bought my 5D3 from crutchfield, they too had a credit card for interest free payments (was nasty interest after that deal tho, so dropped it after paying off)....BUT one nice thing from that is Crutchfields rewards points system.

I got enough points off my initial purchase of the 5D3 and 85MM 1.8 lens, to where when the Canon lens rebates were on, I got a brand new 70-200MM USM L IS II  for about $1400 total.

Those rewards points can really add up on a large purchase, I even earned more points off that last lens purchase and will use those towards another lens when I get ready again, likely the 5OL.

Give them a look.

HTH,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »