October 21, 2014, 06:29:22 AM

Author Topic: UV filters (any difference?)  (Read 6936 times)

darkhound

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
UV filters (any difference?)
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
So I bought a couple lens recently (17-40mm and 24-105) and want to get some UV filters for them.

Is there any real difference between various filters?

For instance, Hoya UV filters range from $30 to to $110.  My gut reaction is that it is mostly marketing junk and the $30 one is fine.  But would appreciate anyone with knowledge or thoughts to the contrary!  Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

UV filters (any difference?)
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: UV filters (any difference?)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »
A cheap filter will negatively impact your sharpness, and add flare.  A good filter will not reduce sharpness, and will only very slightly increase flare.  I'd go with B+W MRC (or Nano) or a high end Hoya.  Skipping the filter is better than a cheap one (but your 17-40 needs one to complete the sealing).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:37:51 PM »
A cheap filter will negatively impact your sharpness, and add flare.  A good filter will not reduce sharpness, and will only very slightly increase flare.  I'd go with B+W MRC (or Nano) or a high end Hoya.  Skipping the filter is better than a cheap one (but your 17-40 needs one to complete the sealing).

^^^ +1 ^^^

A couple of years ago I had the same question, read the advice, tried the cheap ones anyway, now have only good ones after seeing everybody was right about getting good ones.

BTW, B&H has very good price for the 77mm B+W mrc (non-nano).
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

darkhound

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:06:18 PM »
 :-\ I had a feeling that I would have to pay for a decent filter.  Just bought a 6D so this is getting to be an expensive hobby!

Thanks for the suggestions.  One question - it seems that even the B&W MRC filter on the 17-40 will cause more vignetting.  I know the 6D has an autocorrect feature that fixes vignetting for specific lens including the 17-40, but are there any filters that are especially designed for wide-angle lens?  Or is this not really an issue?

Thanks again.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
Get the B+W XS-Pro mount. It's a slim filter, but still has front threads so the regular lens cap fits.

Simba

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »
Have anyone used Marumi DHG Super MC Lens Protect Slim Safety Filter?

khv3412

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
You do not need UV filter because the Canon L lens already got UV inside the lens. All you need is the best clear protector filter like B+W clear MRC protector filters to protect your expensive lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »
You do not need UV filter because the Canon L lens already got UV inside the lens. All you need is the best clear protector filter like B+W clear MRC protector filters to protect your expensive lens.

Where did you get that piece of information?

sanfranchristo

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 09:54:43 PM »
So I bought a couple lens recently (17-40mm and 24-105) and want to get some UV filters for them.

Is there any real difference between various filters?

For instance, Hoya UV filters range from $30 to to $110.  My gut reaction is that it is mostly marketing junk and the $30 one is fine.  But would appreciate anyone with knowledge or thoughts to the contrary!  Thanks.

There is most definitely a difference between various quality filters. B+W and Hoya multicoated filters are generally regarded as the best options. (I have B+W filters on nearly all my lenses, though I have seen tests where the Hoyas have been ranked slightly better for clarity/light passing - though it's probably imperceptible between those two options at the high end). Cheap filters like Tiffen, however, may create noticeable difference in your photos vs. none, so I'd avoid those for your everyday filters.

It is true that you do not really need the UV protection with a DSLR, though I've found the UV filters to be less expensive than their clear glass counterparts. Perhaps if I were working in a studio I would side with the purists who don't use any, but I'm too nervous about scratching the lens itself to go without one for protection.

I have a B+W MRC UV (regular, not slim) on my 17-40 and haven't noticed any issues with it.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:00:00 PM by sanfranchristo »

darkhound

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 11:30:30 PM »

I have a B+W MRC UV (regular, not slim) on my 17-40 and haven't noticed any issues with it.

Thanks!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »
Where did you get that piece of information?

The sensor in a current dSLR is effectively insensitive to UV light (I've empirically tested this with a 7D and 5DII, an appropriate light source with UV/Vis emission, and a set of narrow bandpass filters).  Therefore, for a dSLR there is no difference between using a clear filter and a UV filter. My advice is to get whichever is cheaper and/or more readily available for you.

MrFotoFool

• Canon 70D
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 01:27:19 AM »
Or you could do what I (and many other photographers) do and not put any filter on your lens.  I used to do it years ago until I was doing some night shots and the lights were reflecting off the inside of the filter causing a double image.  Maybe it was because I had a cheap filter, but I have since lived without them and my photographic life has been much happier.  Of course I am reasonably careful with my equipment, so if you are clumsy then by all means get one for protection.  But it is just my two cents worth that they are unnecessary.  Seems to me based on casual observation that snapshooters use them and serious photographers (especially pros) do not.  I suspect this is because the snapshooters are told by the salesperson at the camera shop that they have to have one.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 03:37:26 AM »
Seems to me based on casual observation that snapshooters use them and serious photographers (especially pros) do not.
Sounds like you never heard of  "serious photographers" who shoot in conditions where dust, dirt, sea water splashes, mist, condensation are an issue. Have you ever seen a photographer at a dirt bike race? or a speed boat race with the photographer following the speeds boats? or a photographer at a sand dune bash? ... FYI they do have filters on their lenses for protection ... unless you consider them "snapshooters". While I do understand/appreciate your point of view/choice, statements like "serious photographers" don't use them and only "snapshooters use them" sounds very naive to say the least.
Tonnes of professional photographers and "serious photographers" use protective filters. Yes there are many pros who don't use them but that is totally dependent on their situation/preference but it has nothing to do with being a "snapshooter" or a "serious photographer".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:46:15 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 03:37:26 AM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 08:11:17 AM »
Or you could do what I (and many other photographers) do and not put any filter on your lens.  I used to do it years ago until I was doing some night shots and the lights were reflecting off the inside of the filter causing a double image.  Maybe it was because I had a cheap filter, but I have since lived without them and my photographic life has been much happier.  Of course I am reasonably careful with my equipment, so if you are clumsy then by all means get one for protection.  But it is just my two cents worth that they are unnecessary.  Seems to me based on casual observation that snapshooters use them and serious photographers (especially pros) do not.  I suspect this is because the snapshooters are told by the salesperson at the camera shop that they have to have one.

And pros tend to insure their gear and/or use company/rented equipment.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 09:03:54 AM »
Seems to me based on casual observation that snapshooters use them and serious photographers (especially pros) do not.
Sounds like you never heard of  "serious photographers" who shoot in conditions where dust, dirt, sea water splashes, mist, condensation are an issue. Have you ever seen a photographer at a dirt bike race? or a speed boat race with the photographer following the speeds boats? or a photographer at a sand dune bash? ... FYI they do have filters on their lenses for protection ... unless you consider them "snapshooters". While I do understand/appreciate your point of view/choice, statements like "serious photographers" don't use them and only "snapshooters use them" sounds very naive to say the least.
Tonnes of professional photographers and "serious photographers" use protective filters. Yes there are many pros who don't use them but that is totally dependent on their situation/preference but it has nothing to do with being a "snapshooter" or a "serious photographer".

I always use filters because in the heat of photographic battle, you don't have time to cap your lenses sometimes and I could just chuck my lens in a bag w/o worrying about the front element.

A UV filter is piece of mind, and allows me to work quickly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 09:03:54 AM »