August 27, 2014, 05:05:08 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the Development of New High Sensitivity Sensor  (Read 21054 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Canon Announces the Development of New High Sensitivity Sensor
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 11:15:12 AM »
Large pixels generally have high read-noise which means they tend to have a tough time in such environments.  Read the text.  They claim to have developed technologies that counteract that affect (that read noise increases with pixel size).
Hmm, ok. But in the general discussion, noise increases when pixels get smaller (at Hi-ISO).

Yeah, but that's a myth.

It is only a "myth" assuming images are always compared on a size-normal basis. That is certainly a valid way to compare, and the only normalized way to compare. However...assuming one buys a higher resolution camera for the purposes of using it for its native resolution, rather than downscaled to something smaller...the increased noise of a higher density sensor is no myth.

Smaller pixels have a lower cap on charge. Lower charge means higher gain. Higher gain means that for any given illumination level photon shot noise is exacerbated by amplification, which results in higher noise at native size.

Amplification has nothing to do with it and well capacity only matters at base ISO.  And it's still a myth anyway as cutting pixel size by a factor of 16 (area) still allows double the resolving power at lower per-pixel noise in the final image because noise reduction software is so much better than spatial block averaging which is all bigger pixels do.

Well, now your just cheating, throwing NR into the mix. :P Assuming a level playing field, and the use of NR for all sensors being compared, there is still more per-pixel noise for sensors with smaller pixels even after NR. With the kind of NR you would need to make ISO 3200 look acceptable, you would also lose a considerable amount of good detail, diminishing or eliminating the benefit of having a higher resolution sensor.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
You missed my point entirely.   I'll spell it out.

You can cut the pixel linear dimension by a factor of four (giving you four time the resolving power), use NR to reduce the per-pixel noise to parity and still be left with twice as much resolving power.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »
You missed my point entirely.   I'll spell it out.

You can cut the pixel linear dimension by a factor of four (giving you four time the resolving power), use NR to reduce the per-pixel noise to parity and still be left with twice as much resolving power.

No, I understood your point (although, I think you mean cut the pixel pitch by two, for four times the resolving power...you can fit four 1/2-pitch pixels into a 1-pitch pixel when factoring in two dimensions...if you divide the original pitch by four, you end up with 16x the resolving power, as you could fit 16 1/4-pitch pixels in the area of a single 1-pitch pixel.) I don't deny that you gain resolution...you do. But there is most definitely an increase in per-pixel noise, which limits how far you can push ISO on the high end before noise becomes such a problem that even with maximal noise reduction, you can't "have your cake and eat it to." You either have very noisy detail, or smooth "pixels" that barely or don't even offer the same detail as a lower resolution sensor. I wouldn't say it is impossible to get small pixels performing on a similar level as larger pixels...assuming you can get enough light incident on the photodiode, you could probably normalize the difference and make the higher resolution of an APS-C perform just as well as the lower resolution of a FF sensor...but we don't yet have that technology in a camera you can actually buy yet, nor will in the near-term future. Maybe if newer technologies quickly find their way into DSLR products, we might see better native-size performance out of an APS-C sensor...but as it stands now, even with NR, bigger pixels are still less noisy...by a factor of 2x or more. Assuming you normalize reach, fill the frame with your subject in both cameras, the higher image resolution of the 5D III means it would outperform the 7D on all levels, including detail and noise.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Neo

• SX50 HS
  • Canon EOS 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »
I need this sensor for nighttime animals research. When will be available camera with this chip in market? And how much will it cost approximately?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »
I need this sensor for nighttime animals research. When will be available camera with this chip in market? And how much will it cost approximately?

This was a Canon announcement of a sensor development.  Plan on waiting 3-5 years for production, and then be greatly surprised and happy if it appears in a year.

Canon keeps their internal schedules secret, and leaks just don't happen.

Neo

• SX50 HS
  • Canon EOS 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »
TOKYO, Japan, September 12, 2013—Canon Inc. has successfully captured video footage of Yaeyama-hime fireflies flying in darkness, a feat made possible by the high-sensitivity 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor developed by Canon for video capture that was announced in March 2013. Canon Experimental Low Light Sensor

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
Impressive performance. Thanks for posting Neo.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2013, 04:49:12 PM »

It is a video chip and will appear in a surveillance camera.  Its likely that law enforcement, military, and large research institutions who can swallow a $100K price tag will be the initial market.  But, maybe I'll be surprised and it will only cost a quarter of that.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2013, 04:01:34 AM »
Impressive performance. Thanks for posting Neo.

this sensor does not look like it's got good DR though.   ;D

As far as I am concerned, I am not after night-vision photo-cameras but rather after a 35mm sensor camera beating the Nikon D800 on all IQ-counts [especially resolution, DR, noise] at a price-point not higher than a D800. Should be really easy for Canon to make, compared to fancy night-time bug-photography video gear. :-)

Neo

• SX50 HS
  • Canon EOS 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2013, 04:18:53 AM »
I shure the production cost of this sensor don't exceed price of the 1D X's sensor.  It have only larger microlenses above pixels and no more. It provides 3 stops sensitivity over. If you want to see how this sensor shots on 102400 ISO, you must shot by Nikon D4 on 12800 ISO by 2.7 crop mode (about 8 times less area than Full Frame).
But the Canon is very greedy and try to extract the greatest profit. Therefore the price will be overrate to >1000%:( So, I want to see in market at least a Sony NEX-FS100, upgraged to Full Frame (2.25 better sensitivity) by price about $8k.